By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS4 preorders trending about 4:1 ahead of One in NA" - famousmortimer (rumour)

seems a little hard to believe... 360 dominates the PS3 in NA so I'm not too sure...

Around the Network
sniper989 said:
seems a little hard to believe... 360 dominates the PS3 in NA so I'm not too sure...

The 360 dominated the PS3 in NA but did the Xbox dominate the PS2?

sniper989 said:

America doesn't have much brand loyalty when it moves from generation to generation. The NES and SNES dominated first, then the PS1 and 2, then the 360. I don't think people in the US will have a problem switching from the 360 to the PS4. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

tuscaniman99 said:
@DialgaMarine
I'm 32 and started gaming on the Atari 2600. I remember Playstation dominance and there were many reasons why this was so. Third party exclusives, media, etc. Sony doesn't have these advantages over Microsoft. There is a 0% chance of PS4 dominating the Xbox One in America. A tie is the best they can hope for. I'm talking lifetime sales.

So how exactly did the PS1 and PS2 dominate the US market? Last time I checked, PS2 sold more consoles in the US than the combined WW sales of both the XB and the GC. M$ only gained the US market with the 360 because of a years headstart, cheaper price, and heavy support from big third parties due to larger install base because of the first 2 reasons. M$ no longer has these advantages this time around. In your opinion, what did M$ do that automatically guarantees they will continue to dominate the US market. 

No offence, but what I'm getting from your comment is that you're arguing against these supposed preorder figures because they're not in favor of your console of choice and you just can't accept it, so I will leave you with this: If M$ is so confident in their system and preorders in their strongest market have been reflecting that, why is it that they've felt to make such drastic changes to their console and pretty doom it as a result? For such a fantastic and great console, the afor asked question makes no sense.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
tuscaniman99 said:
@DialgaMarine
I'm 32 and started gaming on the Atari 2600. I remember Playstation dominance and there were many reasons why this was so. Third party exclusives, media, etc. Sony doesn't have these advantages over Microsoft. There is a 0% chance of PS4 dominating the Xbox One in America. A tie is the best they can hope for. I'm talking lifetime sales.

So how exactly did the PS1 and PS2 dominate the US market? Last time I checked, PS2 sold more consoles in the US than the combined WW sales of both the XB and the GC. M$ only gained the US market with the 360 because of a years headstart, cheaper price, and heavy support from big third parties due to larger install base because of the first 2 reasons. M$ no longer has these advantages this time around. In your opinion, what did M$ do that automatically guarantees they will continue to dominate the US market. 

No offence, but what I'm getting from your comment is that you're arguing against these supposed preorder figures because they're not in favor of your console of choice and you just can't accept it, so I will leave you with this: If M$ is so confident in their system and preorders in their strongest market have been reflecting that, why is it that they've felt to make such drastic changes to their console and pretty doom it as a result? For such a fantastic and great console, the afor asked question makes no sense.

Yep, the PS3 and 360 sales combined have already suprassed the PS2's lifetime sales. We know where that extra 50 million in userbase amounts went off to now. I've been saying it for years and now its finally clear where they went (especially in America).

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
sniper989 said:

They will have little to no correlation. PS2 dominated the Xbox in NA. Look how the 360 vs PS3 turned out. 

yeah but this time people have a reason not to leave Xbox, their gamerscore, gold subscription & online id

The comparisons of PS3/360 NA market share vs now are ridiculous. Last Gen was the beginning of the HD era and broad bad gaming became mainstream for consoles. PS2 was basically not involved with online experiences and Xbox had Halo with broadband Ethernet port built in every box. Microsoft bet on broadband gaming becoming mainstream and they bet correctly. With the 360 it continued that online focus with Gears of War becoming a huge hit. Americans see Xbox Live as the place to play online games. You honestly think all of these people will switch to PS4? Once Microsoft reaches price parity with the PS4 (and they will if they need to) Xbox will once again at worst sell 1:1 with the PS4. Many people played PS3 online solely because it was free. Charging for multiplayer on Playstation isn't going to help the brand. Sony needs to prove that PSN can compete with Xbox LIVE while Microsoft doesn't need to prove anything. Believe want you want but the majority of gamers aren't going to flock to PS4 solely because they have more faith in XBL. No chance PS4 dominates in NA.

leo-j said:
sully1311 said:

I just can't believe this sorry. Still think Xbox will win in the US.

399 vs 499

and massive brand damage...

almost (almost) a flip from last gen... 599 vs 399 and massive brand damage dropped sony to #3 behind microsoft and nintendo in the U.S

You forgot a lot of things that had/has it in 3rd

@CGI-Quality
I'm not telling myself anything. I'm using common sense.

ok just came back from local eb games, this is New Zealand by the way so wont mean anything for alot of you guys but just relaying facts. The guy i know that works there said its currently over 1300 for ps4 and over 500 for xbox one, he also said before the 180 xbox one had 11 pre orders which is pretty lol. Anyway NZ was not dominated by any console although like Australia PlayStation sells more but not to the same extend as greater europe so for the ratio here to be less than 3-1, it makes it hard to believe xbox's home country could be 4-1 unless stock is really limited like you guys said. But when i ask he said both were really limited and told me to tell friends to get in quick for each but took it as sale dribble. Someone in the us whos friends with an employee should go in and ask?