By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve is making a huge mistake with the Steam Machine

Tagged games:

thranx said:
so people who hate windows will ove this. yes thats true. but that is the same reason it wont be a game changer. you already hated windows, this did nothing to change your opinion. the average consumer will use what prevailant and easy and cheap. valve with the steam box doesnt cover those bases. they may be easy, but probably not as easy as a console, they be cheap, but will probably have different price levels so only some will be cheaper, i doubt they will be more prevailant than the big three as vavle has no good means on distribution yet. so just not a game changer. but great for peopl who hate windows (why hate something inamate i dont know).

Edit: in 10 years all people will be using is their cell phones. no need for dedicated devices when a cell phone hooked to a screen will do the same things wi th the same power (almost at least). at least thats how i see the futre, the fight is between iOS, android, and windows 8, of which steam will be supported in all three (i hope atleast, just waiting on android support)

By "hate" I mean that I have a fundamental problem with it.

I'm into open source things. That's what Valve stands for. Hence they've embraced Linux (damn straight).

I don't have the capacity to reply to every one of your points or to attempt to argue against them. Many of your points are certainly valid. I'm just excited by this development that's all :)

But I do see a persistent steambox in the living room of most gamers in the future.

Around the Network

I personally don't care about this....itll carve out a niche, but I don't think it is a true competitor to the big 3

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It's going to fail and it's pretty easy to see why.

For starters unless the hardware manufactures get subsidies from Valve (which will obviously never happen) they'll have no incentive to sell hardware at a loss so you're going to see the Steam Machines going up against consoles with a price advantage.

The vast majority of the buying public won't even jump in until the systems reach $199-$249 and it's hard to imagine Steam Machines reaching that point anywhere close to when XB1/PS4/WiiU will. Microsoft could easily afford to lose $50-$100 per box to reach that point if there's a lot of market pressure for example (they'd get most if not all of it back in Live subscriptions and in game sales).

Digital only will cut off a large portion of the public that don't have the internet connection required to download games in the 20-50gig range.

The majority of PC core gamers likely already have a gaming PC so it's hard to believe they're going to abandon/sell such PCs to buy a Steam Machine and use a console controller over a keyboard and mouse. So you're going to be looking at a small subset that will want both a gaming PC and a Steam Machine.

It's likely that Valve won't put everything on the line and put the hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising, etc required to compete with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and instead leave that up to the hardware manufacturers and publishers. This will be extremely risky as it drives up the retail cost of Steam Machines and relies on publishers not favoring the competition if piracy becomes an issue.

leyendax69 said:
DialgaMarine said:
leyendax69 said:

Who knows, but "Reason # 4: They'll be going up against already well established names". The same happens with Sony & the first playstation, and they won the generation. Valve has a renown thanks to its digital platform.
Maybe, they are gonna destroy the competence :P

True, but Sony's only real competition at the time was Nintendo, and they're main advantage was loads of third party support, something that Nintendo didn't have. Sony did what they still do to this day and marketed the console as the one with a multitude of games to play, while Nintendo just kindof marketed... well... Nintendo. Valve doesn't have that advantage, especially not in the console buisiness. Clearly that ball is Sony and MS's court and it won't be leaving anytime soon.

Yeah, but If I'm not wrong, this is going to have almost the entire steam library? That's a lot of third party support, right?

And with a possible HL3, Portal 3 and some other exclusive or timed-exclusive this could be a success, I guess.

I'm hoping that one of the machines is a $600 or so powerhouse that can give me prettier multiplats and games like Rome 2 that I can't get on playstation 4.  Ill of course get ps4 for exclusives (most of my ps3 library is exclusives)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Well, SteamMachine looks interesting for me. I came into console gaming, because I ditched Windows years ago, but felt a need for gaming. Consoles filled that void. Now, the SteamMachine could be perfect for the multiplats. Perfect as secondary console for WiiU. The biggest question will be the price.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
pezus said:
Xenostar said:
pezus said:

Steam OS is a full OS. Why would you want Windows if you can do most things on Linux anyway? 

The same reason the mass market currently is not running linux PCs, the software support is lacking and the userbility is hurrendous when compared to windows. 

This OS may make playing games slightly easier, but with a massivley limited linux catalogue, no exclusive games and hardware that is just as expensive as buying a normal PC as the manufactures will be in it for making profit off the hardware as im sure Valve wont be sharing there cut of the software sales. 

