By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japan saved the 3DS, and United States will save the Wii U

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
Nintendo has a set line up already, all they need to do is keep momentum up and consistent so its not selling Gamecube levels :/

We dont know what they got going on in 2014 though ,

Nintendo has a crap ton, we already know that they have Project X, Bayonetta 2, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart for 2014. But keep in mind they delayed their Q1-Q2 games till Q3-Q4, this was intentional so that they could move their Q3-Q4 games into 2014. Expect 1-2 first party releases every month from Q2-Q4 2014. Nintendo expects to build some sales momentum this holiday and they intend to maintain that for the entire year of 2014. Not to mention if Nintendo can push 15 million units by the end of their fiscal year, 3rd party support will trickle back in! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

By the way, Nintendo wants people buying the Deluxe Set, they bleed more money with the Basic.

Nintendo has a set line up already, all they need to do is keep momentum up and consistent so its not selling Gamecube levels :/

It's selling a good deal worse than the GameCube actually in America.

It's not like the GCN wasn't ramping up with a strong lineup at this point either, I remember a lot of "wait for Mario Sunshine and Zelda and Metroid Prime! That will send GameCube sales sky high for sure!" talk ten years ago.

Right now they will need to work hard just to get up to GameCube levels for the fall, Mario 3D World and DKC really have to move a lot systems for it to match up to what the GameCube was selling at the equivalent point.

Joelcool7 said:

I like the way your thinking Nintendo WiiU could still recover I don't believe it is a lost cause until next spring. If the WiiU doesn't push 15 million units by the end of the 2013 fiscal year. I am confident Nintendo can make a recovery with WiiU, 8 million units sold is likely the worst case scenerio by the end of the financial year. Why am I so confident Nintendo will recover the WiiU? America!

You point to Pikmin3, Pikmin3 was number 2 on the global charts five weeks after its release. Thats right a WiiU game lasted five weeks within the top 3 which shows the power that Nintendo titles still have. As for Rayman Legends that is a bad example 27K is a terrible and if the game had been an exclusive it could have seen 100k+. Nintendo failed at E3 to show any true super powers for the western market but they did have a few decent releases. You can expect the Zelda bundle to do a million or so units over the holiday season. Nintendo Canada at E3 said that the ZombiU bundle regularily sells out you can expect Nintendo to have a good number of those units on sale during the holiday season as well.

So what do I think is going to save WiiU in North America?

BlackFriday - 1+ million units (Basic Model)

Boxing Day- 1+ million units (Basic Model)

Zelda Bundle 1+ million units

ZombiU Bundle 250k

NintendoLand Bundle 500k

Prediction total sold this holiday in North American domestic market - 3.750,000-5,750,000

Now let me break down why I feel Black Friday and Boxing Day are going to be so massive for Nintendo. One word "Basic" model, Nintendo recalled a lot of their Basic models from major retailers. The Basic models are sitting in Nintendo warehouses and Nintendo isn't just going to dump them in New Mexico. Nintendo is probably going to repackage the Basic consoles or simply send them back to retailers as Door Crashers at a price of say 199.99$ with a game like Lego bundled with it. A 199$ Basic bundle with Lego would fly off of shelves faster than stores could pull them from the back of the store.

You might want to check out sales in the US for weeks starting the 25th or 26th of December.  Because the Wii U selling over a million on boxing day is pure fantasy.  That would be more than all consoles and handhelds combined did for the full week that included boxing day in 2010 and 2011.  It just isn't a major shopping day in the United States, at least when compared to Black Friday.

Pikmin was number 2 in its fifth week because that was its first week in the US, not because it lasted five weeks in the top three.  In fact that was the first and only time it appeared in the top 3.  Plus VGC overtracked it by a pretty significant margin.

The basic models that were recalled probably account for a couple hundred thousand at most.  I don't know why you think it was all part of a plan to unleash millions of them at prices that aren't financially viable.

15 million by the end of the fiscal year just isn't going to happen.  It was one thing earlier this year when people thought Wii U sales might start ramping up over the course of the summer and fall, but now we have the reality of the Wii U selling 20-30k a week after it got Pikmin, Rayman, W101, etc.  This is also a pretty small thing compared to everything else, but 250k for the Zombiu bundle when it hasn't even sold that much between bundles and standalone copies in NA is kind of silly.

iamdeath said:
1 game means nothing....wii-u has no prayer against PS4 and x1 in the US., Small sample sixes used in arguments = LULZ.

No prayer? Excuse me, sir, but your fanboy is showing.

Wind Waker bundle + price drop coming in just a few days. That alone is going to spike sales for Wii U big time. Mario, DK, Sonic and Wii Fit will help carry it through the holidays. Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and Zelda coming next year, along with with Yoshi, Bayonetta, X, and who knows what else. I'm pretty sure Wii U will hold it's own. People have been waiting for reasons to get the system. Now they're going to have them. End of story.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

It's selling a good deal worse than the GameCube actually in America.

It's not like the GCN wasn't ramping up with a strong lineup at this point either, I remember a lot of "wait for Mario Sunshine and Zelda and Metroid Prime! That will send GameCube sales sky high for sure!" talk ten years ago.

Right now they will need to work hard just to get up to GameCube levels for the fall, Mario 3D World and DKC really have to move a lot systems for it to match up to what the GameCube was selling at the equivalent point.

I know how its selling, but they cant level out at Gamecube levels. They need to be above that

No, just no. If anything super mario 3D world will have alot of trouble facing up against next gen versions of multiplatform title such as battlefield 4 and that game is bigger than 3D mario and thats based on the fact that the last console title sold 7mil on a user base of 65 to 75mil.

fatslob-:O said:

No, just no. If anything super mario 3D world will have alot of trouble facing up against next gen versions of multiplatform title such as battlefield 4 and that game is bigger than 3D mario and thats based on the fact that the last console title sold 7mil on a user base of 65 to 75mil.

Yea.....pretty sure to two games have completely different fanbases so not sure why ur comparing them

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Yea.....pretty sure to two games have completely different fanbases so not sure why ur comparing them

You realize this is a 3D mario title and last time I checked it's weaker than 2D mario.

zorg1000 said:

You realize this is a 3D mario title and last time I checked it's weaker than 2D mario.

WTF does that have to do with Battlefield?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.