By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GTA4 : 1st PS3 version preview ...

http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php

New Previews from PSM3 and Games Master

Posted by adamcs at 01:19. Category: Previews

PSM3 Magazine

The latest issue of UK magazine PSM3 features a massive twelve-page exclusive preview of Grand Theft Auto IV. The preview contains four new screenshots which have never been seen before, and new character illustrations of Little Jacob and Vlad. It also contains a fullsize version of this screenshot, which was only partially revealed to us last year. Thanks to Buubar (from the forums) for the info.

There is also a similar preview with similar media assets in the newest issue of Games Master. Both previews appear to be based on the same demonstration. Go to GTAForums for more information. Here is a short summary of the new info from both previews:

• The preview was based on the PlayStation 3 version of the game. This is the first time (as far as we are aware) that the PS3 version has been previewed by the gaming press.
  • The faster you tap X, the faster Niko runs. He doesn't appear to get tired.
  • Major collisions on motorbikes cause the helmet to fall off. You can see it fall onto the ground.
  • Heavy fire will scar - and permanently destroy - parts of the environment.
  • They previewed a mission called "To Live and Die in Alderney," which is the second part of "Truck Hustle." The second mission is called "Jamaican Heat," and acts as a tutorial for the new cover/targeting system. The third mission is called "Jacob's Ladder," and the fourth (and final) mission is called "Harbouring a Grudge." This mission introduces an Irish character called Patrick McReary, who is related to Francis.
  • The mobile phone can be used to call the police, the paramedics, and the fire department.
  • There are 18 radio stations in GTA IV - one of which is Russian. All of these stations can be accessed via the mobile phone.
  • You can take photos with the mobile phone and upload them to the police computer.
  • Health is represented by a green semi-circle on the left side of the radar, and a right semi-circle represents armour. You can restore health by resting, by using medical kits, and by eating.
  • In taxis, you can ask the driver to change the radio station by pressing D-pad left or right.
  • The GTA 4 equivalent of the Lincoln Tunnel is known as the Booth Tunnel.

link to forum

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=311011

N4g infos :

http://www.n4g.com/News-109247.aspx

First PS3 Hands On GTA IV Preview and Screens from PSM3

The latest issue of UK magazine PSM3 features a massive twelve-page exclusive preview of Grand Theft Auto IV. The preview contains four new screenshots which have never been seen before, and new character illustrations of Little Jacob and Vlad. All the screenshots in the scans are from the PS3 Version.

- The preview was based on the PlayStation 3 version of the game. This is the first time that the PS3 version has been seen by journalists.

- The faster you tap X, the faster Niko runs. He doesn't appear to get tired.

- Major collisions on motorbikes cause the helmet to fall off. You can see it fall onto the ground.

- Niko gets in trouble with 10 bikers in a street fight, some of them had knives, Niko runs away and a police officer sees him getting chased by the biker gang, the police officer thinks Niko is an innocent pedestrian and helps Niko out and shoots at the bikers.

Hit the jump to see the new screens and read this exciting preview!
Updates:
- The PS3's version seems to be exactly the same visually as it's 360 counterpart
- The frame rate on the ps3 version is extremely smooth
- Niko's clothes get bloodier after you take more and more damage
- You can ring 911 to get the police, ambulance or fire brigade
to create a diversion or simply steal their car and anything else you can foster up
- When you fail a mission, you receive a text message asking whether you want to replay the mission, even a 'skip trip' feature is included
- Multiplayer will be accessed from the phone
- The phone can also be used for messageing, photos, reminders and music.
- R1 will be the 'into cover' button for the ps3, many variations of getting into cover apply
- You can dangle from Helicopters, just like vans and trucks
- When your about to die it fades into black and white, just like in gears of war and uncharted.
- Ne-Yo and R Kelly were heard on the radio
- 18 radio stations available
- Niko is able to ask the cab driver to change the radio station
- Niko pays the cabbie double (which adds up to $39) to speed up
- Bums on the street ask for money, you have the ability to give them money
- Niko raises his arms when cops try to 'bust him' out of say a car, but he can move freely and can run or retaliate
==> so far, it matchs the Xbox360 version ...
it will be an VERY interesting fight between MS/Sony to get the most of this game
I m pretty sure the Xbox360 version will sell more (NA user base) but I m not sure which version will move more console : all will depends of the advertising and price drop ...
question : is the arcade/core Xbox360 able to handle the game (and download the online content ?) ?

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I see a lot of nothing...

GTAIV cancellation confirmed....

Either that or libellue wanted to make sure that he was the first to post...

LOL

no in fact I have edited and SUPPRESS the post's content lol
I have written it again ^^

Time to Work !

question : is the arcade/core Xbox360 able to handle the game (and download the online content ?) ?

No, the abscence of a harddrive would make it possible to access the downloadable content, but not to store it. So the only 360 owners that can and will enjoy the DLC are those who opted for a Premium or an Elite. It'll make a huge difference here in Norway for instance, since most 360 owners own one without a HDD because of the high prices of the Premium and Elite here. Don't know how this affects the global market, but I can definately see quite e few 360 owners feeling short-sticked for getting the "mundane" version of the game only, especially since the content appears to be free anyways with most retail versions of the game.

That may be the trigger as to which sells better. Xboxers can't deny the fact that many millions of their brethren DON'T have hard drives, and people that are choosing which version will think "Should I get the PS3 version, or should I get the 360 version? The 360 version has DLC, but I can't download because I don't have a HDD, and I ain't dropping another $100 for an HDD........and MGS4 is coming only to PS3 in a couple of months also" (had to sneak that in there)

How this turns out will be interesting, because taking a look at Burnout, it seems that PS3 software sales are no longer lagging behind 360 sales. And then the added incentives of the big PS3 guns coming out this year vs. 360 install base.....yeah, this will be interesting

Around the Network

I'm glad the 2 versions are the same.

@BMaker11

If you bought an arcade or core, you bought the cheap version. If you bought the cheap version, you are not a hardcore gamer. If you are not a hardcore gamer, you don't have a PS3. If you have a core/arcade and not a PS3, you are not wondering which version to get. You know its 360.

Fail.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

BMaker11 said:
That may be the trigger as to which sells better. Xboxers can't deny the fact that many millions of their brethren DON'T have hard drives, and people that are choosing which version will think "Should I get the PS3 version, or should I get the 360 version? The 360 version has DLC, but I can't download because I don't have a HDD, and I ain't dropping another $100 for an HDD........and MGS4 is coming only to PS3 in a couple of months also" (had to sneak that in there)

How this turns out will be interesting, because taking a look at Burnout, it seems that PS3 software sales are no longer lagging behind 360 sales. And then the added incentives of the big PS3 guns coming out this year vs. 360 install base.....yeah, this will be interesting

MGS 4 will only be just over a month away (probably)

Anyway, this game looks insane, it is by far my most anticipated game of the year (I have given up hope of FF XIII coming in 2008)

I should really go and buy this magazine

Looks like some cool stuff. To be honest, unless the PS3 version is better...like noticably better, I'll end up getting the 360 version. Getting achievements and stuff makes it really fun.