By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can someone explain to me WTF is the Steam Machine controller?

jimi13 said:
you know those "trackpads" reminds me a litle of the intelvision d-pad

http://artofgaming101.blogspot.se/2009/04/controllers-70s-to-80s.html

not sure if thats a good thing or not though

While yes, those were innovated, there weren't that great to use.  And it was more like a disk that you could press down in different ways, not really the tablet things they are showing here.

And as someone that likes to try new things, yes, I even had a 'Le Stick'.  (not my hand.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
arcelonious said:
I might give this gamepad a try, just for the simple fact that it has buttons for Quick Save and Quick Load. For example, I currently use a 360 controller while playing a game like Skyrim on PC, but still have to use my keyboard whenever I need to make a Quick Save/Quick Load. I'm also interested in how the trackpads will work out.

If you were on the Xbox 360 with Kinect you could say, "Quick Save" which is really, really, nice.  (Also, 'Sort by weight or value' are really helpful.)  And saying the shouts is just fun.

But, you would have to give up all those amazing mods.  So many wonderful mods for Skyrim.  Everything seems to come with a hitch.

Can you imagine trying to pick a lock with those Steam Trackpads?  Might be really cool.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

This thread makes me sad, but at least there are open-minded people trying the controller and saying great things about it.

That controller is a piece of crap. End of story.

Fascinating design but how will you ever play a fighter with that controller?

Around the Network
Mohasus said:

This thread makes me sad, but at least there are open-minded people trying the controller and saying great things about it.

This thread makes you sad? You should see the GAF thread. Or the comment sections on ign and gamespot. And if you read Maelstroms blogpost on this, u'd prolly just shed a tear or two.

That controller.... Might have to get a stream machine... Be cool if they gave it a cyber punk look

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Puppyroach said:
Fascinating design but how will you ever play a fighter with that controller?

The controller is supposed to have 6 fire buttons on the bottom (3 on each side), so if one is up for using their fingers, instead of thumb, that could work.  As for the pads one moves their thumbs over, need to see how the controls are with that.  I would be suspect, but it might work.

It looks interesting. I wonder how it's gonna work. I love the idea of the two new buttons on the back side, though I'm not so sure that the lack of a D-pad is a good idea. Also the left trackpad could be a normal analog stick, but I guess Valve wants to make it feel more revolutionary. I guess the price will be important.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Looks like poop to me... He called the shit, poop!