By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japan saved the 3DS, and United States will save the Wii U

fatslob-:O said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes there may very well be some overlap in fans of both series but to act like games in different genres on different platforms, aimed at differemt demographics will hurt each others sales is ridiculous. That may be true if one of the games is a traditionally low selling or unproven new franchise but 3D Mario doesnt fit into either of those categories and has sold on average about 8m units per entry and I dont see that changing because of games like Battlefield

You are right about the game having an average of 8mil consistenly but I'm pretty the WII U's philosophy is closer to gamecube than wii and plus it is doing worse than gamecube on the same time frame. It's easy to expect it to sell lower than 7mil. Hell it might not even hit 6mil.

3D World definitely has more mainstream appeal than Sunshine but regardless of how 3D World sells do u believe Iit will be a direct result of games like Battlefield?

You are right that it won't be a direct result of selling poorly because of games like battlefield however it still has some effect but what I would be more worried is how strong the 3D mario brand is. 

Well thats what ur original post implied, u said 3D World will face alot of trouble going against multiplat games.

Also in ur original post u said Battlefield is bigger than 3D Mario, how so?

360 had 4 Battlefield games selling a total of 12.15m with an install base of 78.4m which means roughly 15% of 360 owners own a Battlefield game and the average game sold about 4m.

PS3 had 3 Battlefield games which sold a total of 10.66m with an install base of 79.1m which means roughly 13% of PS3 owners own a Battlefield game and the average game sold about 3.5m.

Wii had 2 3D Mario games which sold a total of 17.95m with an install base of 100m which means roughly 18% of Wii owners own a 3D Mario game and the average game sold about 9m.

PS3+360 had sold just under 23m copies of Battlefield games on a combined install base of just under 160m so about 15% of PS360 of owners have a Battlefield game.

I'm pretty sure we judge strength by last title and not series total. Last I checked BF3 sold like 15mil whereas SMG 2 did 7mil. BF3 is still more mainstream than 3D mario.

Really? That seems like a very short sighted way of looking at things. To me consistancy shows a series strength more than one huge hit. To be fair though Battlefield has shown consistant growth with each title.

But Battlefield 3 did more like 13.5m, not counting PC since our discussion is about consoles.

Wanna make a fun little bet? I think 3D World will sell more than Battlefield 4 on PS4 and One combined, u up for it

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Mario 3D World will do well. EAD Tokyo hasn't released a bad game yet and if it takes a large step beyond Mario 3D Land, that's a pretty darn good game.

One thing that might slow its sales is NSMBU + Luigi U possible getting bundles in the West ... people getting a new system might opt to buy something else or wait for Mario Kart as they already have 4-player Mario platforming action bundled with the console.

Soundwave said:
Mario 3D World will do well. EAD Tokyo hasn't released a bad game yet and if it takes a large step beyond Mario 3D Land, that's a pretty darn good game.

One thing that might slow its sales is NSMBU + Luigi U possible getting bundles in the West ... people getting a new system might opt to buy something else or wait for Mario Kart as they already have 4-player Mario platforming action bundled with the console.

I agree, the NSMBU+Luigi U is a great bundle but im worried it will hurt 3D World sales. Maybe during the holidays they could have deals like, buy NSMBU bundle and get 3D World 1/2 off

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

America are always loyal to Nintendo home consoles. Even GC wasn't a disaster in the States. That said, Wii U is still selling well below par so I'll wait.

zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes there may very well be some overlap in fans of both series but to act like games in different genres on different platforms, aimed at differemt demographics will hurt each others sales is ridiculous. That may be true if one of the games is a traditionally low selling or unproven new franchise but 3D Mario doesnt fit into either of those categories and has sold on average about 8m units per entry and I dont see that changing because of games like Battlefield

You are right about the game having an average of 8mil consistenly but I'm pretty the WII U's philosophy is closer to gamecube than wii and plus it is doing worse than gamecube on the same time frame. It's easy to expect it to sell lower than 7mil. Hell it might not even hit 6mil.

3D World definitely has more mainstream appeal than Sunshine but regardless of how 3D World sells do u believe Iit will be a direct result of games like Battlefield?

You are right that it won't be a direct result of selling poorly because of games like battlefield however it still has some effect but what I would be more worried is how strong the 3D mario brand is. 

Well thats what ur original post implied, u said 3D World will face alot of trouble going against multiplat games.

Also in ur original post u said Battlefield is bigger than 3D Mario, how so?

360 had 4 Battlefield games selling a total of 12.15m with an install base of 78.4m which means roughly 15% of 360 owners own a Battlefield game and the average game sold about 4m.

PS3 had 3 Battlefield games which sold a total of 10.66m with an install base of 79.1m which means roughly 13% of PS3 owners own a Battlefield game and the average game sold about 3.5m.

Wii had 2 3D Mario games which sold a total of 17.95m with an install base of 100m which means roughly 18% of Wii owners own a 3D Mario game and the average game sold about 9m.

PS3+360 had sold just under 23m copies of Battlefield games on a combined install base of just under 160m so about 15% of PS360 of owners have a Battlefield game.

I'm pretty sure we judge strength by last title and not series total. Last I checked BF3 sold like 15mil whereas SMG 2 did 7mil. BF3 is still more mainstream than 3D mario.

Really? That seems like a very short sighted way of looking at things. To me consistancy shows a series strength more than one huge hit. To be fair though Battlefield has shown consistant growth with each title.

But Battlefield 3 did more like 13.5m, not counting PC since our discussion is about consoles.

Wanna make a fun little bet? I think 3D World will sell more than Battlefield 4 on PS4 and One combined, u up for it

What's at stake ?

Edit: How about this, both titles will have 3 months of sales starting from nov 15 for battlefield 4 and nov 22 for super mario 3D world. That is basically 12 weeks. Both of these titles will have there sales stop being counted at dec 7 and dec 14 respectively. GOT IT, Oh an the loser has to do a 1 week ban.

Around the Network

@fatslob To let you know, you're gonna lose....

hmm, but hollup-wait, X1 and PS4 sales combine?! uh.....nvm

I'm sorry but American gamers have shifted from platformers to FPS games, instead of kids wanting Mario they want their GTA, so I wouldn't put my money on Wii u dominating in America if I where you...

apparently a buy 2 get 1 free sale next week at Target. Might help things out. I plan to take advantage of it, for sure.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

zorg1000 said:

What's at stake ?

Edit: How about this, both titles will have 3 months of sales starting from nov 15 for battlefield 4 and nov 22 for super mario 3D world. That is basically 12 weeks. Both of these titles will have there sales stop being counted at dec 7 and dec 14 respectively. GOT IT, Oh an the loser has to do a 1 week ban.

First 3 months sales I think  BF4 for PS4+One combined will win, those games are front loaded while Mario has long legs. Ill accept if the bet is Mario beating both versions seperately.

zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:

What's at stake ?

First 3 months sales I think  BF4 for PS4+One combined will win, those games are front loaded while Mario has long legs. Ill accept if the bet is Mario beating both versions seperately.

Hmm it doesn't sound like you have much faith in super mario 3D beating BF4 and Xone together.