By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be a Nintendo fan if Mario had never existed?

Tagged games:

I have no idea.

I think the first game I ever played on a Nintendo system was Duck Hunt, but I'm not sure. Could also have been the Soccer game on NES. Going by that you could say I wouldn't have been a Nintendo fan if Mario didn't exist, since most Duck Hunts came with Super Mario Bros. on the same cartridge.

The most vivid of the earliest memories however, are of me playing A Link to Past on SNES rather than a Mario game. I'm pretty sure that was the game that made me a true Nintendo fan though, so I guess it's because of Zelda. I don't really have a lot of early memories of me really playing Mario games.

The only one I know I played a lot was Yoshi's Island on SNES, because I didn't really like Super Mario World (and I still don't). I do have some memories of the NES games, but I don't think I played them a lot. I was born in 1988, started gaming quite early (like age 4 or something), so it's natural NES memories are vague anyway because the system was already old at that time and games I played on it were older than I was. Besides, access to the SNES was more frequent, the NES was stationed at grandma's house.

I think I only became a fan of Mario since Super Mario 64, some time after the 'damage' was already done. So ignoring the fact that Mario made Nintendo what they are and the other games probably wouldn't have existed without it and the Duck Hunt combo cartridge story, I don't think Mario made me a Nintendo fan.

Around the Network

One thing you have to consider when taking away Mario is that Super Mario Bros. most likely had been made anyway but with another name and another character. I mean, it's not like Super Mario Bros. (and Nintendo) got big because of Mario. Mario and Nintendo got big because of the game Super Mario Bros.

I liked Mario a lot as a kid, but I also really loved Kirby games, and when I was in middle school, Pokemon. So, probably those would have done it.

I'm a huge Pokemon fan so as long as Pokemon is around I'll like Nintendo, Mario however I don't really care for besides the Mario and Luigi series.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Maybe not considering my 1st Nintendo game was Pokemon.

But then again my 2nd and 3rd games were Mario. I would've stayed for Pokemon regardless though.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Pokemon nuff said :D Only Reason I have a 3ds and will get a wii u if a pokemon rpg comes to it. As a kid I only played crash and spyro and other ps1 platformers, but I also had a gba and played gold then fire red then emerald and ever since iv'e played the next gen pokemon games. I bought a pokemon xd gamecube just for pokemon. So I love nintendo but for pokemon. Hell I bought a wii specifically for pokemon battle revolution.

I got an NES when I was 6 in 1985 and it was mostly because I played SMB and Duck Hunt at a friends house and loved it. So, to answer the question? Idk lol. Duck Hunt, at the time, was pretty mind blowing as was the system itself. I'd like to believe I would anyway but with Mario, maybe the NES never takes off enough for me to even PLAY it.

Yea cuz Pokémon

This is a difficult question, arguably without Mario the entire video game industry would not look anything like it does today. Super Mario Bros. is what made the NES popular, the NES in turn is what revitalized the video game industry - without that things likely would have unfolded very differently.

That being said yes I would still be a fan on Nintendo if, all other things being unaffected, Mario didn't exist. Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Wii Sports/Fit/Play, Advance Wars, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc. hell any one of those franchises is enough in my opinion to warrant my being a fan of Nintendo.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Without Mario, we would have Duck Hunt every generation!