By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: 6 Things it Does Better

RedToof said:
I'd agree with the list, but I'd make #1 ACHIEVEMENTS!!

The concept of Achievements is huge, and really overlooked by non-360 players. It adds a lot of replay value to a game, gets you to perhaps explore games in new ways, and gives you the ability to compare how you are doing to a friend. Really adds a lot to the sense of community.

Note on the live file size limit: The file size limit only applies to Arcade titles. HD movies can be downloaded and they are often 5-6 GIG in size. The 360 also lets you start watching a movie download before it is finished. i.e. I just watched Transformers in HD (6 gig), and it was able to start playing within 5 minutes of clicking download. (The PS3 may do this too, I'm not sure)

See but I'm not a fan of "needless" achievments. Personally I could give a rat's ass about the size of my E-penis, if they make them actually mean something I'm all for it :D, unlockables are great, extra content, making of scenes, cheat codes etc etc. I mean I do think it's cool and all that you could go for some extra "objectives", but it's kinda like those flags in Assassins creed... you get them all, it tells you that you've gotten them all, and... well... congrats!... It's just empty :/ I'm not a big fan of achievements and I'm not sure but if they have the option to turn off the blip that shows up on your screen every time I'd personally choose to do away with it :x Unlockabales for the win :P

As for the video's, yes, you can download and stream it. However all we have are some developer diary's and stuff >_>; we don't have movies xD because SONY isn't on the ball with one area I feel they really should be :P

Thank you for the clarity on file size :P Why only for games? xD  That doesn't make much sense to me LOL

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

The article was really one sided and partly biased, and it would be really easy to write an article "7 things Wii/PS3 does better".

Totally lost faith in gamepro editors (how can anybody write so one-sided without taking into account the whole picture), and I won't go there again.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

@ChronotriggerJM

Achievements: Some developers do a better job with them than others. i.e. The flags in Assasin's Creed are lame. But I have found myself rescuing all the citizens and climbing all the towers in a city just for the achievements, I probably wouldn't have done that otherwise.

Some games, such as Mass Effect, actually do attach unlockables to achievements. For example, if you get the $1,000,000 credit achievement then you can buy special weapons you normally can't. Or if you get "I killed X badguys" achievment your charcter earns bonus XP when fighting them in the future, etc.

I agree, I'm not into "I am awesome because I have a gamer score of X" but it is fun to see if a friend has made it as far as you in a game, or has finally nailed all those songs on hard in GHIII etc.

File Size limit: The file size limit is for arcade games mostly because (I think) of MS's desire to support 360's with no hard drives. They want arcade games to fit on the memory sticks. It used to be very tiny (50MB) and was recently upped to 150mb. I expect we'll see this number grow over time.

My 360 can blog!

Gamers have 3 choices this generation: The Exercise Machine, the Movie Machine, or the Game Machine.  What kind of gamer are you?

Legend11 said:
Why are so many people wanting to troll this topic? The 360 is BETTER at the things mentioned, end of story. If you don't like that fact it's too bad because your personal opinions about how important those points are and predictions of the future change nothing about the points made in the original post.

There are way too many insecure fanboys that get worked up whenever any kind of paise is given to the 360, it's pretty sad really. Every console does some things better than their competition so take off the fanboy blinders and accept it.

Whether or the 360 provides the better online experience depends on the user, now doesn't it?

The 360 being better at it is not fact, it's opinion. One person's idea of good, bad, better, and worse doesn't encompass the entire world.

Most gamers just want online gameplay and could not care less about the features that the article is praising, and the fact that Sony and Nintendo are offering it for free nullifies those all of those points as far as they are concerned. 

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:
Legend11 said:
Why are so many people wanting to troll this topic? The 360 is BETTER at the things mentioned, end of story. If you don't like that fact it's too bad because your personal opinions about how important those points are and predictions of the future change nothing about the points made in the original post.

There are way too many insecure fanboys that get worked up whenever any kind of paise is given to the 360, it's pretty sad really. Every console does some things better than their competition so take off the fanboy blinders and accept it.

Whether or the 360 provides the better online experience depends on the user, now doesn't it?

The 360 being better at it is not fact, it's opinion. One person's idea of good, bad, better, and worse doesn't encompass the entire world.

Most gamers just want online gameplay and could not care less about the features that the article is praising, and the fact that Sony and Nintendo are offering it for free nullifies those all of those points as far as they are concerned. 

Really?  Ok I'll bite.  Which console is better than the 360 at integrating custom soundtracks?  Which console's communications system is better than the 360's?  The person who wrote the article gave very good reasons to back up their statements so how about you giving some to back up yours?  Tell us why for example the 360's friend management system isn't superior to the other consoles?

"Most gamers just want online gameplay and could not care less about the features that the article is praising"???  So voice chat and friend management aren't important?  Look we get it, you're one of the people that don't want to give the 360 credit even where it deserves it, but it does deserve credit and the points made in the original article are very valid.

Around the Network

Which console is better than the 360 at integrating custom soundtracks?

My PC

Most gamers just want online gameplay and could not care less about the features that the article is praising"??? So voice chat and friend management aren't important? Look we get it, you're one of the people that don't want to give the 360 credit even where it deserves it but it does deserve credit and the points made in the original article are very valid.

I honestly dont care much for that list. If it was something i was truly intrested in i would give it credit. but my cell phone lets me communicate very well with my friends. My PC also allows me to tal to them. When I'm playing a game why do i want to chat with them? i really dont care.

PooperScooper said:
Which console is better than the 360 at integrating custom soundtracks?

My PC

Most gamers just want online gameplay and could not care less about the features that the article is praising"??? So voice chat and friend management aren't important? Look we get it, you're one of the people that don't want to give the 360 credit even where it deserves it but it does deserve credit and the points made in the original article are very valid.

I honestly dont care much for that list. If it was something i was truly intrested in i would give it credit. but my cell phone lets me communicate very well with my friends. My PC also allows me to tal to them. When I'm playing a game why do i want to chat with them? i really dont care.

From the article: "Two years after its release, we examine six things the Xbox 360 does better than the PS3 and Wii.".  Seriously, read the article next time before posting.