You know Valve is working on it though. The library won't seem limited down the road and I'm sure Steam OS will be way more user friendly than the usual linux OS. It's designed for gaming in the living room after all and you know Gaben always means business when he does something. But of course the hardware will profit. Still, One and PS4 are close to profiting and they are high-powered, streamlined gaming machines but not nearly as expensive as powerful PC rigs.

PS4 and One are close to minisule profits, hardware manufactureres cant live on these tiny margins, they need to be high margin or they will not be there unless valve starts profit sharing,

thranx said:
Dr.Grass said:

I know. That's what I'm doing every day (my flatmate is a massive Valve fanboy and spends a ton of his money on Steam games). Yes I have used it.

Point is, if the consolidate the service then the average gamer will see the benefit of Steam. Basically the Xbox One was supposed to be what the Steambox will be. 

You really don't think this is gonna be a game changer?

it cant be. it would have to be new. it isnt. any one who wants this can do it with a windows pc. just simply plug the pc into your tv ans use steam. It cant compete with the one as it lacks kinect. with out voice control it doesn't offer the ease of xbox one for watching media. I plan on using the xbox one as my main media device for streaming video and watching tv, and i plan on using my pc with steam for gaming. but all the steam box is is a pc without windows, and those have not done well. apple didnt do well (in the pc market share area), chrome hasn't done well, linux (ubuntu) hasn't done well. i think it will be good for steam and valve as it will expand their audience, but not massivly or in a game changing way. more just one more step along valves path. even steam wasn't a game changer in the begining, it took many steps and years.

Yes, anyone can plug a pc into the tv with hdmi nowadays. I do it often, and it's annoying. Turn of pc (hope there are no updates waiting to be installed) unplug all the cables, move it to the tv, plug it in to play a game. Grab the keyboard and the mouse for the stuff that isn't mapped to the controller and have it sit akwardly on the armrest. Then do the whole ritual in reverse to use it behind the desk for stuff that really needs proper mouse control.

A dedicated box is a lot more convenient, otherwise I wouldn't mostly be gaming on consoles nowadays. Instead of buying a separate pc for the living room, this seems to be a very good alternative.

SvennoJ said:
thranx said:
Dr.Grass said:

I know. That's what I'm doing every day (my flatmate is a massive Valve fanboy and spends a ton of his money on Steam games). Yes I have used it.

Point is, if the consolidate the service then the average gamer will see the benefit of Steam. Basically the Xbox One was supposed to be what the Steambox will be. 

You really don't think this is gonna be a game changer?

it cant be. it would have to be new. it isnt. any one who wants this can do it with a windows pc. just simply plug the pc into your tv ans use steam. It cant compete with the one as it lacks kinect. with out voice control it doesn't offer the ease of xbox one for watching media. I plan on using the xbox one as my main media device for streaming video and watching tv, and i plan on using my pc with steam for gaming. but all the steam box is is a pc without windows, and those have not done well. apple didnt do well (in the pc market share area), chrome hasn't done well, linux (ubuntu) hasn't done well. i think it will be good for steam and valve as it will expand their audience, but not massivly or in a game changing way. more just one more step along valves path. even steam wasn't a game changer in the begining, it took many steps and years.

Yes, anyone can plug a pc into the tv with hdmi nowadays. I do it often, and it's annoying. Turn of pc (hope there are no updates waiting to be installed) unplug all the cables, move it to the tv, plug it in to play a game. Grab the keyboard and the mouse for the stuff that isn't mapped to the controller and have it sit akwardly on the armrest. Then do the whole ritual in reverse to use it behind the desk for stuff that really needs proper mouse control.

A dedicated box is a lot more convenient, otherwise I wouldn't mostly be gaming on consoles nowadays. Instead of buying a separate pc for the living room, this seems to be a very good alternative.

so just keep the pc hooked up to the tv, or connect it to the tv as a second moniter. than no need to disconnect. use a xbox controller, or a wireless keyboard and mouse. its all the same. its just not a game changer, it doesn't do anything new. People game on consoles as there is no need to worry about driver support, or games conflicting with anything. since steam is not doing just one console, but sounds like many, they will still have these issues. they will be keeping the only negative about pc's, friver issues, and game compatibilty issues. the only way to avoid it is to have only 1-3 configurations, but they are partnering with multiple hardware manufactures so i doubt that to be the case.

I thought someone would of said, they are also releasing a speaker set as the controller

Either that, or it is some unnamed Pokemon

Valve sparked my interest... now, waiting for the specs of the machines and feel out the new controller. Curious more than anything. They already have an enormous library and 50+ million members, so, I can't see this being a failure.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179