By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve is making a huge mistake with the Steam Machine

Tagged games:

When did they even say they want to dethrone Sony/MS? That was a sensationalistic headline, I didn't see anything in the article that suggested as much.

Around the Network
Locura XD said:
You're thinking wrong. What other OS is on multiple hardware, digital only with their own store, android. Steam OS wants to do the same style but in PC. This is just advertising to reach more market. In a few years we will see multiplet Steam Machine at various prices, as we now see with android tablet.

But the steam service isnt being withdrawn from the PC, so your analogy is wrong.

There is no need to buy a steam box to access the steam library.

I'm not really here!

landguy1 said:

2.  As a steam user, I have never run into the $10 AAA title.  Maybe 2 years old stuff is that way, but then only if it sucked to begin with.

Not familiar with Steam sales, then. Almost everything on Steam goes down to at least $10 at some points, excluding a few huge games like Skyrim and CoD.

Xenostar said:
If they make a sub £100 streaming box so i can play the PC games in my lounge ill buy that for sure, mass market interest in a PC that can only be used for playing games with no first party exclusives practically zero, people will just upgrade there PC's/

It can not only be used for playing games. It's an open system, you can do what you want. It's just running an OS and has hardware that will be optimized for (living room) gaming.

pezus said:
Xenostar said:
If they make a sub £100 streaming box so i can play the PC games in my lounge ill buy that for sure, mass market interest in a PC that can only be used for playing games with no first party exclusives practically zero, people will just upgrade there PC's/

It can not only be used for playing games. It's an open system, you can do what you want. It's just running an OS and has hardware that will be optimized for (living room) gaming.

yeah i know but to go to the effort of buying one then buying a windoes license to dual boot it and use it as a PC as well, why would anyone not just buy a PC to begin with, anf forgo the hassle of duel booting. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Locura XD said:
You're thinking wrong. What other OS is on multiple hardware, digital only with their own store, android. Steam OS wants to do the same style but in PC. This is just advertising to reach more market. In a few years we will see multiplet Steam Machine at various prices, as we now see with android tablet.

But the steam service isnt being withdrawn from the PC, so your analogy is wrong.

Withdrawn from the PC? The steam machines are PCs...

They will hopefully be a better option for mainstream gamers that just don't want to have to go through all the trouble that can come with traditional PC gaming (in other words: console gamers).

Xenostar said:
pezus said:
Xenostar said:

yeah i know but to go to the effort of buying one then buying a windoes license to dual boot it and use it as a PC as well, why would anyone not just buy a PC to begin with, anf forgo the hassle of duel booting. 

Steam OS is a full OS. Why would you want Windows if you can do most things on Linux anyway? 

pezus said:
Xenostar said:
pezus said:
Xenostar said:

Steam OS is a full OS. Why would you want Windows if you can do most things on Linux anyway? 

The same reason the mass market currently is not running linux PCs, the software support is lacking and the userbility is hurrendous when compared to windows. 

This OS may make playing games slightly easier, but with a massivley limited linux catalogue, no exclusive games and hardware that is just as expensive as buying a normal PC as the manufactures will be in it for making profit off the hardware as im sure Valve wont be sharing there cut of the software sales. 

In my opinion it will sell to those gamers who dont want a PC/Windows based system. For me whos been gaming on Steam for 8+ years on Windows, its worthless to me. If i want to game in the lounge room ill just plug my tower next to the TV and play.

Unless they release HL3 on SteamBox as a timed Exclusive (which would screw over 50+million of there supporters) i cant see many Steam owners buying one.

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
Locura XD said:

Withdrawn from the PC? The steam machines are PCs...

They will hopefully be a better option for mainstream gamers that just don't want to have to go through all the trouble that can come with traditional PC gaming (in other words: console gamers).

Yes.

I did not say it was withdrawing from the pc, but it was to reach more markets. Is like saying when google launched android OS they withdrawn chrome, etc from the pc.
The part of the andorid was we will see in many models, for
example from galaxy/alienware or nexus/steam machine to generic tablet/custom or cheap pc.
Steam are not trying to steal/leave some marketshare but expanding his marketshare.