By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So PS4 Is Basically Going To Win This Gen, Right?

Lawlight said:
ironmanDX said:
Wow, this sounds like 2005!

Where people were saying that the PS3 would win? They were right.

struggle to get second place isn't exactly winning.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Conegamer said:
I wouldn't be so certain. They'll have the best launch, but how people will accept it say, 6 months in, is as of yet an unknown. So if Nintendo strike hard with Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and a price cut, and other smaller titles, I could see them snatching the momentum and the generation with it.

So, I say it's probable, that the PS4 will be win, but not certain, and not by much.

Thats wishful thinking. No pricecut or game or both has increased sales that much. The industry pretty much rejected the Wii U and thats all but written in stone. Righht now i think the best nintendo should expect is 50mil and thats reaching. I think thats the least Sony should be expecting right now.

your statement would sound a lot less ridiculous if the exact oposite hadn't happened with the 3ds. 

"No pricecut or game or both has increased sales that much" : pricecut + mario 3d land and MK7 = huge 3ds sales.

"The industry pretty much rejected the Wii U and thats all but written in stone" : saying the industry rejected (past form, as in no possible recovery) a system that's not even a year old, especially when the only reason of low sales is lack of software.

If you mean win the gen as in sells then yes, easily.

I don't think the ps4 will out sell the Xbox in America.
But it will be very close.. Xbox has def lost a good chunk of American customers.

PS4 should dominate easily in Europe as it will be available in more areas at launch.

Me personally I'm going with a PS4 at launch and then see the reception the Xbox gets.

Lawlight said:
ironmanDX said:
Wow, this sounds like 2005!

Where people were saying that the PS3 would win? They were right.

Yeah, barely reaching second place and losing a shit ton of money is considered winning.

It's waaay too early to tell, but it's more than likely going to have the biggest launch of the next gen 3.

Around the Network

Not necessarily. The PS4 has a lot of momemtum going for it right now, but the xbox one's 180 made it relevant again and they have a stronger launch line-up. It's a wait-and-see kind of deal.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

@OP - yup! Sony's going to win, and Nintendo's going to likely go to portable gaming only, questionable about MS's response to it all.

But Sony will dominate the console market and box out the competition, making all the developers want to come only to them, allowing Sony to raise the price of their games and ultimately their consoles. The unfortunate side-effect, like Nintendo back in the late 80s/early 90s. Costs will be high and the market will get saturated with games, and players will have to pick and choose, causing some games to not sell well. The end result there will be the closing of all but the biggest studios, who will sit on their laurels and release sequel after sequel of the same rehashed series.

At the end of fighting the console war, the gamer will realize they're the only ones who lose.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

It does seem that way as of now.

I do hope MS at least can give them some competition.

I sense the same arrogance in the Sony crowd as I saw in 2006, the long hibernation is over!

Yes. PS4 will probably outsell the XBOne world wide - It always has. I think that it will be much closer than most people think. M$ can't let the Xbox fail, as it is an integral part of their new generation of integrated products. If Xbox fails, the Win Phone fails, and then Windows fails - they are all integrated. They will drop the price a $100 next year if they need to to make sure that the XBOne gets into people living rooms. The common misconception for the gaming fanatics is to believe the stuff talked about in these forums as the opinions of the general public. Everyone knows that both systems will sell out the first 3- 6 months as the fanboys gobble them up. The difference, is that during that time, M$'s marketing machine will be digging for the real gold, the casual market. The PS4 doesn't have anything different for the casual gamer than the PS3. So, why would the average consumer pay $400 for that? If they want a Sony product, they will get the PS3. I know that most of the core gamers here could give a rats ass for the Kinect 2.0 and the HDMI pass through, but thats where the gold is. Of course, M$ has a big hurdle to get over with their price, but if they decide to be competitive, they will be. We will see where things are in Feb of 2015 to get a lot better feel of how this gen will play out.