By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita?

JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:

It's more of a combo of both actually.

How so?

Can't get in to specifics sorry. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not the same as just putting a wii in the wii u.

@bolded: Why not?

@underlined: It's not putting a Wii in the WiiU (ala the emotion engine in the early PS3s); the WiiU CPU (PowerPC by IBM) is an extension of that in the Wii, having obvious advancements but keeping what was previously present as well.

However, I will say that given the fact that things like Wii's Netflix doesn't work on WiiU (and I believe I've heard the WiiWare game LostWinds isn't compatible either), it leads me to believe that there is indeed a bit more to it somewhere in there.

Around the Network

I want 1 ^_^
But I'm not japanese -_-
I feel it can sell well but not at that level it's going to safe the vita

archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:
Can't get in to specifics sorry. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not the same as just putting a wii in the wii u.

@bolded: Why not?

@underlined: It's not putting a Wii in the WiiU (ala the emotion engine in the early PS3s); the WiiU CPU (PowerPC by IBM) is an extension of that in the Wii, having obvious advancements but keeping what was previously present as well.

However, I will say that given the fact that things like Wii's Netflix doesn't work on WiiU (and I believe I've heard the WiiWare game LostWinds isn't compatible either), it leads me to believe that there is indeed a bit more to it somewhere in there.

@@bolded: It's life man, but based off @underlined I seemed to have somewhat misinterpreted you anyway.

If the Vita TV succeeded then we might see a lot of games from third party devs. Just saying

No. I might be wrong, but what I see is that it goes against everything a handheld stands for. The fact that handheld games are releasing on it doesn't help its case. It just seems like a ridiculous idea to me.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
DucksUnlimited said:

They aren't completely different, and I wasn't claiming they were either.  However, some changes are made to handheld games so it is better suited for playing on the go.  While it is definitely easier to put a handheld game to a console than console to handheld, there is still a difference in how the games are designed.  That difference may not matter to someone who plays both handheld and console games.  However, a person who refuses to play handheld games for that very reason will have very little reason to buy a PS Vita at any price.  

Also, for your second paragraph, you said for anything.  An unreleased device, in particular, would always be conjecture.  For a video game itself, there's a lot of ways to predict the success without using incomplete information (in regard to make a prediction, since incomplete information by itself makes talking about anything conjecture whether it's predicting or not).  Essentially what I'm saying is that we have really no data that can tell us how the PS Vita TV will do, short term or long term.  Pre-orders for hardware act much differently than those for software.

Bolded: Let's just say that you're right (although you've done nothing specifically to demonstrate you are) about handheld games being designed differently The group of people who will refuse to play handheld games for that reason are very smal, because the difference, if it does exist, is very small. Most people who aren't interested in handhelds feel that way because of the hardware, not the software. They'd rather play on a big screen with a controller. Just as handheld only gamers prefer handhelds because of portability and immediacy.

When I said anything, I meant anything in terms of game hardware. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But I would disagree somewhat with you here as well. Software pre-orders usually predict the overall success for software much better than hardware pre-orders predict hardware success, yes. But hardware pre-orders still give a good idea of short-term success for consoles.

DucksUnlimited said:
MDMAlliance said:

They aren't completely different, and I wasn't claiming they were either.  However, some changes are made to handheld games so it is better suited for playing on the go.  While it is definitely easier to put a handheld game to a console than console to handheld, there is still a difference in how the games are designed.  That difference may not matter to someone who plays both handheld and console games.  However, a person who refuses to play handheld games for that very reason will have very little reason to buy a PS Vita at any price.  

Also, for your second paragraph, you said for anything.  An unreleased device, in particular, would always be conjecture.  For a video game itself, there's a lot of ways to predict the success without using incomplete information (in regard to make a prediction, since incomplete information by itself makes talking about anything conjecture whether it's predicting or not).  Essentially what I'm saying is that we have really no data that can tell us how the PS Vita TV will do, short term or long term.  Pre-orders for hardware act much differently than those for software.

Bolded: Let's just say that you're right (although you've done nothing specifically to demonstrate you are) about handheld games being designed differently The group of people who will refuse to play handheld games for that reason are very smal, because the difference, if it does exist, is very small. Most people who aren't interested in handhelds feel that way because of the hardware, not the software. They'd rather play on a big screen with a controller. Just as handheld only gamers prefer handhelds because of portability and immediacy.

When I said anything, I meant anything in terms of game hardware. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But I would disagree somewhat with you here as well. Software pre-orders usually predict the overall success for software much better than hardware pre-orders predict hardware success, yes. But hardware pre-orders still give a good idea of short-term success for consoles.

I'll respond to your last statement first and mention the fact that this thread is about "saving the PS Vita" which is in no way a short term goal.

Now, as for the first point, the paranthesis goes just as much to me as it does to you.  Just claiming something is a certain way doesn't mean it's true.  You can say most people think this and that, but without hard data it's just speculation.  So I think here's a good point to end the argument since I don't think we can find reliable hard data on this issue.

There are rumors that Vita TV will allow you to play PS4 multiplayer games that have split screen with each screen on a different TV! That alone sold me the console... I want to buy at least 4 so I can have one in each television in my apartment... I also want to buy it as gift to my little cousins whom I'm trying to make PlayStation fans like me :P

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

curl-6 said:
No, because Vita TV isn't the Vita. It's not a handheld and should not count as Vita sales.

It IS a PS Vita! Without the screen and the controller buttons. It's a portable console you can take in the palm of your hands to play in a TV anywhere... Great to take with you when going to a hotel, beach, friend's home, grandparent's house, crack house, ...

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

My normal answer would be no. But at 100 bucks, probably yes. But they should release it on west too, specially developing countries. A lot of people don't have money for a PS3 or 360, but a console for less than half that price? Actually, a hardware almost as powerfull as a PS3 for that price is an amazing value. I would buy one myself, and I already have a Vita. Why? Because it's so cheap that it isn't even a question.

Now, what "saving" means? Probably sell more than 40-50M units lifetime. With current sales, it would reach 15M or maybe 20M with luck, so saving would be reaching the other figure.