By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson on X1 Power: "I can't wait for the truth to come out."

Machiavellian said:
darkknightkryta said:

It really depends, did AMD build a stacked APU themselves?  I personally don't think they have the engineers capable of that.  But assuming they did, why hide it?  Why big up the PS4 over the Xbox One (Refering to the Huma tech debacle) if the Xbox One is as powerful as a high end video card?  Which means, MS made the changes.  If MS made the changes why not tout it like the coming of christ?  Why bother saying you've increased GPU and CPU clocks when you've never actually given any clock information?  You could easily have said "Hey this is the GPU clock, it's higher than the PS4s" vs "Hey we increased the clock from a base clock we've never announced".  Why hide a second GPU if you've developed the tech?  AMD would be under NDA not MS.  Unless they literally added the GPU last second, which ... well I wouldn't wanna be an Xbox employee come November when Xboxes start melting.

On the flip end, if MS is under NDA, I'm sure AMD would be pimping out their tech and putting it in their roadmaps, which they haven't.  For a comparison; they've mentioned they're going to be manufacturing PS4 APU's for consumers.

Which leads to the next possibility; dev kits.  It's quite possible that the devkit has a second GPU for development of assets, or debugging.  It would make those crazy mistranslated e-mails make sense.  It would also make sense that Major Nelson would be confused cause he was looking at the devkits and thinking the final build would have a second GPU.

As for the sales guy who made the mistake of talking about stuff he probably shouldn't, who knows.  It would not be the first time a sales person trying to sell their product does not know a lot about what is happening with another.  Do not forget that after Hotchips it was seen that MS does have a huma design just not the standard one that AMD has because of the SRAM, so basically the AMD guy did not know what he was talking about or he only knows that Sony chip follows their HuMA design and has no clue about how the X1 achieve the same results.

@Bolded: You do know that AMD is releasing info on their new chip on Sept 25th right.

I believe you are reaching on the dev kit part.  As for Larry, who knows what he knows but I doubt is devs kits but instead he is just repeating what Albert stated.  No one is really taking Larry that serious but Alberts statements are the one you should be listening to. We shall see if what he says can be backed up but least for release, MS should be fine.

Which chip though?  The APU that's being built around the PS4?

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Machiavellian said:
darkknightkryta said:

It really depends, did AMD build a stacked APU themselves?  I personally don't think they have the engineers capable of that.  But assuming they did, why hide it?  Why big up the PS4 over the Xbox One (Refering to the Huma tech debacle) if the Xbox One is as powerful as a high end video card?  Which means, MS made the changes.  If MS made the changes why not tout it like the coming of christ?  Why bother saying you've increased GPU and CPU clocks when you've never actually given any clock information?  You could easily have said "Hey this is the GPU clock, it's higher than the PS4s" vs "Hey we increased the clock from a base clock we've never announced".  Why hide a second GPU if you've developed the tech?  AMD would be under NDA not MS.  Unless they literally added the GPU last second, which ... well I wouldn't wanna be an Xbox employee come November when Xboxes start melting.

On the flip end, if MS is under NDA, I'm sure AMD would be pimping out their tech and putting it in their roadmaps, which they haven't.  For a comparison; they've mentioned they're going to be manufacturing PS4 APU's for consumers.

Which leads to the next possibility; dev kits.  It's quite possible that the devkit has a second GPU for development of assets, or debugging.  It would make those crazy mistranslated e-mails make sense.  It would also make sense that Major Nelson would be confused cause he was looking at the devkits and thinking the final build would have a second GPU.

As for the sales guy who made the mistake of talking about stuff he probably shouldn't, who knows.  It would not be the first time a sales person trying to sell their product does not know a lot about what is happening with another.  Do not forget that after Hotchips it was seen that MS does have a huma design just not the standard one that AMD has because of the SRAM, so basically the AMD guy did not know what he was talking about or he only knows that Sony chip follows their HuMA design and has no clue about how the X1 achieve the same results.

@Bolded: You do know that AMD is releasing info on their new chip on Sept 25th right.

I believe you are reaching on the dev kit part.  As for Larry, who knows what he knows but I doubt is devs kits but instead he is just repeating what Albert stated.  No one is really taking Larry that serious but Alberts statements are the one you should be listening to. We shall see if what he says can be backed up but least for release, MS should be fine.

Who knows what chip, thats the question.  On the 25th AMD will be releasing info on their volcanic Island "Hawaii" GPU.  Right now just a bunch of rumors flying around but this is suppose to be the rumored reveal of the dGPU.

Interesting that the person who was making all the comments on the subject post are all deleted including any replys.  He did link to something very interesting which was the linkin profile of an AMD employee who description showed he is QA PS4, X1 and dGPU.  Oh well, it will be interesting when the 29th comes.

Machiavellian said:
darkknightkryta said:

Who knows what chip, thats the question.  On the 25th AMD will be releasing info on their volcanic Island "Hawaii" GPU.  Right now just a bunch of rumors flying around but this is suppose to be the rumored reveal of the dGPU.

Interesting that the person who was making all the comments on the subject post are all deleted including any replys.  He did link to something very interesting which was the linkin profile of an AMD employee who description showed he is QA PS4, X1 and dGPU.  Oh well, it will be interesting when the 29th comes.

