By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Slumps After Stock Excluded From Nikkei 225

famousringo said:
The silver lining here is that Nintendo is not dependant on the value of its shares for funding. I suspect it also has a limited impact on employee retention.

Curious, what does stock value have to do with employee retention?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

News surfaced just last monday of the possibility of Nintendo joining the N225 during its annual review, and shares went up ~3.9% that day but the stock was hovering well above Y11,000 (~Y11,300 but trending downward, especially since the new conference almost two weeks ago)

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-shares-rise-expectations-joining-nikkei-225/

The selling today to bring it ~4% below the average it was trading before the rumors even hit tell me there more to the selling that just investors who had a position and left it.

Very well. I took the article at face value and then some, so I concede the post.

Doom, D00m I tell you!!1

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I picked up a few shares today. I thought about going all-in, but I'm suspicious it may sink even lower over the next week or two.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I picked up a few shares today. I thought about going all-in, but I'm suspicious it may sink even lower over the next week or two.

Same gotta small position now. If ever it goes down more, Ima buy more. I'm in no rush. Longterm. My other stocks in other companies will offset whatever losing positons :P

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
morenoingrato said:
noname2200 said:
Train wreck said:

Im sure the stocks decline, against a backdrop of a ~3% rise in the overall market in Japan has a little bit more than just people going in an out of positions from an event that did not materialize.

Go on, I'm listening.

Nice try.

It's a hit and run train.

I see you are continuing the theme of going into threads and offering zero input. It seems that all the Nintendo doom threads are starting to take its toll, your condescending tone isn't even funny anymore.

I wouldn't say the tone is entirely without merit. You do seem to emphasize negative news and negative trends when it comes to Nintendo. If your tone was more evenhanded, there would be less cause for folks like Morenoingrato to snark at you. Snark begets snark, they say.

morenoingrato said:
noname2200 said:
Train wreck said:

Im sure the stocks decline, against a backdrop of a ~3% rise in the overall market in Japan has a little bit more than just people going in an out of positions from an event that did not materialize.

Go on, I'm listening.

Nice try.

It's a hit and run train.

I explained in the post above that this is not unfounded, but it is still not to be encouraged. If his posts bother you, ignore them.

Mr Khan said:
famousringo said:
The silver lining here is that Nintendo is not dependant on the value of its shares for funding. I suspect it also has a limited impact on employee retention.

Curious, what does stock value have to do with employee retention?

When you pay your staff with stock options. Especially an issue with startups, but even large tech companies often reward staff with stock. When the stock is growing, it's a great incentive for staff to stick around. Once growth stops, the tempation becomes to cash out and move on.

I suspect few people at Nintendo are rewarded with stock, and most of those would probably be Japanese executives whose personal code preludes the idea of cutting and running.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Roma said:
If I knew how to handle stock I would have bought some Nintendo stock as I see them rising a lot in the coming moths

This baffles my mind.  You think they are about to do even better even though that is when they will actually have competition?!

Captain_Tom said:
Roma said:
If I knew how to handle stock I would have bought some Nintendo stock as I see them rising a lot in the coming moths

This baffles my mind.  You think they are about to do even better even though that is when they will actually have competition?!

The 3DS is getting big games in Japan and WiiU will get some support.

Also, when stock hits record lows it can't be a big risk to buy some. It should stop falling at some point. :P