By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo's War against the Vita as Malicious as it's war against the Genesis was?

?

Yes, much worse though 17 27.42%

No, not as bad 12 19.35%

yes 6 9.68%

no 25 40.32%

other post below. 2 3.23%

Total:62

Even if Sony put some hard money behind the Vita and created console selling games they still live under the philosophy that 3rd party games are the main reason behind buying their devices. With Nintendo owning the handheld world since the Gameboy it's pretty hard to convince anyone outside of studios who want to release uber Japanese games to spend capital on Vita development.

That's what's so dangerous about the Wii U, attaching the 3DS and adding another level of immersion. Long story short, it's not even a fair fight; Sony thought that their totally awesome 50cal rifle was perfect to take out Nintendo in a fight but the moment they stepped into the ring Nintendo was on board a zumwalt class destroyer 50 miles away laughing while ordering a bombardment of the area.

Around the Network

Well, Nintendo's "war on Vita" meant that they had to let the WiiU suffer from a drought.

Cubedramirez said:
That's what's so dangerous about the Wii U, attaching the 3DS and adding another level of immersion. Long story short, it's not even a fair fight; Sony thought that their totally awesome 50cal rifle was perfect to take out Nintendo in a fight but the moment they stepped into the ring Nintendo was on board a zumwalt class destroyer 50 miles away laughing while ordering a bombardment of the area.

Nice analogy. You win the thread:)

Lawlight said:
Well, Nintendo's "war on Vita" meant that they had to let the WiiU suffer from a drought.

i wouldn't say that, but nintendo did **** up badly non the less with wiiu

badgenome said:
Yes, but not as vicious as Nintendo's war against the Wii U.

BAHAHA! I'm a HUGE Nintendo fanboy but dang, this made me laugh out loud! I didn't think it was possible to perfectly time humor in a forum, but you did it! *claps* 

To the OP, none of this was "accidental." Nintendo has been razor sharp and extremely protective of 3DS from the start. It wasn't selling...$80 price cut (they could've done $50 and been just fine, but they clearly weren't taking ANY chances)...they needed games...pull people from Retro and Monolith Soft and others to help get 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 in time for holidays. Vita is about to launch, MH3G exclusivity deal with Capcom, and also teasing MH4 for 3DS which is at the very least a timed exclusive. 3DS does better, HUGE in Japan but merely average everywhere else...redesign, 3DSXL is born. Things are again going even better, but still not quite well enough outside of Japan...barrage of key software from first-party and third-party in the first half of 2013. Things start going pretty well everywhere. Vita gets a price cut. Within weeks...2DS for $70 cheaper than Vita AND it's safe for children under 7 with no 3D...you know what else is safe and good for children...Pokemon. And here we are...weeks before MH4 in Japan and just about a month til Pokemon X/Y come out worldwide and tear up the charts...oh, and just for good measure they're releasing a brand new 2D Zelda game in November just to keep those few "hardcore, yet non-Pokemon" gamers happy. 3DS is golden. 

As others said...if only they'd been THIS aggressive with the Wii U. Oh well...with the price cut and the solid slate of games coming this holiday, backed up by Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, X, Yarn Yoshi, and SMT X Fire Emblem in 2014, AND showing off the next Zelda by E3 next year, Wii U should be fine. It won't EVER be Wii...but from a hardcore gamer perspective, I think we'll all probably be happier with Wii U's actual software library in the long run. 

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network
badgenome said:

LOL, this.

To be precise, Nintendo doesn't really fight the Vita, Sony defeated themself. I think Nintendos actions are more focused on getting a merket for handhelds in the world of tablets and smartphones - because look at the numbers: the 3DS+Vita market will be a lot smaller than the DS+PSP market was.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

TK14 said:
badgenome said:

BAHAHA! I'm a HUGE Nintendo fanboy but dang, this made me laugh out loud! I didn't think it was possible to perfectly time humor in a forum, but you did it! *claps* 

To the OP, none of this was "accidental." Nintendo has been razor sharp and extremely protective of 3DS from the start. It wasn't selling...$80 price cut (they could've done $50 and been just fine, but they clearly weren't taking ANY chances)...they needed games...pull people from Retro and Monolith Soft and others to help get 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 in time for holidays. Vita is about to launch, MH3G exclusivity deal with Capcom, and also teasing MH4 for 3DS which is at the very least a timed exclusive. 3DS does better, HUGE in Japan but merely average everywhere else...redesign, 3DSXL is born. Things are again going even better, but still not quite well enough outside of Japan...barrage of key software from first-party and third-party in the first half of 2013. Things start going pretty well everywhere. Vita gets a price cut. Within weeks...2DS for $70 cheaper than Vita AND it's safe for children under 7 with no 3D...you know what else is safe and good for children...Pokemon. And here we are...weeks before MH4 in Japan and just about a month til Pokemon X/Y come out worldwide and tear up the charts...oh, and just for good measure they're releasing a brand new 2D Zelda game in November just to keep those few "hardcore, yet non-Pokemon" gamers happy. 3DS is golden. 

As others said...if only they'd been THIS aggressive with the Wii U. Oh well...with the price cut and the solid slate of games coming this holiday, backed up by Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, X, Yarn Yoshi, and SMT X Fire Emblem in 2014, AND showing off the next Zelda by E3 next year, Wii U should be fine. It won't EVER be Wii...but from a hardcore gamer perspective, I think we'll all probably be happier with Wii U's actual software library in the long run. 

as i am excited for DK/Sonic/Mario and im getting LoZ WWHD(im not excited, getting for my bro+sis), 2014 will have such an attractive lineup. Non nintendo gamers buy nintendo system for MK+SSB,nuff said.... but i'lll continue, X + Bayo2 is fucking amazing! People actually think X is a ps4 title lol (read it on ign comments and their were alot), then we hopefully have Zelda WiiU!