By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One will detect heat, power down to avoid meltdown

If only the fanboys did this after the DRM reversal.....

*runs away

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network

watch and see if this doesn't cause problems were gonna hear all about it. Its gonna have faulty power downs. Lets hope not.

What does it mean by "if the user hears the fans speeding up they know their system needs some time to breathe" okie paraphrasing there but what? if you are enjoying a lot of online play and you hear the X1 starting to wheeze under your tv you have to go back to the Menu and play less intensive things like watch some NFL or play XBL games? Just thinking that if I happened to live in a hot country or just hearing that fan speeding up while getting into a game would piss me off that it was making more noise to try and stay cool, would prolly just turn up the sound system to drown it out.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Good, doubt it will be needed though.

wick said:
If only the fanboys did this after the DRM reversal.....

*runs away

LOL

They didn't need to, they reckoned they'll have a lot of spare energy in 8th gen, as during summers they'll be playing in slow-motion! 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Nyleveia said:
most amd apus have thermal protection so this goes without saying

Bing! Nailed it.
x86 CPU's (And thus by extension, APU's) have had Thermal protection mechanisms for years, thus it will be highly likely that the same functionality is going to be in the Playstation 4 too as it's implemented at the silicon level on pretty much every single x86 chip today.

However, it should only be in extreme cases that it should happen for any machine. For example: Fans fail or 70'C ambient temperatures due to being stuck in a cupboard and having the console full of dust. (AMD generally recommends 61'C as the thermal limit for it's CPU's as stated in it's whitepapers, although will function fine with higher than that.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Don't worry, your Xbox One won't get RRoD.  It'll just auto power off every 30 minutes so it doesn't overheat.

If the console was built properly there wouldn't need to be a safeguard function like this in the first place. 

kupomogli said:

Don't worry, your Xbox One won't get RRoD.  It'll just auto power off every 30 minutes so it doesn't overheat.

If the console was built properly there wouldn't need to be a safeguard function like this in the first place. 

Your PC probably has this, too. Mine has, I know that for sure, it's on by default in BIOS.

kupomogli said:

It's on every PC. It prevents damages due to overheating a little. Still, having your pc force shutdown twice a day because of the heat is not a good thing.

Plus, on Xbone it won't be a force shutdown, it will be an ultra lag mode.

but can it see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?!

It's just that simple.