By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japan saved the 3DS, and United States will save the Wii U

zorg1000 said:
fatslob-:O said:
zorg1000 said:

Because ur bet is about first 3 months

What's soo different this time about mario ? Nintendo doesn't use a blue ocean strategy anymore so if anything these franchises have lost their monstrous legs.

Looking at the Galaxy games on Wii, they only sold about 40-50% of lifetime sales in the first 10 weeks while Battlefield 3 for  PS360 was more like 65-70% in first 10 weeks.

And ur statement is absolutely false, Mario titles sell throughout a consoles life. World on SNES, Mario 64 on N64 and Sunshine on GC all had legs.

correct, but i think 3d world will outsell those regardless of time frame.

p.s.: cuting the tree.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:

Because ur bet is about first 3 months

What's soo different this time about mario ? Nintendo doesn't use a blue ocean strategy anymore so if anything these franchises have lost their monstrous legs.

Looking at the Galaxy games on Wii, they only sold about 40-50% of lifetime sales in the first 10 weeks while Battlefield 3 for  PS360 was more like 65-70% in first 10 weeks.

And ur statement is absolutely false, Mario titles sell throughout a consoles life. World on SNES, Mario 64 on N64 and Sunshine on GC all had legs.

correct, but i think 3d world will outsell those regardless of time frame.

p.s.: cuting the tree.

We'll see about that. ;)

zorg1000 said:

40-50% to 65-70% seems close enough so why not.

Alright fine, lets change to fiscal year so bet ends on Mar 31, 2014 and going based off of Vgchatz numbers

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:

40-50% to 65-70% seems close enough so why not.

Alright fine, lets change to fiscal year so bet ends on Mar 31, 2014 and going based off of Vgchatz numbers

Alright now go call a mod to to oversee this bet.

Lyrikalstylez said:
I'm sorry but American gamers have shifted from platformers to FPS games, instead of kids wanting Mario they want their GTA, so I wouldn't put my money on Wii u dominating in America if I where you...

GTA isnt an FPS

Around the Network

I do believe that Nintendo really NEEDS better marketing and advertisement in the U.S and Europe.

It´s not that the WiiU isn´t an interesting, desirable product. With this semester game lineup and the price cut, the WiiU seems promising, but...
... many people are still not aware of its existence, and many still think that it´s just another Wii model or acessory.

It also does seems that Nintendo is having problems with the distribution. I dont live in the U.S., I live in Brazil and we never had problems to find Wii games on launch. But with the WiiU it´s a different story. I still couldn´t find a copy of W101, Disney Planes or Disney Infinity in any shop here. I found Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell in very few retailers, and all of them had very, very low number of copies (one of them recieved exactely 3 copies of each, only, sold them in less than 1 hour).

Yakuzaice said:
Joelcool7 said:

BlackFriday - 1+ million units (Basic Model)

Boxing Day- 1+ million units (Basic Model)

Zelda Bundle 1+ million units

ZombiU Bundle 250k

NintendoLand Bundle 500k

Prediction total sold this holiday in North American domestic market - 3.750,000-5,750,000

You might want to check out sales in the US for weeks starting the 25th or 26th of December.  Because the Wii U selling over a million on boxing day is pure fantasy.  That would be more than all consoles and handhelds combined did for the full week that included boxing day in 2010 and 2011.  It just isn't a major shopping day in the United States, at least when compared to Black Friday.

Pikmin was number 2 in its fifth week because that was its first week in the US, not because it lasted five weeks in the top three.  In fact that was the first and only time it appeared in the top 3.  Plus VGC overtracked it by a pretty significant margin.

The basic models that were recalled probably account for a couple hundred thousand at most.  I don't know why you think it was all part of a plan to unleash millions of them at prices that aren't financially viable.

15 million by the end of the fiscal year just isn't going to happen.  It was one thing earlier this year when people thought Wii U sales might start ramping up over the course of the summer and fall, but now we have the reality of the Wii U selling 20-30k a week after it got Pikmin, Rayman, W101, etc.  This is also a pretty small thing compared to everything else, but 250k for the Zombiu bundle when it hasn't even sold that much between bundles and standalone copies in NA is kind of silly.

I was most definitely being optimistic!

Yes I doubt Nintendo recalled the Basic models intending to sell them at a 100$ less than they intended. Fact is the Basic models simply were not selling and Nintendo was facing a choice. Nintendo recalled the units from several retailers who simply were not seeing any sales and didn't care to have them on shelves anymore. However the units are already built the financial loss has already been taken. So Nintendo could repackage them and sell them for 200$ heck they could sell them for 100$ it is better then those units being thrown in a giant landfill ala Atari.

