By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS4 preorders trending about 4:1 ahead of One in NA" - famousmortimer (rumour)

Max King of the Wild said:
Subie_Greg said:

I never said Microsoft wouldn't be fine. But as the guy above said the Xbox One is entirely made for the NA market. They spent the $$$ for Shooter DLC and the NFL and sports whatnot. Microsoft expectations for the Xbox One in NA is high. If it doesn't win NA it's a failure by Microsofts expectations 

Yup, $400,000,000 for that NFL deal. And by their own admission they want to sell 1,000,000,000 consoles. They wouldn't make statements like that if they were content in 2nd or 3rd

Microsoft wants the COD, Madden, Fifa gamers. These are the gamers who buy the most units of third party games. They want to give the edge to themselves so they'll invest into it.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

I'd imagine though, even if it does win NA, but only loses money, then MS may consider it a failure and a success based on their expecations.  It could be considered a failure because they didn't make money, but it could be considered a success because it means they have a high market penetration and the successor might be profitable.  Whether the successor does or not, might be considered relevant.  

Like I said though, it depends what you consider a failure.  Not saying you're wrong in any way.

Certainly didn't mean to come off rude. Not my intention if I did

I just assume Xbox One will make a profit for Microsoft. But their expectations is to win North America based on how the Xbox One currently is. 

Not saying your wrong or trying to bait you. 

the-pi-guy said:
Subie_Greg said:
I'll say this.

If Xbox One doesn't win North America, it's a absolute 100% failure.

North America is really the only place the 360 does well. Not that Microsoft has tried, but they haven't been able to sell their consoles in Europe and Asia like Sony has.

Why was the Xbox One supposed to do so well and beat the competition anyway when the Xbox and Xbox 360 didn't?

It depends what you think a failure is.  

MS doesn't necessarily want 100% marketshare, they want to make a ton of money.  The Xbox One doesn't need to win to make money.  If MS makes money, then Xbox One is a success in their book.  I wouldn't be surprised if MS made another one even if they lost a few billion.  Which I'd be surprised if that ever happened.   Microsoft will be fine, pretty much no matter what happens.  And as long as they think there's money to be made in gaming, they'll keep making new systems or at the very least games.  

Well, I've always used the companies expectations to determine failures. Considering the X1 was completely geared towards the NA audience I cant see how MS didn't expect to take NA and by a decent margin at that. The system will be a failure at launch and MS will need to revise their expectations like Sony had to with the ps3

Crystal ball gazing? LoL

TheSting said:

Crystal ball gazing? LoL

Nope. Common sense. Companies dont abandon their whole business stragety if they were expecting it to perform to expectations. Companies dont spend 1 billion dollars on games and 400million on NFL deal to sell as much or less than the competition.

tuscaniman99 said:
The comparisons of PS3/360 NA market share vs now are ridiculous. Last Gen was the beginning of the HD era and broad bad gaming became mainstream for consoles. PS2 was basically not involved with online experiences and Xbox had Halo with broadband Ethernet port built in every box. Microsoft bet on broadband gaming becoming mainstream and they bet correctly. With the 360 it continued that online focus with Gears of War becoming a huge hit. Americans see Xbox Live as the place to play online games. You honestly think all of these people will switch to PS4? Once Microsoft reaches price parity with the PS4 (and they will if they need to) Xbox will once again at worst sell 1:1 with the PS4. Many people played PS3 online solely because it was free. Charging for multiplayer on Playstation isn't going to help the brand. Sony needs to prove that PSN can compete with Xbox LIVE while Microsoft doesn't need to prove anything. Believe want you want but the majority of gamers aren't going to flock to PS4 solely because they have more faith in XBL. No chance PS4 dominates in NA.

The same people that you're refferring to are the same one's that actually look into what console interests them, hence why they chose 360 this past gen in the first place. A game like Gears of War doesn't exactly have as much staying power as you seem to believe if Gears 3 got beat out by it's PS3 counterpart Uncharted 3, while Judgment got beat out by GoW:A and brutally slain by TLoU. You talk as if only Xbox One will have the games that appeal to the American gamer masses, and there's no hope for Sony ruling the American market this time around. The way I see it, if Sony can deliver the heavy hitting AAA exclusives, while at the same proving that PSN is just as strong of an online ecosystem as XBL, then there's no reason why Sony can't dominate the market like they did with PS2. 

On a side note, there's no reason why Gears couldn't potentially make it's way onto the PS4. If that happens, then, by your own logic, XBone is definitely f*cked in the US. ;)

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

@DialgaMarine
Uncharted 3 was bundled.

@CGI-Quality
Not pointless when the Uncharted 3 bundle was $269 (or around that price) and the Gears 3 bundle was a limited edition $399.99 bundle. Not quite the same.

I don't think the ratio is 4:1 in favour of ps4 at all. I will be surprised if ps4 sells 2:1 more than x1. X1 won't really start selling until the next Halo arrives. When this happens it will start selling more than ps4 in USA easily imo.

TheSting said:

Crystal ball gazing? LoL

Nope. Common sense. Companies dont abandon their whole business stragety if they were expecting it to perform to expectations. Companies dont spend 1 billion dollars on games and 400million on NFL deal to sell as much or less than the competition.

No it's not common sense unless you can tell the future. Which you can't. You can gaze into that Crystal ball again tho.

TheSting said:
TheSting said:

Crystal ball gazing? LoL

No it's not common sense unless you can tell the future. Which you can't. You can gaze into that Crystal ball again tho.

Its not common sense to not completely abandon something you spent tons of money and time and everyone elses time on?

Can I please have your car, house and other valuables please?