By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - View of Wii-fit from a non-Wii owner's prespective (No Wii owners allowed)

Wales, and several other people in this thread: this is a nice trick, but it's treading thin ice. It is, essentially, an "I don't like Wii Fit, and think it's pretty dumb, but no Wii owners allowed here! No one can respond unless they agree with me!" thread.

New rule that I have just made up: you cannot tell other people or groups not to respond to you. You can choose not to talk to them, or anything else you like, but a "No PS3/Wii/Girls allowed" thread isn't constructive. If you don't like something feel free to say so, but you shouldn't tell others that they cannot respond to your posts. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

jjseth said:
I cannot understand why there are people out there who want this game so badly? I think part of it is that they want the Wii to succeed so much that they are willing to buy a game (can you really call it that?) that will probably gather alot of dust after the initial buzz of having a new game wears off and will see little use after a week.

Just like the wiimote and wii sports i'll bet

Last time I checked, balancing on a board and doing gestures that the mini-games probably use will give you a slight cardio workout. Better then nothing, but nothing quite like the real thing. So doing pushups, or even yoga poses, on the balance board rather than the floor is nothing quite like the real thing? Yeh i can see how you came to a conclusion like that.. The joy of exercising for me involves the outdoors and getting fresh air. Then i guess you don't go to the gym much, surprisingly quite a number of people do..

How motivated would a person be to exercise when they at first have poor cardio (most likely, we are gamers and many of us are far out of shape) and they have the TV right in front of them, and a couch right behind them and probably some hot pockets in the microwave. Why does anyone exercise when they have a tv and couch at home, with hot pockets next to the microwave? What motivates you to do something like pushups on wii fit, rather than on the ground (which is the exact same exercise) is that you are rewarded not only by the benefits of exercise, but scores on screen, you can try to best your previous score next time you play, or compare who can do the most in the family.. Again, this could all be done without wii fit, but it is the convenience of it that makes the difference and is what motivates people to do it.

Is it something that you will be forced to have so you are feigning interest in the game so your parents get off your back about playing games for too long in a day? That way you jump on your balance board and do your little "work out" for 5 minutes to placate your parents and then get back in couch potato position.
Yes.. definitely... that is my plan.. don't tell me parents, they might ground me and not let me go to work!

No matter what happens with this game, in no way would it convince me to go and buy a Wii and especially not buy this game. (Only way I'd buy a Wii is if my GF wanted one, but I wouldn't play it much and not wiifit at all). They could promise me one free hooker and I still wouldn't buy this game. (Unless the hooker is Scarlett Johansson).
No comment on this, since it is your opinion and you have a right to it

And that is all i'm going to say in this thread.. because it seems pretty clear that it was created to flame something that you are not being forced to like, and i have been sucked into the discussion, debate, whatever you want to call it

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting people to respond to posts... but here at VGChartz we have a high standard. Indeed, some of the content in our threads are actually REFERENCED in other threads.

There's nothing wrong with discussing WiiFit excluding Wii owners. But it would be severely biased, not UNbiased as you claim in the very initial post. The reason is so obvious--the majority of non-wii owners on this forum are those who don't find games on the Wii appealing, including WiiSports. If you don't like WiiSports, chances are you won't like WiiFit. How much stronger of a selection bias can you get?

the Wii is an epidemic.

I know this is "probably" old and many of you have heard this, but I heard it tonight and I got a giggle from it.

Wiiiiii- I hate this 

Just makes me think of Wii-Fit and all of that stuff.  It's humor and if you don't like a parody song, and are easily offended by a song making fun of the wii, please don't listen to it.  

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Tabsina,

I don't go to the gym and I used to do that in the past. But when I'm looking for a cardio workout, I don't like to do it indoors. I'd rather be jogging or running outside. I can go biking, or hiking and enjoy nature. Hard to do that when I'm in my living room staring at a TV while on the floor.

If I want to lift weights, of course I do it indoors. Not many of us are blessed with weather that allows us to lift weights outside.

