By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - what will happen after release of SSBB and Mario Kart Wii

I remember hearing that Nintendo's strategy was to start out a console with hit after hit of AAA 1st party games to drive sales through the roof, then lay off a bit and let 3rd parties sell games on the popular console so they can make a profit. If Nintendo keeps releasing AAA games every quarter 3rd parties will leave the Wii, tired of being cast in shadow and tired of being compared to games with much more polish.

Do you know how hard it would be to make a game that stands out on a Nintendo machine at this point. In 2006 there was Twilight Princess, which won GOTY for the Wii. In 2007 there was hype and praise for Prime, and then SMG swept the overall GOTY category (the only other games remotely considered to be on par with SMG for GOTY were on non-Nintendo systems). And now we are in '08 with Brawl and Kart coming up in the 1st half alone. How do you compete with that? If Nintendo keeps this up top tier 3rd party game will avoid the Wii like a plague.

Imagine if you spend millions of hours of hard work and make a painting that is better than every other painting in the world... except the Mona Lisa. Would you rather put your painting right down the hall from the Mona Lisa and forever be in its shadow, or would you rather put it in some other huge museum and get the VIP treatment and praise from everyone that sees you?

Around the Network
vaio said:
Pikmin, wii sports 2

What sports would be on Wii Sports 2? They covered all the motion control games that I could think of.

Anyways people have named a few cool games like Animal Crossing and whatever else, i don't really remember. But in my opinion, the lineup won't be near what the PS3 has to offer. A lot of PS3's successful franchises are making a stunning return...in HD! Killzone, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, etc, etc.

I have a feeling Nintendo will ride the coat tails of Wii Fit until the end of the year. They will release a mass friendly game for the holidays along with maybe Fatal Frame or another one or two hardcore titles. I expect lots of announcement towards the end of the year.

coolestguyever said:
vaio said:
Pikmin, wii sports 2

What sports would be on Wii Sports 2? They covered all the motion control games that I could think of.

Anyways people have named a few cool games like Animal Crossing and whatever else, i don't really remember. But in my opinion, the lineup won't be near what the PS3 has to offer. A lot of PS3's successful franchises are making a stunning return...in HD! Killzone, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, etc, etc.

That's great and all, but we're talking about Nintendo only franchises. So why don't you tell us what awesome games Sony is actually releasing? The games you listed aren't really "Sony franchises" they just happened to be released for the most successful console the last couple of generations.  If you want to compare, then use Sony's actual franchises, as noone else mentioned any 3rd party games for the Wii.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Magnific0 said:
I thought people would just keep playing their Wiisports/Wiiplay, isn't that all they still do?

Haven't actually looked at the numbers that wii software is pushing, huh?    

Around the Network

@eab
i don't think so. If you have a good install base, there will be always some place for GOOD 3rd party titles. I think, that when Wii reaches 40mln units sold, there will be enough cake for everybody - even 3rd party developers.

furthermore....are You blaming nintendo for making games that are too good ?!...lol

(\__/)
( -'.'-)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

shams said:
Everyone should remember that Ninty now has a new strategy for software (and they recently said this themselves) - software will now NOT be announced until its almost complete.

So we won't see the surprises until they hit us - which is great IMO :)

Agree on that, not like some companies do, announce a title, don't say for which platform or let people wait for years before they'll get to see the next amount of screenshots (refering to Square Enix).

Just wait and see, is my motto, I'm pretty much sure Nintendo will have surprises for us. 

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Massive Wii Sales! And Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Wii Sports 2, Wii Fit 2, Zelda Wii, Kid Icarus, etc. The list could keep on going and going with 3rd party titles and those we don't know about.

(An 18 month recap of Wii doubt.)

"Sure, they have Wii Sports and Zelda for launch, but what's next?"

"Alright, they've got Metroid, Mario and Smash coming up, but what will they do after that?"

"So after Smash, Mario Kart and Wii Fit, what will Nintendo have left?"

"Oh, Animal Crossing is announced too? Well, after that Wii is screwed!"

And a look into the future, post e3:

"Sure Animal Crossing and {insert newly announced surefire hit} will be big, but what on earth will Nintendo do then?"

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

well after they release wiis sales will be even higher

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"