By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita?

As a developer, imagine wanting to make a game for PSVITA and PSVITA.TV. You only have to make ONE game! They are no different than the 3DS and 2DS, as far as development goes. Vita is a handheld, and Vita.TV is a home console, but at the end of the day they both play the exact same games. That's all that matters.

Vita and PS3 don't play the same games, gamecube and wii don't play the same games, and DS and 3DS don't play the same games. They are completely different.

Stop comparing 2DS/3DS with Vita TV/Vita. Vita 2000 model is like the 2ds, a downgrade but still handheld. Vita TV is not. Does Vita Do everything that Vita TV does? also its a home console. a house phone/cellphone arent the same thing yet are very very very similar.(maybe bad example)! Srry but even though i kno it'll sell well, its not the same thing. How about the super gameboy that connects Gameboy to the tv or that gba thing that connected to GCN. Did we count those for sales?

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

The Vita TV might save the Vita through third parties.  Just like Sony with the PSP, Sony just doesn't care to give enough support to the Vita.  They don't attempt to get games localized for their western audience to get games over here. 

Sony is constantly saying how there are an average of 10 games sold per Vita, but what are they doing about it?  They're not doing shit.  They're not doing anything to get more games to us.  It's like.  Thanks for buying lots of games, but you're shit out of luck.  You get what you get. 

Aww man do I share your pain but they did start this localization studio and showed they are still supporting the Vita. So I am willing to be patient but won't be holding my breath at the same time.

Edit: @tbone51: What did you do man? xD

i broke the thread o.O

tiffac said:

Discontinuing the Vita after advertising it as a companion device for the PS4 would not be good for Sony. It would not only show that Sony has no faith in their product but in their overall vision and strategy in the gaming market. It would just be a massive PR disaster if they run and quit now. 

Their best option is to lower the Vita's production (I think this has already been done), as it has found its niche audience. If they can advertise the VTV better and help localize those most wanted games stuck in Japan. Then maybe Sony could turn the Vita's fortunes around.

Edit: The PSV cannot relive the PSP success because Sony made a mistake by going with a western centric strategy on a handheld device which is not the core strength of the PSP. The only thing Sony can do is try to make the Vita into the next comeback kid (not necessarily going in par with the PSP sales) but at least within a respectable range when its life cycle ends.

Actually I think you're right that Discontinuing it might be a bad idea. It's just heartbreaking seeing all of these great games like Killzone Merc that obviously have heart in them and budgets comparible to their home console versions, completely flopping in the sales department time and time again.

archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:

It's more of a combo of both actually.

How so?

Can't get in to specifics sorry. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not the same as just putting a wii in the wii u.

tbone51 said:

Stop comparing 2DS/3DS with Vita TV/Vita. Vita 2000 model is like the 2ds, a downgrade but still handheld. Vita TV is not. Does Vita Do everything that Vita TV does? also its a home console. a house phone/cellphone arent the same thing yet are very very very similar.(maybe bad example)! Srry but even though i kno it'll sell well, its not the same thing. How about the super gameboy that connects Gameboy to the tv or that gba thing that connected to GCN. Did we count those for sales?

You completely missed/ignored my point. Does the DS do everything the DSi does? No. Does the 2DS do everything the 3DS does? No. Yet they are still the same family because they play the same games. There is zero difference between a vita and a vita.tv game.

The super gameboy and that gba thing were addons, so I don't see the relevance when disusing a stand alone console.

Also what was up with your reply? It broke the site for me.

Around the Network
VGhippy said:

Actually I think you're right that Discontinuing it might be a bad idea. It's just heartbreaking seeing all of these great games like Killzone Merc that obviously have heart in them and budgets comparible to their home console versions, completely flopping in the sales department time and time again.

I know I feel your pain but KZ: Mercenary is one of those western centric games that is not the core strength of the PSP. So the huge chunk of the fanbase has not upgraded to the Vita and will likely not pick up games like it even if they do, no matter the budget. This is why I said Sony made a mistake with their strategy.

@Joe

You fixed the thread xD

No, but it can only help sell more. Seems like Vita will end up around 20-30m lifetime sales max.

JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:

How so?

Can't get in to specifics sorry. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not the same as just putting a wii in the wii u.

tbone51 said:

You completely missed/ignored my point. Does the DS do everything the DSi does? No. Does the 2DS do everything the 3DS does? No. Yet they are still the same family because they play the same games. There is zero difference between a vita and a vita.tv game.

The super gameboy and that gba thing were addons, so I don't see the relevance when disusing a stand alone console.

lol, i dont kno how it broke. I still think its different but does it even matter if its combined? They show sales individual anyway. At the end of the day its vita and vita tv. Combine the sales or divide them. Vita TV>>>Vita (in sales) imo

tbone51 said:
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:

How so?

tbone51 said:

lol, i dont kno how it broke. I still think its different but does it even matter if its combined? They show sales individual anyway. At the end of the day its vita and vita tv. Combine the sales or divide them. Vita TV>>>Vita (in sales) imo

Sony will definitly not split up the sales in their reports, so you might not have a choice ;)

Just switch from a "handhelds" and "home consoles" section to "entry level devices" and "PS4"

If by "save" we mean make it sell well, nothing is gonna "save" the Vita short of a massive price cut, a huge advertising campaign and a load of great games from recognisable IPs.

And that isn't gonna happen. So I say accept the fact that this thing is never gonna sell well in the West and enjoy the games it has to offer. That's what I'm doing.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.