By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS4 preorders trending about 4:1 ahead of One in NA" - famousmortimer (rumour)

tuscaniman99 said:
@DialgaMarine
I'm 32 and started gaming on the Atari 2600. I remember Playstation dominance and there were many reasons why this was so. Third party exclusives, media, etc. Sony doesn't have these advantages over Microsoft. There is a 0% chance of PS4 dominating the Xbox One in America. A tie is the best they can hope for. I'm talking lifetime sales.

I'm 33, so we lived through pretty much the same thing. If you remember correctly, the reason the first Xbox got a foot hold in the US is because of Halo 2 and XBL. XBL was a revolution at the time, and American's ate it up. This is pretty much why the 360 blew up like it did. There simply wasn't anything like it, even after the PS3 came out. But that advantage has slowly been eroded.

The fact is, MS decided to shift towards families and casuals. Back in the day, the first Xbox was for die hard gamers. I'd say it was the hard cores console of choice. More power, amazing online gameplay, it KILLED the PS2. But those days are over. The Xbox brand has now pretty much become a casual console that can also play a few core games, and casuals are pretty much gone. The hard core, over the last few years, have slowly shifted over the Sony thanks to Sony's brilliant marketing. While they DID launch the Move, they did it in an almost "oh, by the way, we also have this thing called motion controls, IF you want them". That was a genius move because it allowed them to stand alone. While MS was focusing on avatars, kinect and turing their E3's into Lets Dance demos, Sony was using Kevin Butler in ads saying "long live game". They did to MS what they did to Nintendo in the 90's. They used MS's blunder to their advantage, which is what they're best at.

This is why PS4 is going to win the US imo. Sony gambled by not going all in with casual gaming, and won.

Around the Network
tuscaniman99 said:
@CGI-Quality
I'm not telling myself anything. I'm using common sense.

Common sense is just a way of making your opinion sound correct.

@JoeTheBro
My opinion is correct. PS4 will not dominate the Xbox One in America. Quote me on this. Check back in 3-4 years when the consoles have been out for a bit.

tuscaniman99 said:
@JoeTheBro
My opinion is correct. PS4 will not dominate the Xbox One in America. Quote me on this. Check back in 3-4 years when the consoles have been out for a bit.

Dude. It's not even that I disagree with the prediction, I disagree with how haughty you are about it.

tuscaniman99 said:
The comparisons of PS3/360 NA market share vs now are ridiculous. Last Gen was the beginning of the HD era and broad bad gaming became mainstream for consoles. PS2 was basically not involved with online experiences and Xbox had Halo with broadband Ethernet port built in every box. Microsoft bet on broadband gaming becoming mainstream and they bet correctly. With the 360 it continued that online focus with Gears of War becoming a huge hit. Americans see Xbox Live as the place to play online games. You honestly think all of these people will switch to PS4? Once Microsoft reaches price parity with the PS4 (and they will if they need to) Xbox will once again at worst sell 1:1 with the PS4. Many people played PS3 online solely because it was free. Charging for multiplayer on Playstation isn't going to help the brand. Sony needs to prove that PSN can compete with Xbox LIVE while Microsoft doesn't need to prove anything. Believe want you want but the majority of gamers aren't going to flock to PS4 solely because they have more faith in XBL. No chance PS4 dominates in NA.

They don't have to dominate Microsoft in America, all they have to do is tie with them to beat them well enough. That means Sony took back a lot of gamers that MS carved off of the marketshare they expanded from 2001. If Sony was to hypothetically beat Sony MS, no question its all over. Sony will most likely reach 100 million consoles if that happens. 

Around the Network

I'll say this.

If Xbox One doesn't win North America, it's a absolute 100% failure.

North America is really the only place the 360 does well. Not that Microsoft has tried, but they haven't been able to sell their consoles in Europe and Asia like Sony has.

Why was the Xbox One supposed to do so well and beat the competition anyway when the Xbox and Xbox 360 didn't?

the-pi-guy said:
Subie_Greg said:
I'll say this.

North America is really the only place the 360 does well. Not that Microsoft has tried, but they haven't been able to sell their consoles in Europe and Asia like Sony has.

Why was the Xbox One supposed to do so well and beat the competition anyway when the Xbox and Xbox 360 didn't?

It depends what you think a failure is.  

MS doesn't necessarily want 100% marketshare, they want to make a ton of money.  The Xbox One doesn't need to win to make money.  If MS makes money, then Xbox One is a success in their book.  I wouldn't be surprised if MS made another one even if they lost a few billion.  Which I'd be surprised if that ever happened.   Microsoft will be fine, pretty much no matter what happens.  And as long as they think there's money to be made in gaming, they'll keep making new systems or at the very least games.  

Well, I've always used the companies expectations to determine failures. Considering the X1 was completely geared towards the NA audience I cant see how MS didn't expect to take NA and by a decent margin at that. The system will be a failure at launch and MS will need to revise their expectations like Sony had to with the ps3

Subie_Greg said:
I'll say this.

Microsoft will do way better than the Xbox, but I dont think they will have the success of the 360. It will probably sell double what the original Xbox sold. They've penetrated parts of western europe (namely England), but their slow start and early neglect of Europe will put Sony in a head start position. I think the Xbox will sell 50-60 million this generation.

the-pi-guy said:
Subie_Greg said:
I'll say this.

MS doesn't necessarily want 100% marketshare, they want to make a ton of money.  The Xbox One doesn't need to win to make money.  If MS makes money, then Xbox One is a success in their book.  I wouldn't be surprised if MS made another one even if they lost a few billion.  Which I'd be surprised if that ever happened.   Microsoft will be fine, pretty much no matter what happens.  And as long as they think there's money to be made in gaming, they'll keep making new systems or at the very least games.  

I never said Microsoft wouldn't be fine. But as the guy above said the Xbox One is entirely made for the NA market. They spent the $$$ for Shooter DLC and the NFL and sports whatnot. Microsoft expectations for the Xbox One in NA is high. If it doesn't win NA it's a failure by Microsofts expectations 

Subie_Greg said:
the-pi-guy said:
Subie_Greg said:
I'll say this.

I never said Microsoft wouldn't be fine. But as the guy above said the Xbox One is entirely made for the NA market. They spent the $$$ for Shooter DLC and the NFL and sports whatnot. Microsoft expectations for the Xbox One in NA is high. If it doesn't win NA it's a failure by Microsofts expectations 

Yup, $400,000,000 for that NFL deal. And by their own admission they want to sell 1,000,000,000 consoles. They wouldn't make statements like that if they were content in 2nd or 3rd