By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - United States or Japan: Who's animation is better?

Who's Cartoons are better?

America 107 21.84%

Japan 368 75.10%

Other 13 2.65%

Total:488

I'm not sure if I should crush Ryan's hopes, but all those cartoons are animated in Japan... or Korea.

Around the Network

Should Korea be an option since most of the animation is actually done there?

darkknightkryta said:
I'm not sure if I should crush Ryan's hopes, but all those cartoons are animated in Japan... or Korea.

You know, after becoming used to anime, I thought there was something reminiscent of it in the animation of ThunderCats and SilverHawks (specially the openings) as well as some parts of Batman: The Animated Series. It just looked particularly good to me...

Confirming said suspicion on Wikipedia many years later put a smile on my face. I knew it !

I watch japanese animated movies, and don't really follow their series. They tend to drag and drag and drag.
I've watched DBZ when I was a teenager and thought it was cool but I prefered the manga although the first time Gohan becomes a super saïyen 2 against Cell... I prefered in the anime, among other select scenes.

Series like Evangelion were also great. But I just don't watch that many series anyway. I like when they're short like Evangelion was. Or Chronicles of Lodoss War, for example. OAVs, they're called.

Their animated movies are awesome though. 

The US gave me: Gargoyles, Batman The Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series, Justice League... But even if it only had Gargoyles, the US would win over Japan for me. =P

Yeah, I'm a DC fan, so right now, with the DC animation movies coming out regularly and getting better and better title after title, I'm being spoiled.

Superman: Unbound and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox are 2 very well animated movies with very good stories and dialogues. 

The best Anime is far better than the best American animated shows and movies, imo. That said, I much prefer the actual animation of American made films to Japanese.

Around the Network

I must specify that very few Anime can stand up to the greatness that was Batman: The Animated Series!

Trunkin said:
The best Anime is far better than the best American animated shows and movies, imo.

Depends on the taste. For me nothing beats Samurai Jack.

seiya19 said:
darkknightkryta said:

You know, after becoming used to anime, I thought there was something reminiscent of it in the animation of ThunderCats and SilverHawks (specially the openings) as well as some parts of Batman: The Animated Series. It just looked particularly good to me...

Confirming said suspicion on Wikipedia many years later put a smile on my face. I knew it !

Sunrise actually did a few of those episodes.  I actually found those episodes to have been the best animation wise.

US Animation has shifted to 3D so I dunno why we're gonna compare quality 2D animation with quality 3D animation.

Though I must say, US 2D animation pioneered so much foundation that it gave ideas and aspects for Japanese 2D animation to flourish.

Sad to say though US 2D animation is dead.

Just gonna be a nerd and dump some info for Japanese Animators I really admire. Maybe later....

Okay before I answer are you asking about animation as in which is better or shows. asking which has better shows?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23