By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve is making a huge mistake with the Steam Machine

Tagged games:

pezus said:
Xenostar said:
If they make a sub £100 streaming box so i can play the PC games in my lounge ill buy that for sure, mass market interest in a PC that can only be used for playing games with no first party exclusives practically zero, people will just upgrade there PC's/

It can not only be used for playing games. It's an open system, you can do what you want. It's just running an OS and has hardware that will be optimized for (living room) gaming.

yeah i know but to go to the effort of buying one then buying a windoes license to dual boot it and use it as a PC as well, why would anyone not just buy a PC to begin with, anf forgo the hassle of duel booting. 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Xenostar said:
pezus said:
Xenostar said:
If they make a sub £100 streaming box so i can play the PC games in my lounge ill buy that for sure, mass market interest in a PC that can only be used for playing games with no first party exclusives practically zero, people will just upgrade there PC's/

It can not only be used for playing games. It's an open system, you can do what you want. It's just running an OS and has hardware that will be optimized for (living room) gaming.

yeah i know but to go to the effort of buying one then buying a windoes license to dual boot it and use it as a PC as well, why would anyone not just buy a PC to begin with, anf forgo the hassle of duel booting. 

Steam OS is a full OS. Why would you want Windows if you can do most things on Linux anyway? 

The same reason the mass market currently is not running linux PCs, the software support is lacking and the userbility is hurrendous when compared to windows. 

This OS may make playing games slightly easier, but with a massivley limited linux catalogue, no exclusive games and hardware that is just as expensive as buying a normal PC as the manufactures will be in it for making profit off the hardware as im sure Valve wont be sharing there cut of the software sales. 

In my opinion it will sell to those gamers who dont want a PC/Windows based system. For me whos been gaming on Steam for 8+ years on Windows, its worthless to me. If i want to game in the lounge room ill just plug my tower next to the TV and play.

Unless they release HL3 on SteamBox as a timed Exclusive (which would screw over 50+million of there supporters) i cant see many Steam owners buying one.

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
Locura XD said:
You're thinking wrong. What other OS is on multiple hardware, digital only with their own store, android. Steam OS wants to do the same style but in PC. This is just advertising to reach more market. In a few years we will see multiplet Steam Machine at various prices, as we now see with android tablet.

But the steam service isnt being withdrawn from the PC, so your analogy is wrong.

There is no need to buy a steam box to access the steam library.

Withdrawn from the PC? The steam machines are PCs...

They will hopefully be a better option for mainstream gamers that just don't want to have to go through all the trouble that can come with traditional PC gaming (in other words: console gamers).

Yes.

I did not say it was withdrawing from the pc, but it was to reach more markets. Is like saying when google launched android OS they withdrawn chrome, etc from the pc.
The part of the andorid was we will see in many models, for
example from galaxy/alienware or nexus/steam machine to generic tablet/custom or cheap pc.
Steam are not trying to steal/leave some marketshare but expanding his marketshare.

landguy1 said:
SvennoJ said:

1. Valve is going after a market that is already used to all games being digital. There won't be any backlash this time as it is not removing features (trading, lending, etc) that people were used to having. Plus people will expect the cheap prices to continue, as opposed to console digital games that have always been more expensive then a physical copy.

2. Some exclusives will come (HL3?), PC exclusive games might get some extra optimization for the Steam hardware. Anyway it won't matter that much when you can get the same AAA games for $10 or less.

3. The average user on Steam doesn't have a very strong PC and doesn't spend thousands of dollars to keep up with the latest GPU's. The average user plays games on their home office PC or laptop. A simple box to put under the tv would be appealing to the average user.

4. Steam is a very well established name and already offers many of the features of psn and xbox live, for free.

To your points:

1.  Agreed, no one is expecting anything else from this.

2.  As a steam user, I have never run into the $10 AAA title.  Maybe 2 years old stuff is that way, but then only if it sucked to begin with.

3.  This is mostly correct, but that actually would support the idea that the Steam boxes will fail.  Most users don't want to buy a special box/pc to play games, they use what they already have.  So, why would they bother to buy a special box that is more complicated to learn and won't have all the same stuff as a regular PC?

4.  Steam is well established, but only with people outside the casual crowd.  Most casual gamers are more interested in IOS or Android apps.  Still free and very cheap.

Most 2 year old games are $10 or less in sales. And you don't have to wait that long, Tombraider was on for $12.49 just recently.

It all depends on price wether the Steam box will be a success. Sure the average user is not going to fork over $600 dollars to have dedicated box under the tv.
The point of the whole thing is to make it less complicated, why would it be more complicated then a regular pc? It appeals to me for 2 reasons, it's not associated with work which a pc is for me, and I would expect that everything that runs on it will have been certified for use on TV with a controller, like a console. No need to find and copy ini files from the web to get Anti chamber to use a controller, or get stuck with a horrible control scheme in Mirrormoon for example. (fun game though)

I don't know if the casual crowd doesn't use Steam. Do casuals only play on facebook and mobiles?

Around the Network

we already have PCs for steam...steam box is unnecessary and nobody will buy it to replace their PC

DieAppleDie said:
we already have PCs for steam...steam box is unnecessary and nobody will buy it to replace their PC

it cant replace a pc. it only does games. I think that is why it will fail. steam on pc's is great because it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Have a work machine, and a game machine, vs just a game machine

DieAppleDie said:

^^^Essentially what you said!^^^

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Every single one of you will look like fools in 3 years. Valve = genius.

And they're not trying to "dethrone" anyone really. There's just a lot of space in the living room for what they're offering. As a Linux fanboy (yeah I said it) and a major admirer of Valve (though I don't do Steam really), I have to say that I will certainly be getting one.

I mean, it's a better buy than a PC for the living room since it will do everything the PC does already.

Can't believe the users here aren't aware of Valve's midas touch.

Not to mention that they have the most loyal fanbase out there.

I can literally customize every single aspect of my living room with Linux running EVERYTHING. FUCK YOU WINDOWS. Useless OS.

Once you've sat on the couch with a controller (xbox or ps3 you choose) and download a game for $15 which is $60 on consoles and you're playing it at MUCH better graphical settings then you'll KNOW that this isn't some ruse. This is real.

Don't be afraid of change people. Playstation isn't going anywhere... The Xbox however... Might just be displaced.