At this point Nintendo will want to move those units, which are likely around a million or more. Why do I give such a large figure, Nintendo continued to manufacture them up until shortly before discontinuing. Nintendo must have a large stock pile sitting in their warehouses given even during the highest selling point of WiiU the Basic model was still on store shelves.

Boxing Day week is going to pick up this year as American retailers are expected to push much harder. Here in Canada our retailers are also planning on pushing Black Friday week. It is not illogical to think if Nintendo priced Basic bundles at 200$ with a game that they could shift a million on each week. Given historic console sales of around 900,000+ if Nintendo was to put their basic models on a fire sale they should be able to not only liquidate their stock but push their Deluxe models as well.

As for the doomsday situation WiiU is currently in. It is most definitely true that the WiiU is not selling well at all but it has a lot going for it if Nintendo plays its cards right. First Nintendo's marketing has sucked it has beyond sucked it has been terrible. If Nintendo does actually market the WiiU they have the games to push it to the public. 

In my estimates I put a low of 8 million units and a high of 15. I said 15 was necessary to save the console, in other words yes I am running with the same doomsday scenerio everyone else is. Failure to reach 15 million units by the end of the financial year will result in a greater loss in third party support. Sony expects to sell 5 million PS4's and if Nintendo cannot make a solid lead on the console by the next fiscal year I simply can't see them surviving.

But again Nintendo has a lot of big games coming, it will be interesting to see how the release of Zelda and the 50$ price cut effect sales this coming week. If sales don't rise dramatically I am going to be even more concerned. But Nintendo could turn this around if they put in the effort!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

I was most definitely being optimistic!

Yes I doubt Nintendo recalled the Basic models intending to sell them at a 100$ less than they intended. Fact is the Basic models simply were not selling and Nintendo was facing a choice. Nintendo recalled the units from several retailers who simply were not seeing any sales and didn't care to have them on shelves anymore. However the units are already built the financial loss has already been taken. So Nintendo could repackage them and sell them for 200$ heck they could sell them for 100$ it is better then those units being thrown in a giant landfill ala Atari.

At this point Nintendo will want to move those units, which are likely around a million or more. Why do I give such a large figure, Nintendo continued to manufacture them up until shortly before discontinuing. Nintendo must have a large stock pile sitting in their warehouses given even during the highest selling point of WiiU the Basic model was still on store shelves.

Boxing Day week is going to pick up this year as American retailers are expected to push much harder. Here in Canada our retailers are also planning on pushing Black Friday week. It is not illogical to think if Nintendo priced Basic bundles at 200$ with a game that they could shift a million on each week. Given historic console sales of around 900,000+ if Nintendo was to put their basic models on a fire sale they should be able to not only liquidate their stock but push their Deluxe models as well.

As for the doomsday situation WiiU is currently in. It is most definitely true that the WiiU is not selling well at all but it has a lot going for it if Nintendo plays its cards right. First Nintendo's marketing has sucked it has beyond sucked it has been terrible. If Nintendo does actually market the WiiU they have the games to push it to the public. 

In my estimates I put a low of 8 million units and a high of 15. I said 15 was necessary to save the console, in other words yes I am running with the same doomsday scenerio everyone else is. Failure to reach 15 million units by the end of the financial year will result in a greater loss in third party support. Sony expects to sell 5 million PS4's and if Nintendo cannot make a solid lead on the console by the next fiscal year I simply can't see them surviving.

But again Nintendo has a lot of big games coming, it will be interesting to see how the release of Zelda and the 50$ price cut effect sales this coming week. If sales don't rise dramatically I am going to be even more concerned. But Nintendo could turn this around if they put in the effort!

Your first two paragraphs seem to be at odds with one another.  Why would Nintendo continue manufacturing Basics for ~6 months when it was obvious since launch there wasn't much demand for it.  What exactly was the endgame there?  It just seems like a scenario you made up to justify Nintendo selling a large number of systems at rock bottom prices.

I'm not really sure why you expect Boxing Day to suddenly become huge in the US.  Even if retailers push it hard, it won't go from unknown to Black Friday in a year.  Also, there is only so much money to go around.  We've seen that December sales have been somewhat weaker since Black Friday got so huge.  Also, where are you getting historical console sales of 900k+?  Even combined, the consoles don't do 900k+ in the US in the week after Christmas.  Why do you expect the Wii U to manage over a million in basically a day?  Even on Black Friday week only the 360 has managed that, and it has only happened once (even then just barely).