By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft respond to the EDGE article

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dark_Feanor said:
richardhutnik said:
CGI-Quality said:

Good question. Wasn't the PS2 more expensive than the GameCube? 

Someone has to look into this.  It is tricky.  I would also have to speak about the context of at launch.  What you see is people say "the most powerful system never wins" without the context of price of system also mentioned.  I have to wonder if there is a case of the most expensive system ever selling the most.

The PS3 was more expensive than the 360, it only took Sony 7 years... so it´s not far fechted the possibility that the Xbox One could out sell the PS4.

The adds barely haven´t started yet.

Sony outsold Microsoft almost every year (when you coun't year upon year sales from launches equally). Technically Sony is about eight million ahead in overall sales, they are just a year behind. If Sony had launched with Microsoft (hypothetically based on the stats)they would've been ahead by like what...nearly ten mil? LOL....Imagine this gen when they start off correctly and don't piss off consumers. :)

microsoft doubled their original xbox sales, while the ps3 didn't match ps2

yes, the ps3 sells a bit more when comparing with the xbox360 but the trend is better for microsoft

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Sony outsold Microsoft almost every year (when you coun't year upon year sales from launches equally). Technically Sony is about eight million ahead in overall sales, they are just a year behind. If Sony had launched with Microsoft (hypothetically based on the stats)they would've been ahead by like what...nearly ten mil? LOL....Imagine this gen when they start off correctly and don't piss off consumers. :)

microsoft doubled their original xbox sales, while the ps3 didn't match ps2

yes, the ps3 sells a bit more when comparing with the xbox360 but the trend is better for microsoft

Well of course, most of their marketing occured in America where people will generally pick the cheaper of a similar yet well marketed product. Microsoft got the third parties to be side with them equally to Sony so jumping ship wasn't really that hard. Question? How do you achieve 150 million in sales when another company is shaving gamers off of your marketshare? Together they both have 170 gamers between them. Put those together and you have the PS2 numbers and nearly the Xbox sales. By the end of this generation the numbers between the two brands will have gone over last gens total combined between the two.

Not sure why are some people worked up about all this...of course MS will say they have miracle engineers who will make their hardware fly after that EDGE article.

What exactly is their PR expected to say after such lines as:

- difference in performance between the consoles (described) as “significant” and “obvious.”

- without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One. “Xbox One is weaker and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM"

- Xbox One is lagging behind in this regard (drivers) – Microsoft “has been late on their drivers and that has been hurting them,” said one source. Another described Xbox One’s graphics drivers less charitably as “horrible”

Still, what's most interesting from the article is actually this:

One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.

This claim was later countered by a contact at a different studio. “It would be totally fine for us to make one version prettier without any political difficulties but it usually doesn’t make financial sense,” they said, “unless it’s a very simple tweak.”

Stinky said:
riecsou said:
One thing for sure MS tried to get Sony out of the gaming war with the Xbox 360 and their money. Buying exclusives, releasing the Xbox 360 while Sony was still not ready for the next gen. Selling the 360 cheaper each time Sony would do a price cut (until the Slim came out). If not for the slim (specially for the PS3 Slim) and for system sellers such as (God of war, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, The last of US) , MS would have crush Sony.
That is why this coming GEN Sony didn't leave much to chance and Microsoft got comfortable because currently they own US big time.
And this is just my opinion, I believe that Sony was planning on doing the DRM thing and online stuff too cause there is no way Microsoft was crazy enough to be the only one to do that. And when Sony saw the reaction of the gamers, they made themselves look like the savior of gaming...

It's clear that Sony were in a bad position with the PS3 and are in a sorry financial state launching the PS4, due to the competition of MS and Nintendo. Blaming that fully on MS is ignoring the obvious bad business decisions made by Sony and if anything, MS showed them mercy when they could have easily continued cutting the price of the 360 and buying up games which Sony would never have been able to match. In hindsight MS spent just enough for the 360 to gain critical mass and become profitable where Sony continues to throw money at big production exclusives, money they don't have.

