By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Number of mature video games down 50% from 2005

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=160468

Number of mature video games down 50% from 2005

According to the Entertainment Software Ratings Board, the M (Mature 17+) ratings category represented only 6% of assigned ratings in 2007, down from 8% in 2006 and 12% in 2005.

The largest category last year belonged to E (Everyone 6+), which represented nearly 60% of all assigned ratings, up significantly from 2006. The E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) and T (Teen 13+) categories accounted for 15% and 20% respectively.

"While a handful of M-rated titles tend to garner a majority of media attention, the E rating category continues to dominate," said Patricia Vance, president of the ESRB.

Though no specific reasoning was given for the drop in mature rated video games, the growing market for family-friendly titles likely contributed.

-----------------------------------------

My comments.  While I used Gamepro heading, it is not true.  Ratings of M video games are down 50%, from 12% to 6%, but there are more games and ESRB says themselves that they are rating more games.

From the ESRB site:

"This past holiday season was the biggest ever for video games, contributing to record-breaking sales in 2007 of nearly $19 billion in the U.S. alone

The ESRB also had the biggest year ever in 2007, having assigned 1,563 ratings, a 22% increase over the prior year."

Also, the time period covers over a console generation shift.  Since mature games, on the average, would take longer to develope than 'E' games, the majority I would think would show up later in the console's life, not in its first years.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

Title is a bit misleading. The percentage could likely be due to an increase in E and T games, and not exactly a decrease in mature. Edit: well I noticed you already touched on that, o'well.

how about listing how many games are M rated?

Games like Chicken Shoot and Ninjabread man are clogging the other percentile. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Well the Wii and DS saw tons of games , and most are rated E ... so no surprise here .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Thats odd cause that 6% of mature games is the majority of the games people are looking forward to!

- GTA4 = M
- Killzone 2 = M
- MGS4 = M
- God of War 3 = M
- Halo 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 = M
- Gears of War 2 = M
- Mass Effect 2 = M

Around the Network

I blame WiiF... Oh nevermind

kingofwale said:
how about listing how many games are M rated?

Games like Chicken Shoot and Ninjabread man are clogging the other percentile. ;)

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp   and search for mature and select the console you want.

For example, they have rated 17 games as Mature for the Wi, out of a total of 463 games that they have rated for the Wii.  A percentage of 3.7%.

Out of a total of 213 rated games for PS3, 42 are rated Mature, a percent of 19.7%. 

Out of a total of 437 rated games for X360, 76 are rated Mature, a percent of 17.4%.

Lastly, out of a total of 1737 rated games for PS2, 253 are rated Mature, a percent of 14.6%. 

It doesn't do a breakdown by year, so I can't tell if PS2 games are getting more or less Mature rankings.

For the handhelds:

Out of a total of 436 rated games for PSP, 37 are rated Mature, a percent of 8.5%, much lower than PS3 or X360.  

For DS, out of 614, 4, yes only 4 are rated Mature.  <1%. 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

>For DS, out of 614, 4, yes only 4 are rated Mature.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

That includes all the VC titles.

coolestguyever said:
Thats odd cause that 6% of mature games is the majority of the games people are looking forward to!

- GTA4 = M
- Killzone 2 = M
- MGS4 = M
- God of War 3 = M
- Halo 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 = M
- Gears of War 2 = M
- Mass Effect 2 = M

The majority of games that gamers who scour videogame websites look forward to? perhaps.

The majority games that the rest of people in the world are looking forward to? Probably not.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342