By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Now that the Vita had a price drop, will the Wii U still be able to catch it this year?

Can the wii U over take?

Not this year now 42 19.27%

Yes 88 40.37%

Maybe 36 16.51%

Not at all. 50 22.94%

Other post below 2 0.92%

Total:218
tbone51 said:
JoeTheBro said:
The Wii U was never going to catch up this year.

And why exactly is that? "Never" really?

Wii U has been getting games this year. It got Lego City, monster hunter, Injustice, WarioWare, etc. They seem like nothing to the doom and gloom cloud, except Pikmin, but still WAY more than what Vita received.  Heck Vita is getting its first real game of the year next week with Rayman Legends(or that boob one last week I guess). That's 9 months in the west without a single non trash game! Even so, week by week it has managed to outsell Wii U. Now that it finally is getting games like Killzone and Tearaway plus PS4 remote play, why would Nintendo's holiday games be enough to not only beat it weekly but close the 2 million plus gap?

Heck the week Pikmin 3 came out in the US, the Vita still beat the Wii U with sales from that boob game. People only even know that boob game exists because of a stupid kotaku controversy months ago, and yet that stupid game pushed more systems than the much bigger and advertized Pikmin 3.

Around the Network

I think the Wii-u is likely to get a bump towards Xmas more than Vita, but I think before that the Vita will start to make a bit more of a gap, and will keep its nose ahead.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I think God Eater will not let's Wii u outselling Vita

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

the-pi-guy said:
spemanig said:

It already had a price cut, and nope.

12,732 7,376 11,634 34,233
6,689 6,524 20,129 39,564

Bolded are Japanese sales.  

Here, pretty sure it's still relevant here.  

spemanig said:

Lol, doesn't take much faith with numbers like Donkey Kong's 5m, Wii Party's 7m, Mario & Sonic's 8m, Super Mario 3D Land's 8m+, Super Smash Bros' 10m, Wii Fit's 20m, and Mario Kart's 34m. Compared to what? Killzone's 2.9m? Infamous' 2.6m? Lol, ok. You could've maybe argued Kinect's 20m if the thing wasn't $500 plus subscription. "Hardcore gamers" have never and will never influence how well a system will sell. Get ready for a shit storm come the end of Janaury than all next gen consoles are completely out of the womb and have to fair for themselves without preorders or black friday to protect them. 

Something to consider about those successes, a lot of those games have been around for awhile and the Wii or DS versions were the only games to see massive success.  It's hard to say whether they'll be able to replicate that success on Wii U in any manner.  Wii was a system that everybody bought, the Wii U won't see the same success.   See Gamecube for a system that didn't even sell as much as Mario Kart Wii.  N64 sold about 33 million, so there are at least 2 Nintendo systems that didn't even sell as much as a game on the Wii.  Let alone the Virtual Boy.  

I just responded, and where did you get those numbers?

EDIT: So it turns out I was looking at USA numbers... My bad on that one.

fps_d0minat0r said:
Is there even any point comparing the wii U and the Vita?

The vita isnt doing great but I think the wii U is doing worse.
I cant see MH4 selling as many Wii U's as opposed to 3DS.

they both are comparible cuz they both suck with their sales now. Vita been on the market for awhile, wiiu can catch it but its not a big achievement since both are selling terrible right now.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
tbone51 said:
JoeTheBro said:
The Wii U was never going to catch up this year.

And why exactly is that? "Never" really?

Wii U has been getting games this year. It got Lego City, monster hunter, Injustice, WarioWare, etc. They seem like nothing to the doom and gloom cloud, except Pikmin, but still WAY more than what Vita received.  Heck Vita is getting its first real game of the year next week with Rayman Legends(or that boob one last week I guess). That's 9 months in the west without a single non trash game! Even so, week by week it has managed to outsell Wii U. Now that it finally is getting games like Killzone and Tearaway plus PS4 remote play, why would Nintendo's holiday games be enough to not only beat it weekly but close the 2 million plus gap?

Heck the week Pikmin 3 came out in the US, the Vita still beat the Wii U with sales from that boob game. People only even know that boob game exists because of a stupid kotaku controversy months ago, and yet that stupid game pushed more systems than the much bigger and advertized Pikmin 3.

WiiU didn't get games, it had a long drought. MH+Lego came out the same time (stupid decision on Ninty) and we just got pikmin 3, the only game that should of done well(which isn't that bad). WiiU has games coming Oct (W101 is a cool game that no1 will own). Vita got lots of games, they are just Japan oriented(but you listed MH which is the same thing). WiiU has a slight chance, even though both are terrible with sales but saying NEVER is just being Biased. We all dont know how well it could do with SM3DW/DKTF/SLW/LoZ WW HD this holiday. Deja Vu with Vita+3DS Fiasco. Just saying, i think Vita will have around a mil more sales than WiiU but at the same time there is always a chance something can change. Nobody before 3DS price cut thought it would kill the vita right?

small44 said:

1 huge game vs 4 huge games... (this includes Mario)

Why would the Vita price cut boost sales? In Europe at least, the retailers were already selling below the price cut price. Sony's cut just stopped it looking like "mad discounting" was going on.

I think Wii U will have a fantastic December bolstered by Mario 3D World and PS4/XBONE shortages.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

tbone51 said:
small44 said:

But Vita already had 2 millions advantage

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:
tbone51 said:
small44 said:

But Vita already had 2 millions advantage

i kno! Thats why its a maybe, but at the same time Mario is a wiiu title with LoZ even if its a remake, then DK+Sonic should do well!