By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can someone explain to me WTF is the Steam Machine controller?

I'm going to buy one just to play some of games with. I am curious to know how well it works.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
richardhutnik said:
DonFerrari said:
PullusPardus said:

Pre-order one for me... must be carefull not to hurt it.

Which Pokemon is that?

Steammon

Is that the first stage, or the last stage, of its growth?

Explanation can be summed in one word: haptics.

Also, it supposedly works very well, which intruiges me even more

Hate the lack of left analog. Even if I get used to it there's a reason why track pads are used for aiming and not movement. They should have put at least one joystick on there for movement.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

richardhutnik said:
Assyrian612 said:
I'm excited for Valve, the controller is PC innovative minded and I like that. In terms of looks it's probably the ugliest thing I've seen since the Atari Jaguar game pad, but that's not to say it won't function well or even be better than expectations of critics. This is for PC gamers and only they can really understand and appreciate the controllers design. I'm curious to see how those dual pads will work; that could change a lot of things in the future.

I think the Steam Machine pad doesn't look too bad... for a set of speakers

lmaoooooo or a dock station

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
DonFerrari said:
richardhutnik said:
DonFerrari said:
PullusPardus said:

Pre-order one for me... must be carefull not to hurt it.

Which Pokemon is that?

Steammon

Is that the first stage, or the last stage, of its growth?

I think it's pre-evolution since they haven't show a final version yet.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

do you remember this? I hope that they release a version in which you can change it to face buttons / digital cross / analog sticks

I'm in a very awkward position where I don't want to put money out right for this but I SERIOUSLY wanna give this shit a try. It looks... interesting.

4 ≈ One

kakmalasch said:

do you remember this? I hope that they release a version in which you can change it to face buttons / digital cross / analog sticks

nice find/memory , seems it can be upgradable too.

What I see here as the big innovation is the two big haptic pads. They have ways of making a pad (or even a tablet) so that you can feel edges, textures, like there a thing is fuzzy or not. This could be utilized in some fairly interesting ways - say if your character was underwater - the movements could feel squishy, or fuzzy if you are petting a bunny rabbit in game.

The middle 'pad' thing seems rather awkward to use. And having to move your hands off the disk ares to click buttons just doesn't seem very helpful to me.

I think we should not the target of this seems to be people that are use to the mouse/keyboard. They often have a challenging moving to the two stick current controller environment. This might be easier for them.

But for regular console players, outside of a few games, not sure how this will fly. Some people can really work magic with their thumbs and two sticks. Still I would definitely try it though.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!