By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I wanna start watching anime, where do I start?

My Guide :

Classics :

- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherood (start with this one !)

- Saint Seya (action, kinda good)

- Naruto (Great Story overall, action)

- One piece (Funny and creative)

- Dragon Ball Z (Classic !)

- Card Captor Sakura (Reinvented Moe, inspiring all animes  since then !)

- Sailor Moon (Inspired Card Captor Sakura, Yuri inside)

- Neon Genesis Evangelion (Launched the third wave of animation, GREAT !)

Modern :

- Haruhi (Slice of Life, launch the Light novel wave, awesome realisation overall) (Best narrator ever)

- Gundam Seed OR Gundam 00 (Where you need to start with gundam right now ! choose with your design taste) (Not childish as it seems)

- Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Surprise of the decade ! Adult, hard and cruel ! Best realisation !)

- Toradora (Best romantic Comedy)

- Candy Boy (Indie, twincest, cuter than hell !) (There are no boys, and it's not about candies either)

- Panty and Stocking (Japanese South Park)

- Sword Art Online (MMORPG, Virtual Reality, Bast Anime of 2013)

- Bakemonogatari (The books (novels) are awesome, shaft animation is as good ! A must see !)

- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawai wake ga Nai ! (Only if you like visual novels)

- Hourou Musuko (Adult (theme, not pr0n), talks about transvestism)

- Aoi Hana (Lesbian)

- Death Note (Shonen, nice)

- Digimon (If you still have you childish heart)

- Usagi Drop (adult theme, if you have childs, very interesting, I cried a little)

I probably forgot some. These are the best i could think off.

Around the Network

I watched 2 episodes of Death Note last night, Seems good so far :)

Anyone who is put off by the otaku/moe culture of anime should watch Cowboy Bebop in order to understand that anime is a mature medium.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Karasu Tengu Kabuto. Tons of violence, swords, blood, nudity, ninjas and a swastika-shaped dragon airship (which is the base of the good guys, btw). The good old days...

I'm gonna try and stick to the anime that are easy to pick up. When you find something you like look it up on myanimelist.net and go to the recommendations section and pick out similar anime/manga from there.

Try and keep in mind that anime are usually butcheries of their manga counterparts, so if you want the real experience you should probably read the manga. I almost never watch anime anymore because manga is so much better.

Just remember to look up each of the anime people have recommended. Stick to the highly ranked stuff for now until you get into it. A lot of the weird lower quality stuff like .hack are designed for smaller niche audiences.

code geass is probably in the same realm as Death Note.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood isn't quite the same genre as anything else but I would call it a masterpiece that should be watched regardless of personal preference.

Sword Art Online is just freaking amazing. Great atmosphere.

Around the Network

Death Note is good. If you have a LOT of time you can always watch Bleach and Naruto. I find Bleach captures the essence of DBZ the best in the sense that it has great power ups and super fights, but Naruto has a more interesting story - the fights are decent too. Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood) is a great one too.

Claymore was one I liked. Nice and short and had decent fights.

Death Note and Attack on Titan are both good starting anime.

D-E-A-T-H... N-O-T-E

Best anime of all time!

eres el unico que puede tomar la desicion que nadie mas puede... la correcta

I would start with the Trigun series. I would then follow that up with Neon Genesis. You'll go into Hellsing from there. And finish it off with some Samurai Champloo.

After this call me in the morning for your next prescription.

DBZ

ABRIDGED!!!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.