By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Heavy Rain was turned down by Microsoft over child kidnapping story

Microsoft got scared when they saw that you can't shoot a gun in the game.

Well you actually get to shoot a few bullets, but you get the point.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network

Strange reason to not to publish the game however having played Star Ocean 4 and the relationship 2 characters had, I certainly don't think child kidnapping was an issue.

Hmm, pie.

bananaking21 said:
well they missed out on 3million sales and over 100$ million revenue. however the most important thing to note here is that Microsoft was very much scared to take a risk here, while sony was not.

Right, like they were afraid to take a risk with Kinect and 20+ million sales later, or Halo, or etc. 

My friends and I tried Heavy Raid, neither of us really got into it.  Looked neat, but meh with the gameplay.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
bananaking21 said:
well they missed out on 3million sales and over 100$ million revenue. however the most important thing to note here is that Microsoft was very much scared to take a risk here, while sony was not.

Right, like they were afraid to take a risk with Kinect and 20+ million sales later, or Halo, or etc. 

My friends and I tried Heavy Raid, neither of us really got into it.  Looked neat, but meh with the gameplay.

According to you:

Microsoft takes risks to catch casuals, Sony takes risks to please traditional gamers.

If a sci-fi shooter like Halo is a risk, you can say that about any new IP.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

ghettoglamour said:
Zappykins said:
bananaking21 said:

According to you:

Microsoft takes risks to catch casuals, Sony takes risks to please traditional gamers.

If a sci-fi shooter like Halo is a risk, you can say that about any new IP.

When Halo came out there had only ever been one successful shooter.  So ya, it was a tremendous risk.  To get it right they even bought the company, another huge risk.

As was delaying their console, the Xbox, so it could be so much more powerful than their competition. 

As was doubling the RAM on the Xbox 360 so Gears of War could be the amazing great game that it is.

I'm glad they take risk, for without Microsoft and their Silverlight, we wouldn't have much streaming on Netflix, Amazon, Xbox Video, etc.

I could go on, but the point is made.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Usual Microsoft decisions. They only care about garanteed $$$ and ways to extort more $$$. Games? Creativity? Entertainment? Who cares?! Its just a bunch of drones we feed some FPS and TPS to and they will be happy and we will be rich! Or will they...

~

Edit: This user was warned by TruckOSaurus for this post

Honestly companies get bombarded with questions for investments that is how it goes, heavy Rain was not my cup of tea and probably would have been a Kinect game on X360 that would be hardly good playable and be considered as one of the biggest failures of this generation =p.

MS being out of touch once again.

Kidnapping would be an issue? In a video game?

The stupidity. Corporate honchos who don't understand their own business segment.

think-man said:
What a gem to miss, one of the best games on the ps3 imo.

not only that but a developer that knows how to push the systems.  microsoft really need to hire people that are in the entertainment industry.  they are almost as nanny as nintendo.  

Zappykins said:
[...]

When Halo came out there had only ever been one successful shooter.  So ya, it was a tremendous risk.  To get it right they even bought the company, another huge risk.

[...]

Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Half-Life, System Shock, System Shock 2, Heretic, Goldeneye, Turok, Perfect Dark, Duke Nukem 3D, Jedi Knight, Rainbow Six, Unreal, Team Fortress, Outcast, Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor: Underground, Unreal Tournament, Soldier of Fortune, TimeSplitters, Counter-Strike, No One Lives Forever, Serious Sam, Tribes 2, Red Faction.

Which one of those are you referring to as the only one successful? The way I see it, FPS was already a very well established genre when Halo came out in 2001. Microsoft even didn't take any risks at all by changing Halo to a standard shooter. When Halo was announced for PC, it was about to become a totally different game, with a heavy focus on Multiplayer and changeable terrain thanks to a Voxel Engine. Microsoft scrapped all that and just brought a shooter. 

Don't get me wrong, Halo is a good game, but it doesn't have to do anything with risks. At all. Bungie was also cheap back then. They only released Marathon and Marathon II which nobody knew back then.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.