By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson on X1 Power: "I can't wait for the truth to come out."

Machiavellian said:
Interesting that all of those post from that guy who posted within this thread are all gone. Probably deleted it all to cover his tracks.

the mysterymedia guy?  his posts are still here..

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

No there was a guy posting yesterday going on about the rumor as well and he posted a link to a AMD guy which showed he was QA lead or something on the X1, PS4 and dGPU. All of his post are gone.

what is thehunter_orion?   he was in one of the other threads talking about this.  i think we have 4 threads now.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

LOL, this is hilarious. At first, they were trying to say that the Cloud would close the power gap. They were called out on it being BS, regardless of how fanboys just gobbled it up. Then, they decided to upclock the CPU and GPU, which barely did anything to close the gap. Of course, diehards gobbled that up, as well. Now, they're going to try and claim their SW programmers are going to close the gap? I'm guessing this being meaningless PR dribble is why his thread was locked on Gaf. On a positive note, this disproves the ridiculous dGPU rumor diehards have been trying to grasp at the last few days.

It's time to get over it. The PS4 is ~40% more powerful than the Xbox One, and the GPU has performance gap of ~500Gflops. Regardless of what One fans wish to believe, that is no small amount and is something that will become more apparent a year or two from now. Heck, it's already becoming apparent in the fact that Forza 5, in order to achieve 60 fps and graphics on par with Drive Club, must have pre-baked lighting/shadowing, no daylight shifts or weather, and backgrounds that are relatively static.

thismeintiel said:
LOL, this is hilarious. At first, they were trying to say that the Cloud would close the power gap. They were called out on it being BS, regardless of how fanboys just gobbled it up. Then, they decided to upclock the CPU and GPU, which barely did anything to close the gap. Of course, diehards gobbled that up, as well. Now, they're going to try and claim their SW programmers are going to close the gap? I'm guessing this being meaningless PR dribble is why his thread was locked on Gaf. On a positive note, this disproves the ridiculous dGPU rumor diehards have been trying to grasp at the last few days.

It's time to get over it. The PS4 is ~40% more powerful than the Xbox One, and the GPU has performance gap of ~500Gflops. Regardless of what One fans wish to believe, that is no small amount and is something that will become more apparent a year or two from now. Heck, it's already becoming apparent in the fact that Forza 5, in order to achieve 60 fps and graphics on par with Drive Club, must have pre-baked lighting/shadowing, no daylight shifts or weather, and backgrounds that are relatively static.

I will be waiting to see the 40% more powerful when it happens.  I believe people keep forgetting its theoretical not actual.  Meaning if the PS4 can run 100% then it should be 40 percent more juice than the X1.  I guess its the ammo for the PS fanboys this gen, who knows.  Later in the gen, maybey MS can show something with the cloud and the Xbox fanboys will bring out their weapon while the people who love to play games will be blissfully enjoying whatever console they got or all of them in my case.

Its interesting you bring up Driveclub and Forza 5.  When all is said and done, no one cares what tech is being used within a game, they only care about how good the game looks and performs.  Is there anywhere that says driveclub is actually running at 60fps now because last I checked this was something the developers were striving to accomplish but stated they may not achieve it

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/419746/driveclub-dev-debating-over-60fps-target/

So before you go on about Driveclub actually running 60fps, you probably should find out if the devs actually achieved it.  Here is a more recent link that says at gamercons Driveclub is running at a locked 30fps.  SO I guess that pretty much throws out your claim there

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/news/driveclub_isn_t_60fps_yet_but_evolution_still_hopes_to_reach_it_for_launch.html

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
thismeintiel said:

I will be waiting to see the 40% more powerful when it happens.  I believe people keep forgetting its theoretical not actual.  Meaning if the PS4 can run 100% then it should be 40 percent more juice than the X1.  I guess its the ammo for the PS fanboys this gen, who knows.

I believe people keep forgetting the 1.31 TFLOPS performance of the XBO is theoretical not actual. Meaning if the XBO can run 100% then it should be 40% less juice than the PS4. ¬_¬

Hynad said:
Machiavellian said:
thismeintiel said:

I will be waiting to see the 40% more powerful when it happens.  I believe people keep forgetting its theoretical not actual.  Meaning if the PS4 can run 100% then it should be 40 percent more juice than the X1.  I guess its the ammo for the PS fanboys this gen, who knows.

