By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I wanna start watching anime, where do I start?

Basilisk, why has nobody recommended this?

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

Around the Network
allblue said:
Basilisk, why has nobody recommended this?

It's a little heavy for first timers...

KylieDog said:

Stay away from modern anime, is mostly crap.

Old anime is mostly crap, too.  People just tend to forget things like MD Geist or Eiken.  Actually, thinking back on it, the magical girl era was a lot worse than the moe period.

KylieDog said:
pokoko said:

Old anime is mostly crap, too.  People just tend to forget things like MD Geist or Eiken.  Actually, thinking back on it, the magical girl era was a lot worse than the moe period.

What was wrong with MD Geist?  I've not watched that for about 20 years but I don't rememer anything especially bad about it, just didn't appeal to me.  I mainly remember the asshole moment at the end of the first, then again at the end of the second.

It is worse now as the net means more of bad stuff leaves japan.

I hated MD Geist, it was like watching a bad direct-to-video action film except animated.  It usually ranks as one of the worst ever.

I used to trade VHS tapes online, a lot of the time you'd end up with a bunch of random stuff, much of it bad, so I saw a lot that never left Japan.  I had Tonde Burin on VHS, which is the magical girl anime where she turns into a pig.  The period where you had a lot of stuff trying to be the next Fist of the Northstar was especially awful.  The period where everything tried to be the next Sailor Moon was fantastic in comparison.  At least the ecchi harem era brought in more comedy.

Try here:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime

Around the Network
angelocp said:
D-E-A-T-H... N-O-T-E

Best anime of all time!

You've not watched many animes, have you ?

Watamote :^)

Im 10 episodes into death note :P love it

You start with watching everything that GAINAX has released, in the order they released it, and then you stop again.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

KylieDog said:

Dominion Tank Police (series, 4 Acts)
New Dominion Tank Police (series, 8 Acts, I think)
Monster City (Sometimes called Demon City, or Demon City Shinjuku)
Street Fighter II: The animated Movie - Make sure watch uncensored version with swearing, also Chun-Li's boobs.
Appleseed (original)
Battle Angel Alita (Two part OVA)
Guyver: Bio Booster Armour (series, 12 parts, original series)
Guyver: Bio Boosted Armour (series, 24 or so parts, watch this after the original, the original is better but this takes the story further)
Ninja Scroll
Patlabor: The Movie
Patlabor 2: The Movie

Stay away from modern anime, is mostly crap.

So old school, that's the kind of stuff that used to come on Si-fi channel at night. It reminds me that anime isn't as violent as it used to be.