By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Dedicated Fans Keeping Vita from Getting Shelved

vita is my an amazing bit of hardware. certainly the best handheld device i've ever owned. it is the only handheld device that i've ever respected enough to play in my home, ever other device was too "gimped" to get play any other time except vacations.

...i just wish sony put more 1st party effort into it. it get's a back seat to ps3/ps4. :(

Around the Network

"This strong positive response hasn’t gone to Sony’s head, though. The company knows there are drawbacks to the Vita."

I wonder how Sony has managed to stay humble in reaction to the market's overwhelmingly positive response to the Vita.

(I'm getting a bit dizzy from the spin on this article.)

Well I've shown my support for the console, now it's time for Sony to kick it up a notch.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

You mean if we stop talking about the Vita it will just go away?

They should release a Vita Phone, handheald gaming is so 2006.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
"This strong positive response hasn’t gone to Sony’s head, though. The company knows there are drawbacks to the Vita."

I wonder how Sony has managed to stay humble in reaction to the market's overwhelmingly positive response to the Vita.

What are you talking about? the general media reaction and market is that its a good handheld but is pricey.

Sometimes I wish Sony had never made the Vita. I've got one and I like it, but I'll be honest, I'd rather have Uncharted GA, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Daze, Soul Sacrifice and so on, on my PS3. They are great games and just deserve better sales. And I'd rather play them on a screen bigger than 5 inches. I'd love it if Sony could put the studio's developing VITA games to PS3 and 4 development instead. I know it's mean spirited but I'm hoping that poor sales of Killzone will finally make Sony wake up and realise that its home console department is the way to go.

gooch_destroyer said:

PS Vita is now selling for about £70 less than this time last year, and the games are getting cheaper too, and we've got a Mega-Pack program, which is eight to ten games and a memory stick rolled in for free, and we've seen that as an attractive proposition.”

How in teh world can any company see that as good news?

That more sounds like a closeout sale than something someone would do for an ongoing business.  

I mean how much money are they losing on this Mega-Pack.  

How many games does that one consumer have to buy in order for Sony to start making money on them?

PullusPardus said:
JWeinCom said:

What are you talking about? the general media reaction and market is that its a good handheld but is pricey.

No, the general reaction from the market is apathy.  The general reaction from the market is "this isn't worth $250" and later "this isn't worth $200". Basically, the article is focusing on a minority within the gaming world and trying to paint an overall postitive picture of the Vita based on that.  That's what we call spin.  "Hey Sony, the Vita is selling worse than the PSP and Wii U, but a small group of people really like it.  Try not to let that success go to your head guys!!!"

Just imagine the same article, but with the word Vita replaced with Wii U.  How do you think people would be reacting?  There are a lot of people who love the Wii U.  Lately, Wii U is the only thing I'm playing while my 360 and PS3 collect dust.  Does this mean in any way shape or form that the Wii U is doing well?  Nope.  Does it mean Nintendo is at risk of letting success go to their head? Lol, of course not. 

The point is, if you want to write an article about the Vita, you have to be honest about it.  That doesn't mean you can't be optimistic, but you can't blatantly ignore the facts.  You can't say things like "The price cut has eliminated one of the biggest knocks against the Vita, and with so many indie games releasing in the coming months, there might soon be little to complain about. " because the price cut had no meaningful impact, and indie games have NOT been shown to move systems.  You can't say things like "This strong positive response hasn’t gone to Sony’s head, though" when the Vita is clearly tanking.  My point is not to insult the Vita, but this horridly biased and poorly written article.

irstupid said:
gooch_destroyer said:

PS Vita is now selling for about £70 less than this time last year, and the games are getting cheaper too, and we've got a Mega-Pack program, which is eight to ten games and a memory stick rolled in for free, and we've seen that as an attractive proposition.”

How in teh world can any company see that as good news?

That more sounds like a closeout sale than something someone would do for an ongoing business.  

I mean how much money are they losing on this Mega-Pack.  

How many games does that one consumer have to buy in order for Sony to start making money on them?

i do not think very much if any for Sony at this point to make Profit on the PSVita since the PSVita TV is the same hardware - some thing's like screen and touch pad and camera's, if anything they are most likely breaking even or even @ small profit with the PSVita hardware right now because they are using Arm Holding's Chips. just because you are giving away digital releases does not mean they are going to loose a ton of Money on the system. Many here keep looking at this as ..it must do this or that level, "right now" or its a failure.

yes the PSVita could do better, what product in the market could not do better? All products sell through is not going to be the same , if you think Sony would not want it to be better ? yeah they would like nothing better but groaning about its market performance is not going to do them eany good right now, they know what level of performance it takes for them to reach profit. and they are getting to that.

the Fact that they are still despite its performance of the system in the market, still striving to put more effort into the platform shows that they are just not going to up and quite the system. Market could decide that for them , but has not done that yet. and So they may be low man on the totem pole but atleast they still are selling unit's of the system. its still on the retail shelf and it also looks to be generating some profit to boot for them.

you have a business plan set aside for a products life cycle, Sony's for every playstation is 10 year's..Now if they reach that goal with a product that is the Question. So Far they have A: that Question, the PSVita is not a PSPGo, its doing far better than the PSPGo and that was pulled very quickly. And the PSVita is not. The fact that Sony see's this means they are taking the long haul Like they have done with every Playstation platform. the PSVita is no different.

Right now Sony know the comp. is stiff, but yet they also know that mobile devices as a whole are looked as to be connected to the living room Hub, there was a reason why Mark Cerny was set to head development for the PSVita and PS4.. he knows his stuff, yes that does not mean that Mark or his team or Sony cannot fail at the task at hand it just means they are up for the challenge to try to make a product that can sell and make the company money.

and since the PSVita is not the same loss leading platform as the PS3 was , i think there is less of a problem in generating profits from the PSVita as it was for the PS3.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.