By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Forza dev: You can't talk power unless you're informed

Totally fair point. So that goes equally for MS guys who have no clue about what's under PS4's hood other than what the rest of us know ( I haven't seen any Sony people trying to comment extensively on PS4 vs Xb one power, but same would apply to them). 3rd party devs who are developing for both platforms are the only equally informed source of commentary on power. But they may not be "super" informed either, not to the extent of 1st party devs.

So in essence no one is qualified to talk about power in a comparitive sense.

However people who know stuff about how computer hardware works are qualified to talk about whether 68Gb/s on 8GB + 214Gb/s on 32MB > 176Gb/s on 8GB, or whether 12CUwith a 6% imprtovement = a 72% improvement over all or, as maths and logic tell you, merely a 6% improvement over all.

So people can talk about misrepresentation of specs to talk up a system even if the raw power specs aren't known. And according to some people what some people at MS have been doing is misrepresenting the meaning or interpretation of certain specs or combinations of specs. and in at least one case completely lying (whether deliberate or from having old information they don;t know is out dated) about a spec of the opposing platform. That sort of shenanigans can be rightly criticised on the internets even by people who don;t know all the fine details of console specs.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Grandia said:

I am sure that the conditions are not that different this generation than they was last generation, the multiplatform games will probably look equal on xbox one and playstation 4 just like it was last generation and both will get gorgeous exclusive games. Xbox one and Ps4 are on par way to less difference that there ever could be a game which would not be possible in an equal quality on the other system.

They aren't equal, but yes the multiplats will be similar. The exclusives will tell the story though. The difference is going to be bigger than the PS3 and 360 for sure.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Grandia said:

I am sure that the conditions are not that different this generation than they was last generation, the multiplatform games will probably look equal on xbox one and playstation 4 just like it was last generation and both will get gorgeous exclusive games. Xbox one and Ps4 are on par way to less difference that there ever could be a game which would not be possible in an equal quality on the other system.

They aren't equal, but yes the multiplats will be similar. The exclusives will tell the story though. The difference is going to be bigger than the PS3 and 360 for sure.

Multiplats as well.

I agree with you on the fact that games will be more revealing than announced specs, but how you imagine the difference will be bigger this gen is beyond me.

fighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Multiplats as well.

I agree with you on the fact that games will be more revealing than announced specs, but how you imagine the difference will be bigger this gen is beyond me.

Well this begs the question, yhy do you think MS has been scrambling to fix the clock speed of the Xbone? Sony had them on both raw power and speed. Their shaders are also better. The leap might not be that great from current gen to next gen in graphics, but the difference between the PS4 and Xbone are bigger than the current gen. Sony has given nothing to MS. Their only major asset is the cloud over Sony, which hopefully proves itself in the coming gen. Nothings really going to stop gamers from going online though on either console.

TimCliveroller said:

E3 2005 - 2006

E3 2009 - 2010

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Multiplats as well.

Well this begs the question, yhy do you think MS has been scrambling to fix the clock speed of the Xbone? Sony had them on both raw power and speed. Their shaders are also better. The leap might not be that great from current gen to next gen in graphics, but the difference between the PS4 and Xbone are bigger than the current gen. Sony has given nothing to MS. Their only major asset is the cloud over Sony, which hopefully proves itself in the coming gen. Nothings really going to stop gamers from going online though on either console.

If I answer your question it can only be answering a conjecture with another one. And in no way does it relate to differences across generations.

So again, how do you figure the difference will be bigger this gen ?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Grandia said:
Its amazing you can give Sonyfanboys legit arguments and they just continue to defend Sony without even trying to consider if the arguments could be legit.

But this is nothing new, it was the same last generation so it is no surprise that the same narrow-minded people who praised back then the pseudo power of the ps3 all the time, will praise this generation the pseudo power of the ps4.

And legit arguments will not do anything to them, you can show them the games which look exactly the same on both systems, even if they look most of the time better on xbox they still will argue that the ps 3 or ps4 is more powerful.

So it is just a waste of time, never argue with a Sonyfanboy it is like to argue with a mentally disabled person or like to argue with a child they obviously have not the mental capacities to comprehend legit arguments or for a real discussion.

The PS3 technically was more powerful than the 360 but created a developer bottleneck for multiplats. This time it will be both exclusives and multiplats looking good. I don't see what the problem is here.

You just agreed with Penello there.

fighter said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The PS3 technically was more powerful than the 360 but created a developer bottleneck for multiplats. This time it will be both exclusives and multiplats looking good. I don't see what the problem is here.

You just agreed with Penello there.

Penello didn't say both exclusives and multiplats will look better on PS4...

Vetteman94 said:
The only thing I got from this article is that people should leave the speculating about hardware and their difference to people who actually know what they are talking about. He never claims that he knows what those differences are if there is any. So everyone attacking him talking about 3rd party developers would know more, while correct, isnt the point of the article. He isnt comparing the PS4 to the Xbox One, he is just saying STFU unless you know what you are talking about and have knowledge on the situation.

Which lets face it, the vast majority of forum posters don't know a damn thing about it.

If he is indeed saying that then I really have a problem with that more than him trying to rhetorically trying to close the performance gap between the two systems. If he chooses to 'attack' forum dewellers, armchair engineers etc. who are discussing this very subject he is actually hurting the very console he is trying to defend. Those people actually CARE about the consoles enough to talk about that stuff and he risks alienating potential customers. Not to mention who the hell is he to tell people to STFU? If people want to engage in meaningless debate he certainly does not need to intervene.

Also for all the talk, he doesn't have inside information on the PS4s final specs so his comparing the two is as misinformed as all those know nothings.

-CraZed- said:
Vetteman94 said:
The only thing I got from this article is that people should leave the speculating about hardware and their difference to people who actually know what they are talking about. He never claims that he knows what those differences are if there is any. So everyone attacking him talking about 3rd party developers would know more, while correct, isnt the point of the article. He isnt comparing the PS4 to the Xbox One, he is just saying STFU unless you know what you are talking about and have knowledge on the situation.

Which lets face it, the vast majority of forum posters don't know a damn thing about it.

If he is indeed saying that then I really have a problem with that more than him trying to rhetorically trying to close the performance gap between the two systems. If he chooses to 'attack' forum dewellers, armchair engineers etc. who are discussing this very subject he is actually hurting the very console he is trying to defend. Those people actually CARE about the consoles enough to talk about that stuff and he risks alienating potential customers. Not to mention who the hell is he to tell people to STFU? If people want to engage in meaningless debate he certainly does not need to intervene.

Also for all the talk, he doesn't have inside information on the PS4s final specs so his comparing the two is as misinformed as all those know nothings.

I dont think he risks alienating any customers, he is just saying that people who are talking like they know what they are talking about are actually hurting the situation because they don't have all the information.  

And people can engage in meaningless debate all they want to, if you want to argue what console has the best games that is fine because it is subjective and perfect for meaningless debates.  But when they start arguing about technical information and specifications and start throwing around information as fact when it is far from fact they need to be put in place by people who know.  Which is what he is doing, and i applaud him for that cause people really do need to STFU about it unless they are directly working with theze systems and know their architecture and can actually formulate what differences there are if there are any worth talking about.

And he never compares the PS4 to the Xbox One, because he knows he doesnt know anything about the PS4. His anology was basically saying that the average person wouldnt be able to tell you what was faster between those 2 cars just by looking at the base value.   But the Engineers, Mechanics and builders of those vehicles would be able to tell you because they have the technical expertise to do so.  Everyone else is just barking to hear themselves and think they know what they are talking about.