I believe people keep forgetting the 1.31 TFLOPS performance of the XBO is theoretical not actual. Meaning if the XBO can run 100% then it should be 40% less juice than the PS4. ¬_¬

Exactly so should we not see this difference on released games right.  I know people will bring up release games do not show the true power of a system but 40% is a lot. Its not like the X1 and PS4 are running custom designed chips but X86 CPU and GPUs that have been in the market for years. OpenGl API you name it.  So when as stated I see 40% performance then we can start to talk.

The collective mind of the network is only seeing the raw numbers of Ps4. Do not know who's behind all this. But I think we underestimate Xbox One too.

@Machiavellian - Actually the Xbox One does have a custom designed chip. Not a tweaked chip - a custom designed chip. That much IS confirmed.

Sonys chip is semi custom - basically tweaked stock -

http://sonyps4playstation.com/ps4-amd-chip-for-the-new-playstation-is-semi-custom/

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/524745/xbox_one_will_high-performance_custom_chip/

Its whether it contains a dGPU - which is a smaller GPU integrated into the CPU, and apparently improved in AMDs forthcoming Volcanic Islands range of CPU's (which have low, mid and top end variants, and no one's claiming it'll be the top range one in XBoxOne) - as opposed to a second GPU - that is what is most commonly speculated on at this point.

I mean we also know MS gave AMD 3 billion

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/06/03/amd-microsoft-xbox-one-deal-price-tag-more-than-3-billion/

I'm not sure what 3 billion gets you for chips - and I'm not saying this rumor is true - but all this smoke - and I've used all legit official sources - it all seems incredibly disingenuous that it can be debunked so thoroughly by VGC trolls (most of the usual serial trolls) - and that anyone who expresses even the slightest notion that while not all true, maybe there's substance to some speculation - is attacked and trolled.

Xbox fans generally tend to let others think what they want - Sony fans want everyone to agree with them, and have no problem circle trolling/jerking/attacking in threads not related to their platform of choice. Just my observation on the way the rumor thread went.

JimmyDanger said:
@Machiavellian - Actually the Xbox One does have a custom designed chip. Not a tweaked chip - a custom designed chip. That much IS confirmed.

Sonys chip is semi custom - basically tweaked stock -

http://sonyps4playstation.com/ps4-amd-chip-for-the-new-playstation-is-semi-custom/

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/524745/xbox_one_will_high-performance_custom_chip/

Its whether it contains a dGPU - which is a smaller GPU integrated into the CPU, and apparently improved in AMDs forthcoming Volcanic Islands range of CPU's (which have low, mid and top end variants, and no one's claiming it'll be the top range one in XBoxOne) - as opposed to a second GPU - that is what is most commonly speculated on at this point.

I mean we also know MS gave AMD 3 billion

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/06/03/amd-microsoft-xbox-one-deal-price-tag-more-than-3-billion/

I'm not sure what 3 billion gets you for chips - and I'm not saying this rumor is true - but all this smoke - and I've used all legit official sources - it all seems incredibly disingenuous that it can be debunked so thoroughly by VGC trolls (most of the usual serial trolls) - and that anyone who expresses even the slightest notion that while not all true, maybe there's substance to some speculation - is attacked and trolled.

Xbox fans generally tend to let others think what they want - Sony fans want everyone to agree with them, and have no problem circle trolling/jerking/attacking in threads not related to their platform of choice. Just my observation on the way the rumor thread went.

That 3 billion is quoted a lot, but here is the text from that post:

Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices Inc.’s (AMD) multi-year deal to build hardware for Microsoft Corp.’s upcoming Xbox One gaming console was valued at more than US$3-billion, according to a former AMD executive in a posting on LinkedIn.

When you build a console you pay for chips, you don't pay for all 10 years in advance, that it why it says its valued at and mentioned multi-year deal. They havent given AMD $3 billion at this point, this is what it's valued at. Let's say they expect to sell 80 million consoles, that would make the chips say $37 per box. Don't know if thats reasonable, but I think you can see that $3 billion isn't widly crazy at that point.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!