By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So PS4 Is Basically Going To Win This Gen, Right?

it's a safe bet it will

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
MohammadBadir said:
the-pi-guy said:
MohammadBadir said:
Lawlight said:

Thinking that the PS3 won't finish first... lol. Dude, come on - be serious for a bit

i am serious dude. think about it. the generation is practically over. how is Sony supposed to sell 20 million consoles? especially since the successor is right around the corner. unless a PS2-PS3 co-existence situation happens, where the PS3 kicks the PS4's ass for a while.

PS2 sold about 50 million consoles after the PS3 launched.  PS3 is still at a very high price point 199$ now, compare that to PS2 at 99$.  There is still a lot of room for PS3 to reduce price and sell more.  PS3 may not even have to outsell PS4, 20 million in a few years is not a ridiculous notion.  

people bought the PS2 over the PS3 because Sony made the PS3 so unatrractive (dat 600$ pricepoint). how attractive do you think the PS4 look like right now compared to the PS3 back then?

Still very attractive, especially considering that there are still a few more games coming out for it and that the PS4 can't play PS3 games.  Another 50 million in a few years is probably a ridiculous idea, but 20 million?  It's very reasonable.  
It's pretty consistently selling 100k every week without being a holiday and no game releases.  Holidays are when a lot of the systems are going to be sold.  So consider even 7 million this year.   5 million next, 4 million next(price cut), 3 million.  Those are probably low estimates. It's not unreasonable to assume it'd make 20 million.

we shall see then. wanna bet or something?

This is a classic biblic DAVID scenario, Sony was once proud and arrogant, they fell from grace pretty hard.
Then they learned, became humble and good, now they will harvest the fruits of it.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

yeh

edit: lol

Soundwave said:

I mean is there any way for Sony to screw this up?

They have the best chipset of the three and the most reasonably priced one since both Nintendo and MS got hung up on including expensive control devices in their boxes.

They are a full $100 cheaper than MS. Their system is easy to develop for. Third parties reportedly love it, so it will get a ton of devleoper support and perhaps have the best multi-plats.

Sony's embraced indie gaming as well and is even scooping up some of the more promising ones as exclusive. Their 1st/2nd party studios have gotten stronger over the years.

Nintendo doesn't have a Wiimote type craze to disrupt this console cycle either, and Sony isn't anchored to a $599.99 price point this time around either. Stripped of casuals, it looks like Nintendo is headed back to GameCube (worst case) or N64 (better case) levels. Which leaves MS.

Their launch lineup is a tad weak I think, but will be offset quickly by having so much developer support. Is there any way the PS4 doesn't win this gen worldwide? I mean sure, MS will probably give them all they can handle in the US, but globally ... looks like they have this gen on cruise control.

The only way I could see Sony losing to MS is a perfect storm:

1) Sony fails to keep supplying a steady flow of great exclusives like they used to. (Unlikely)

2) MS releases more great exclusives than they every have before.  (To be seen)

3) MS succesfully makes online gaming much smoother on Xbox One to the point that it becomes noticable in most third party games.  (Unlikely)

4) Kinect gets a decent amount of casual recognition to make it a successful inclusion with the console. (To be seen)

If the above happened then I would guess they would still sell close to the same like this gen since MS is failing to release the One in enough regions and it costs more.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
LiquorandGunFun said:
its a bit early since neither has come out yet, did you read one of nostradamis quatrains? we will have a better idea 2 years from now to see if sony can keep momentum going or if there will be a shift, who knows at this point. i know i want both xbo and ps4.

nintendo isnt a consideration until its a reasonable price. sorry fanboys.

Yeah, having the cheapest console and free online is way too expensive and unreasonable.

Cheapest console with BY FAR the weakest hardware, and free online with BY FAR the worst structure and least features

Zero999 said:
Soundwave said:
gum said:
Soundwave you make a lot of baseless claims: what are the proofs exactly that games like Wii Sports or Wii Fit won't sell well? What are the proof that casual gamers won't buy any new consoles when the right games will be released? I don't see any. It's like people assuming handhelds and 3DS especially were dead because of smartphone and that didn't happen. Now games like AC or Tomodatchi for example even sell really well to the casual gamers that the same people assumed will never buy such a device anymore. So there is really nothing to back up your assertions.

I still think WiiU will dominate next gen: Nintendo has sold 100 millions consoles with very little support for hardcore games from third parties and there is no reason for this to happen agian this time. Even if WS and WF don't sell as well as the previous iterrations of these series this is a huge difference. The WiiU line up this fall is also by far the best one of all three console and 2014 is also at least as impressive.