Let us consider that outside of fan flamewars, MS and Sony are partners with Sony's Vaio products being amongst the most prestigious Windows competitors agains Apple, and that even the Xbox sells Sony music and movie content as well as Sony's Crackle product. Let us also consider that MS has been convicted of monopoly more than once and it would not look good for them to be dumping product and sending a competitor out of the market.

Lol, you got me wrong. I am not blaming MS for the bad business decisions made by Sony, on the contrary MS made a lot of very good decision with the Xbox 360 while Sony was getting arrogant thinking that most PS2 players will buy the PS3 and new players will buy the PS3. That is the advantage of coming from behing. Microsfot learned from the Xbox to launch the Xbox 360. Now Sony learned from their past mistake for the PS3 and are now launching a $400 PS4 vs a $ 600 PS3. I am eager to see how this war will turn out. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
richardhutnik said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

...or Sony didn't change a thing about their model outside of PSN+ and the developer friendliness and watched Microsoft go down in flames in May.

I would say stuff along the lines of not revealing and waiting to see what Microsoft does, and response, allowed things to adjust accordingly.  Case of proper timing and not revealing.  They had decided they didn't need to change anything (even if they could) and then be able to slip in PS+ as akin to Gold.  I had a feeling PS+ was going to be like Gold for XBOX Live after seeing what they were going to do with it.  Individuals on here argued that free online play was THAT critical of a feature.  Well, the option left for Playstation guys is to stick with the PS3 or go to the Wii U.  That isn't viable.  So Sony goes what they did.

Microsoft brought social profiteering to gaming, even Xbox gamers who applauded Microsofts oh-so capitalist enterprises said Sony would eventually follow suit seeing the profit that Xbox Live gets. When you're losing as much money as Sony was because of all the hardware they packed into the PS3 in the end its understandable. I have to applaud them for leaving the rest of Playstation Network free while proving what a value PSN+ was. I was pissed in the beginning, but then I said, "oh yeah....I bought PSN+ even without the multiplayer", then I kind of shut up and kept gaming.

Sony still can argue more bang for the buck with what it is.  PS+ is less expensive than Gold.  I saw them doing this actually, because they argue they are cheaper.  And they definitely did see what they were leaving on the table moneywise.   Next up is going to be the Gakkai streaming, which should prove to be interesting.  Will see how it goes.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
richardhutnik said:

More expensive AND less powerful, the way the ONE is. That is the question.  And it would also have to fit into the life of the console, start from day one.  Companies don't slash prices of their systems if they are outselling their competitors.  So the case is to find an example of some console that was less powerful and more expensive, winning the sales war at the higher price point.

Again: What powerfull means? 

I won´t bring the smartphone analogy again. 

The PS3 had for years shitty multplat games. And even the first batche of exclusive games were lackluster. Well, Uncharted 1 was buggy as hell and serius frame, pop-up performance issues.

This is the power people SEE not power people BELIVE.

One the otehr hand the PS3 has more expensive but had a hard drive and a BluRay driver. That was a huge sell point for a lot of people. This is the value that people can SEE not BELIVE.

Nothing is decided, everething is possible.

The ONE and the PS4 are both based on X86 and similar.  The PS4 has faster memory in it, and also is able to render faster.  They are saying like 50% faster than the ONE.  These are raw numbers, and similar difficulty to code, if not the PS4 being easier, due to Microsoft including the extra RAM inside to offset the slower DDR3.  They may be in the same class, but the PS4 can at least keep up with the ONE, if not surpass it AND is is le4ss expensive.  I would seriously suggest you NOT compare the PS4 to the PS3 here, because the PS4 is easier to code for, much easier.

I think it's more relevant to consider whether the PS4 is easier to code for than XboxOne.

One uses DirectX - essentially it's own platform that scales to thousands of possible system configurations.

One uses a proprietary language.

In some ways it would be like comparing PC development to Linux.

Guess we'll see how it turns out. But based on over a decade of solid development support for their platform - I wouldn't be too worried about MS' position.

If I were microsoft I'd keep quiet about on the issue of performance because its just away to fuel the war on the other side of the fence.

In 5 years time alot of people on both sides are gonna look pretty stupid. The games will be visually the same. There is no advantage. The games now prove it. And they will prove it in 5 years.

Why won't MS just shut up?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---