By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFVII remake on the way? (AKA, the rumor that never dies!)

Dodece said:
Honestly I don't see any major reason for them to remake the game let alone release it on the same platform where you can play the original. That said I would think that unless it was released to as large an audience as possible it wouldn't have the commercial success that would justify the use of resources. A new game would probably generate far more income then rehashing a old game.

Were this game to actually go into development I hardly doubt it would be exclusive unless one of the manufacturers ponies up the funds to make it so. Given the fact that Square is straddling the fence between three competitors trying to balance all sides. Were your platform to get an exclusive game chances are it would cost you another exclusive game.

A remake could very well cost the PS3 Kingdom Hearts. Nintendo might get that game. Microsoft might get a new original intellectual property. Just thinking how it would naturally flow. The only player that might actually pony up the cash for exclusivity of FF7 and be happy to do so would be Microsoft.

Were the game made it could play out in so many ways. The console manufacturer might get it as a token development. The game might be multi platform in an attempt to ensure revenue. Square could take it to a different market they haven't exploited yet. None of the players might want it if strings are attached. You can get this, but not this. Hell this could be something really fantastic in comparison. So the player you least expect might get it, because it is the least desired.

I could see it given Squares track record. They have to toss Microsoft a bone so instead of a Kingdom Hearts, or a future Final Fantasy installment. They give the remake to the 360. Chilling thought isn't it. Anyway its so far off in the future if it happens. That nothing is certain or sacred it could all depend on the landscape and politics.

Im sorry but i cant see ff7 on the 360. Im sure ms would pony up alot of money for a new ip to call their own (see infinite undiscovery) but just because ms has tons of money to throw around doesnt mean they will get everyhting they want. Sqaure and sony have a pretty good relationship, sony even own a tiny bit of them, i dont think square would want to stab a buisness partner in the back like that. And whose to say sony hasnt already ponied up money for a remake already? I agree with the whole KH on wii thing but the ps3 is starting to take off in terms of hardware sold. It has outsold the 360 every week this year even with no major releases, a higher pricepoint, and not as many triple AAA games. 

Around the Network

haha @ FF7 on the 360

This rumor has been going on for ages...basically since the year after Final Fantasy VII was released...its going to take some really solid info to start believing in it again...

DMeisterJ said:
It will never happen. At this point all we can hope on is a release of it on the PSN. But didn't an interview happen where SE said they would be working on remakes for the PSN? or was that a dream that I had?

No, I heard that too........or was it a dream as well?

@dabaus513

Square has a good relationship with everybody, and that is part of the problem. They are not particularly loyal to any console manufacturer, and they play that position all the way to the bank. They force the manufacturers to compete for their games. Meanwhile positioning themselves so that nobody gets a distinct advantage.

They are balancing on a tight rope as long as they stay dead center they will reap serious rewards thanks to their position. The exclusive games are a hot commodity that everyone is fronting big cash for. However if Square tips the development too far to any side and gives any one manufacturer a serious advantage even for a short period of time they will not be able to return to that position.

Suppose square develops four or five exclusive RPGs for the PS3, and one for the 360 and one for the Wii. Well the status quo is shattered. Have no illusions it is a race and a competitive one at that. You let the other competitors fall too far behind, and they will abandon the race looking for alternative solutions. Microsoft and Nintendo will just go out and buy exclusives elsewhere, or build their own infrastructure. Leaving square at the mercy of one manufacturer who no longer has to shell out.

They are playing a dangerous game, but a smart game. They keep themselves the premier developer that gets extraordinary consideration. Further more while they are contested between the manufacturers. Those manufacturers have to dedicate resources to obtaining their games rather then making games of their own or striking up exclusivity with other third party developers.

At the end of the day its all politics, and in such an environment strange deals and strange bedfellows are common place. Square has the manufacturers right where they want them. They aren't going to screw that up by playing favorites or courting tradition.

You have to move beyond brand loyalty. Square sure as hell has if getting the most money for their work means they have to placate everybody and play all sides off against each other. Yeah they are going to do that. Yes your probably going to see platforms you don't own get things that you think should be predestined for your own.

What I am saying is that the property would most likely be up for grabs, but getting it probably will have a steep price. The only real question is who will pay for it. Who will go out on a limb and sacrifice a new property to get their hands on a old one. What do you think the manufacturers positions will be on the title if square decides to make it.

Honestly its far too early to say where any next game in any series is going to go.

I think there's body to this rumor, partly because its popped up in many independent channels of information and partly because it seems like a good move considering how everyone at E3 went absolutely bonkers at that tech demo.
Such a game could warrant more sales than the next installment in the main series, it seems.
I guess we'll see in time, but not this year, and not the next.
I'm thinking more like E3 or GDC 2010 for this, when all three FFXIII titles have had time to simmer and sell for a while.

Around the Network

i think it will be made but around 2010

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

ClaudeLv250 said:
The only thing I've heard about an FFVII remake (besides the nedless rumors that spawned in 2001) is that FFVII could come to the PSN with updated graphics. That could please a lot of the FF fanboys for awhile but it's not a real remake.

Personally I don't think an FFVII remake is going to come to the PS3. But I don't think it's going to the Wii either. I just don't think it's going to happen this gen, and if it does it's going to be at the very end of the generation. I still thinkit's a little soon and all the key members are still busy. When Nomura is done with Versus XIII he is no doubt going to be pulled into KH3 immediately, which could suck up his time for another 2-3 years. And then what after that? KH4? You know it's going to happen and if they want 2 KH per gen, it will.

Nomura is only doing character design and Kitase is much more important to FFVII Remake than Nomura is. It all depends on what Kitase is going to be doing once FFXIII releases whenever next year. Nomura is involved in many more projects than Kitase but they are not huge roles, example being that Nomura designed Lightning but he never knew her name and said he was even surprised by the name choice.

A FFVII remake will be done by the FFXIII team so it depends what they are doing next, not what Nomura is doing.

God, I so hope so. That and ff8... Please God Please :P

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Soriku said:
This rumor again...? Man, it'll never die ;) Even if it does happen, it won't for a long time. They have to finish Versus XIII, then Nomura's working on KH3 after Versus XIII, which could very well take over 2 years. THEN they need to plan the remake and THEN make it, which would take 1.5-2 years also. So it would take 5 years+ to get it to come, and then the new systems will probably come...

Why do you bring up the Nomura schedule when he won't be making the game? All he will do is the character designs like he done with FFXIII, nothing else. The FFXIII team will be the ones that head up a FFVII remake should it happen and not Nomura. I don't get it why Nomura keeps getting brought up when Toriyama and Kitase's roles will be far greater in the game. The Director and Producer are the driving force, not the character designer and FFXIII will be released in 09 at the latest which leaves plenty of time for it to happen this gen...

And Square are the ones who keep the rumors alive by just not saying no that a remake will never happen. I mean, here they basically say that a FFVII remake is on their minds it's just not possible because of the schedule and that they will see when Nomura/Kitase schedule lightens up and that will be in 09 when FFXIII releases. So Square are the main ones to blame for the FFVII remake hope never dying. 

You know, Square is not deaf, and quite frankly as i said in an earlier post, this rumor has been alive and running since the year after FF7 actually came out...its something that comes up constantly, so under some form or the other, square is bound to think something up.

Just look at all the FF7 games which came out after, wouldnt you think that a remake of the original game would be the pinnacle of this project, im sure they have something up their sleeves. Im just not waiting for it because as i said, its a rumor which will soon have 8 years on its shoulders