The fact that Brain Training 3DS, Nintendogs + cats, Nintendo Land, Game & Wario have had a tiny fraction of the success of Wii/DS blue ocean games does not bode well for Wii Sports/Fit.

3DS has taken a massive hit from the smartphone/tablet business, the Vita has been practically rendered moot entirely, the gaming handheld business has shrunk tremendously. Depsite Nintendo throwing a $80 price reduction and every Mario game + Animal Crossing + some decent third party support + a model revision, the 3DS is behind the DS and GBA in sales at equivalent points in its lifespan and it's a gap that grows larger every month, not smaller.

The Wii U is nothing like the Wii anyway -- it doesn't have a controller that's making people go crazy over it, and without that it's just a GameCube successor that's very late to the HD generation. 

It's not a serious threat to Sony just yet, unless Nintendo starts taking risks with new types of software. They don't need sequels to Wii Sports/Fit they need the *next* Wii Sports, unfortunately Angry Birds and Plants Vs. Zombies and things like that are the actual successors to the casual gaming fads.

ps4 doesn't have a controller that's making people go crazy for either, the rest of the bolded is plain trolling.

Unlike the WiiU, PS4's main selling feature isnt its controller.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Common thinking back in 2006 was PS3 was sure to dominate the next generation, even with a $599 price tag, that MS would do 'okay' and that Wii would be Nintendo's last system as it was doomed for failure.

In hindsight clearly that was way off base, but at the time all the analysts and 'experts' and fanboys predicted it.

From a short-sighted viewpoint, PS4 has this one in the bag, but it's not about launch price or launch line-ups.

Having Kinect on every XB1 will allow for gameplay that while possible (with Move) won't be supported on PS4. Currently that's limited to some voice commands but as the generation goes we might see some amazing uses of Kinect with subtle face or finger recognition affecting gameplay in major 'core' games and sports titles. If it's compelling (ie: fun) it'll make the XB1 version the definitive version for these games. That's a game changer.

Nintendo's early launch may have been wasted on one hand, but on the other, it gives them a chance to ditch the misguided WiiU quickly and launch another system within this gen. If they go back to their 'blue ocean' strategy they can come back with both a system on par with PS4/XB1 (or a little better) and gameplay mechanics that they can't match - along with mass market accessibility (like Wii) for a reasonable price. Despite a late launch, if it has both Wii's mass appeal and ease of porting all games it'll be a must have system for all and will be able to overtake the lead of PS4/XB1 (similar to Wii overtaking 360's year lead)

The other factor here is the growth of mobile gaming and now Android/iOS home systems. This cannot be ignored as this market already dwarfs the handheld market and is probably close to par with home consoles if not bigger - and growing. While they can't match the graphics and processing power of PS4 at the start of the gen, they will certainly have surpassed it by the end of the gen. While it's split up among so many players it's hard to gauge, but if someone (probably Google/Apple themselves) gets it 'right' and becomes the go to system for home Android/iOS games, it could also beat out PS4 by the end of the gen. Or even if no one system does it, mobile/home based Android/iOS system might erode the console market away making PS4 the winner of a lost cause.

MohammadBadir said:
LiquorandGunFun said:
MohammadBadir said:
LiquorandGunFun said:
its a bit early since neither has come out yet, did you read one of nostradamis quatrains? we will have a better idea 2 years from now to see if sony can keep momentum going or if there will be a shift, who knows at this point. i know i want both xbo and ps4.

nintendo isnt a consideration until its a reasonable price. sorry fanboys.

Yeah, having the cheapest console and free online is way too expensive and unreasonable.

True, but its a console with a real account system. :)

Iwata confirmed that the WiiU and 3DS will receive a true account system in the future, and that "future" is likely around september

its about time! welcome to 2006! and thats where the wiiu sits in my personal opinion. and that is not worth anything over $200 free online for no multiplatforms that i would play online to begin with. and 64 player maps wouldnt work well on a wiiu. plus my whopping $5 a month has already given me a shitload of games and continues to pay for itself with more to offer in the future. 

wiiu will be in the collection when its reasonable to buy a console for just nintendo games that makes it worth purchasing at all. hell if nintendo wanted $5 a month and gave me a free game every month i would be very open to that, but at this point? they would run out of games in the first year unless they included old titles.

So the PS3 basically lost last gen, right?  Who cares, it didn't stop me from enjoying mine.  Why are people so worried about who wins?!?  Buy all the systems and be a real gamer!

Stop hating and start playing.