So it's going to be info on their new GPU and not an APU?  I know MS has money to spend, but why would they skyrocket their manufacturing costs by adding an unreleased GPU on top of their APU, which is big enough as it is?  I mean, why not just go all out and drop the price of the Xbox One to 299 and say "To hell with it all"?  I mean, it'd be cool if a GPU does exist somewhere on the motherboard, but things just don't add up.  Like what I'm trying to get at, is the APU that Sony built is cheaper to manufacture than the Xbox One's (That eSram eats up a huge chunk of die space) and Sony is either breaking even at 399 or causing a small loss.  The kinect is costing quite a penny, plus the overall APU is more expensive, add in a dedicated GPU and the bill of materials is gonna be close to the cost of the PS3 back when that launched.  Plus the second GPU has to share the DDR3 ram and the move units with the APU, and as most people try to point out; that isn't going to be enough to feed another dedicated GPU (People pointing out that the 8gigs of GDDR5 is useless in the Xbox One cause the GPU is too weak to utilize it, which I don't agree with, but anyways).  And if a dedicated GPU is tacked on, that eSram being on a seperate die space will be useless to that GPU.  There's just so much going against a dedicated GPU being in there, unless it was tacked on at the last minute, which would be suicide for Microsoft.  They've been throwing billions in the the Xbox One as is with software, the billions they're going to loose on hardware if this is true...

ive spent some time going over forums and news sites. and it seems every single one either traces back to a wccftech.com article, or mysterxmedia. If someone can find one that is not connected to those 2, please post it.

because right now we have information from some guy in russia with a livejournal account, and a guy in pakistan who seems to think its interesting that his source "works with a whole group" ...

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

DD_Bwest said:
ive spent some time going over forums and news sites. and it seems every single one either traces back to a wccftech.com article, or mysterxmedia. If someone can find one that is not connected to those 2, please post it.

because right now we have information from some guy in russia with a livejournal account, and a guy in pakistan who seems to think its interesting that his source "works with a whole group" ...

Don't forget our guy here XD

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Machiavellian said:
darkknightkryta said:

So it's going to be info on their new GPU and not an APU?  I know MS has money to spend, but why would they skyrocket their manufacturing costs by adding an unreleased GPU on top of their APU, which is big enough as it is?  I mean, why not just go all out and drop the price of the Xbox One to 299 and say "To hell with it all"?  I mean, it'd be cool if a GPU does exist somewhere on the motherboard, but things just don't add up.  Like what I'm trying to get at, is the APU that Sony built is cheaper to manufacture than the Xbox One's (That eSram eats up a huge chunk of die space) and Sony is either breaking even at 399 or causing a small loss.  The kinect is costing quite a penny, plus the overall APU is more expensive, add in a dedicated GPU and the bill of materials is gonna be close to the cost of the PS3 back when that launched.  Plus the second GPU has to share the DDR3 ram and the move units with the APU, and as most people try to point out; that isn't going to be enough to feed another dedicated GPU (People pointing out that the 8gigs of GDDR5 is useless in the Xbox One cause the GPU is too weak to utilize it, which I don't agree with, but anyways).  And if a dedicated GPU is tacked on, that eSram being on a seperate die space will be useless to that GPU.  There's just so much going against a dedicated GPU being in there, unless it was tacked on at the last minute, which would be suicide for Microsoft.  They've been throwing billions in the the Xbox One as is with software, the billions they're going to loose on hardware if this is true...

It could be GPU, APU or combination of GPU and APUs, who knows.  AMD isn't talking and the net is all speculation.  Only thing I am stating is that the rumor says that is the date for the reveal.  Actually if another rumor is to be believed than MS already paid the cost for this custom design when they paid AMD 3.5 billion dollars for rights to custom design their chip.  3.5 billion is a lot of money and if you are looking for perspective, MS just bought Nokia devices and services business for 4 billion.

There are a lot of questions about the X1 design that no one knows what MS is doing.  There are plenty of articles out there where people are trying to figure out what MS revealed and what they did not.  Who knows how the dGPU will work, will developers have to code for it.  Will it only handle certain task like a co-processor.  Will it work like a crossfire setup.  There are endless ways things could go but without knowing how the part would fit if the rumor is true there is no clear way to know how MS design of the X1 would work with such a part.  One thing is for sure is that the X1 is a big old custom designed chip with a lot of stuff packed into it.  I can speculate all day but in the end just like people who believe the rumor is true and the ones who believe its not, I will be paying attention come Sept 29th.

As for unreleased, it doesn't matter if its unreleased if they already tested the chip and it performs, not sure where you are going with that argument.  The whole X1 chip is unreleased custom tech from MS.  I believe you are thinking that the dGPU is something MS just added on late in production.  This rumor was in circulation for years.  Its jut very interesting when I thought this rumor was dead it gain all kinds of new life with all this supporting info which tries to fill in holes.  As rumor goes if you read the whole thread, if this is just another throw away rumor that will turn out not to be true, who every started it sure enough tried to cover a lot of holes to make it appear plausible.

toadslayer72 said:
DD_Bwest said:

I was really trying to get that "proof" from him. To bad he didn't bite.

JoeTheBro said:
toadslayer72 said:
DD_Bwest said:

I was really trying to get that "proof" from him. To bad he didn't bite.

oo thanx for that,  i was tlaking to some others earlier and we were wondering if he ever sent you anything. 

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Interesting that all of those post from that guy who posted within this thread are all gone. Probably deleted it all to cover his tracks.

Yay the Xbox One will finally leave the closet!