By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How the heck are we supposed to reach the 2DS touchscreen?

He can't name any games that requires touchscreen and face buttons simultaneously because there are very few games that use a dual approach. Kid Icarus is the main game that comes to my mind and that game already has control issues for people who write with their left hands to due to having to hold stylus in the right hand.

Basically, the op is looking for an issue without there being one. He can't provide any games that will suffer nor has he even held a 2DS in his hands. I think I'll make a thread complaining about my hands hurting while holding my Wii U gamepad while laying down in bed.

Around the Network
Conina said:

The touchscreen of the 2DS is the same size as the touchscreen of the 3DS, only the 3DS XL has larger screens. And since they had to align the controls to the (wider) upper screen instead of the (narrower) bottom screen, the border around the touchscreen of the 2DS is larger than the border of the 3DS and the 3DS XL.

So the touchscreen is not closer to the hand. The 3DS XL has the best ratio of display size and border size, the 2DS has the worst.

But in most 3DS games it won't be a problem, since they aren't as touchscreen-heavy as some old DS games.

Yeah, the 2DS and 3DS screens are indeed of the same size. I made my initial false assuption based on one image I saw close to the system's reveal.

Still, your 3DS XL comparison has a flaw. Looking at the image that you provided, you can see that it is easier to reach the entire 2DS touchscreen since the middle of it is closer to the edges.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Yeah, the 2DS and 3DS screens are indeed of the same size. I made my initial false assuption based on one image I saw close to the system's reveal.

Still, your 3DS XL comparison has a flaw. Looking at the image that you provided, you can see that it is easier to reach the entire 2DS touchscreen since the middle of it is closer to the edges.

Only if the object to touch is exactly in the middle of the touch screen. the more it is to the border, the easier it is with the 3DS XL.

And the normal 3DS will be the best choice for small hands of all three options.

But the whole discussion is mostly academic...when you use a stylus, the size of the borders is irrelevant.

And without using the stylus, inputs on the resistive touchscreen are a chore anyway. I want a 3DS XL Deluxe with a capacitive touchscreen. ;)

sethnintendo said:

He can't name any games that requires touchscreen and face buttons simultaneously because there are very few games that use a dual approach. Kid Icarus is the main game that comes to my mind and that game already has control issues for people who write with their left hands to due to having to hold stylus in the right hand.

Basically, the op is looking for an issue without there being one. He can't provide any games that will suffer nor has he even held a 2DS in his hands. I think I'll make a thread complaining about my hands hurting while holding my Wii U gamepad while laying down in bed.

Just look at this picture.

The kid is using the touch screen obviously. Look at where his other hand is!!!!!!!!!!! He naturally is holding it the same way you would a 3DS. Only difference is the buttons aren't there anymore. This 10 year old kid shows perfectly that this is indeed worse than the 3DS's button positions. How much worse? You can decide.

JoeTheBro said:
sethnintendo said:

The kid is using the touch screen obviously. Look at where his other hand is!!!!!!!!!!! He naturally is holding it the same way you would a 3DS. Only difference is the buttons aren't there anymore. This 10 year old kid shows perfectly that this is indeed worse than the 3DS's button positions. How much worse? You can decide.

The whole point is not many games make you use the stylus and hit buttons at the same time. There could be some games that suffer due to the design but that is yet to be determined. I assume less than 1% of DS and 3DS library would be affected due to design layout.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:

You know the difference between advertisements and reality?

This boy isn't really playing a game, he is acting for the camera. So the position of his hand is not a good indicator for your argument.

JoeTheBro said:
sethnintendo said:

joe, slow down. Your biased isnt helping .Why would you need to have your hands on the buttons? He obviously isnt playing a game, he is either browsing online or doing some type of game like Art academy. The buttons are fine on the top cuz your hands be right next to the action. No matter wat this is going to sell massive, the great price point is the main reason, and after a couple days of the announcement with some people hands on, people are liking it. 4 days ago 4 out 5 people talked bad about it, but after calming down people are actually embracing it. They love it, why? Its $130 and apparently feels great! 2DS FTW :0

sethnintendo said:
JoeTheBro said:
sethnintendo said:

The whole point is not many games make you use the stylus and hit buttons at the same time. There could be some games that suffer due to the design but that is yet to be determined. I assume less than 1% of DS and 3DS library would be affected due to design layout.

Doesn't almost every single game have a touch screen menu?

Also I thought mario items used the touch screen?

Also I thought Mario and Luigi Dream team used the touchscreen in gameplay?

Also I thought Animal Crossing used the touchscreen a lot?

In reading this thread. I wonder how may people have tried the 2DS. My guess is next to none, if not none.

Because a log of hands-on stories actually found th machine much better than expected.

I think it is toy-ish. I don't think it is meant for me. I want to hold it before passing judgement.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

JoeTheBro said:

Doesn't almost every single game have a touch screen menu?

Also I thought mario items used the touch screen?

Also I thought Mario and Luigi Dream team used the touchscreen in gameplay?

Also I thought Animal Crossing used the touchscreen a lot?

Most games have some sort of interface with the bottom screen but there is usually pause in the game or the game doesn't require you to use touch and buttons at the same exact time.  For Mario it was just a simple tap on the bottom screen and then the item fell down on top of you.  Animal Crossing the touch screen is mainly used for item management and sending messages. 

The only true games that might have a problem would be games like Kid Icarus, Metroid Prime Hunters, The World Ends With You, etc...  which have unique controls/involves the stylus along with buttons at the same time.