So you are saying that I should pay $100 (or whatever it will cost for the game) plus the $250 + tax for a Wii, just so I can do exercises that I can do on my floor right now! Wow! Where do I sign up for that deal? When I referred to the "real thing" I was talking about the cardio workout that getting out and running/jogging/biking can do for you. It's pretty high impact to try to jog in place on a floor, when you have something low impact like biking.

I brought up the TV and couch at home because you are still paying attention to the TV and if you get discouraged for a moment, you can take a break in the middle of your exercise and give up after a couple minutes instead of completing it. I will agree and concede that wiifit is trying to push some good things by making those normally a couch potato to be active. But the ones who will get and use this game consistently will not be the couch potatoes and inactive people. It will be those who may actually go to a gym, or have workout tapes and use them.

And the purpose of exercise is not to consistently stomp your previous best. Eventually you will hit a wall and if you try too hard you could overexert yourself and cause injury. Not exactly a good thing to do. ;)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Wales, and several other people in this thread: this is a nice trick, but it's treading thin ice. It is, essentially, an "I don't like Wii Fit, and think it's pretty dumb, but no Wii owners allowed here! No one can respond unless they agree with me!" thread.

New rule that I have just made up: you cannot tell other people or groups not to respond to you. You can choose not to talk to them, or anything else you like, but a "No PS3/Wii/Girls allowed" thread isn't constructive. If you don't like something feel free to say so, but you shouldn't tell others that they cannot respond to your posts.

Nice. I like that. I blame Wii Fit for this new rule.

So how is it being Bodhesatva? 

i myself may own a wii but also a pc. i wasnt really interested in wiifit till i read this thread and saw the videos. myself i am thin but still wanna work out but for me there really isnt any motivation to do so. same with my wife she wants to work out badly but procrastinates like me and never does it. now with wiifit i can see it like a personal trainer. but also a way to control how u work out/do arobics. so i might let my wife watch these videos and see what she says.

@OP making a thread like this is basically asking sony and MS fanboys what they think bout a game on the opposing system. which i can garuntee your results would be that they hate it cause its on the competition console but wont admiit it. its like asking a nintendo fanboy what he thinks bout MGS4. it wouldnt be pretty.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

jjseth said:
I cannot understand why there are people out there who want this game so badly? I think part of it is that they want the Wii to succeed so much that they are willing to buy a game (can you really call it that?) that will probably gather alot of dust after the initial buzz of having a new game wears off and will see little use after a week.

I totally resent that remark.

Bodhesatva said:

>No one can respond unless they agree with me!" thread.

agree with me? I simply as for people who OWN PS360 to respond, Unless you are implying everyone who owns PS360 has a same opinion as me? If that's the case, why would I even ask in the first place?

If you read this thread, there are people who like it, there are people who dislike it, and there are people who would buy a Wii just for Wiifit. and Yes, all of those are part of "I don't have a Wii" crowd, NOT the "I have to agree with KingofWale" crowd. Hope that's clear.

And secondly, Since I have no rule to actually ban anybody from my thread, it's hardly a typical forum 'rule'. I simply asked nicely for those who own a Wii to not respond. Some still did, and I accept the survey of those with 'thanks' as long as they give a reasonable explanation of their attitude toward the subject.  

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I feel like Wiifit is the new Eyetoy, short lasting fun with much less appeal than it initially would be attributed.
I've never seen a franchise such as this really take off like some expect it too, and I don't see it now either.
And aiming a game at folks who generally don't play games is a bold, and frankly, rather too risky a move as I see it. We've seen upon launch of "core" titles that the hardware boosts are really insignificant, and this signals to me that most of the Wii owners are in fact not non-gamer casuals, and that the machine has sold a whole lot less to this demographic than many hope/think.
So, that is why I don't have much faith in Wiifit, even in uber-casual Japan the sales are dropping quite a bit every week after the holidays, and the figures will be quite small within 2-3 months time if the trend continues.
And compared to SMG (and SSBB's first week sales), sales weren't really spectacular to begin with, moving a lot slower than both those games in the same period.