By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One will detect heat, power down to avoid meltdown

kupomogli said:

Don't worry, your Xbox One won't get RRoD.  It'll just auto power off every 30 minutes so it doesn't overheat.

If the console was built properly there wouldn't need to be a safeguard function like this in the first place. 

Since PCs have this feature.......and PS fans LOVE to use the PC in console debates, I don't get where you are coming from.

The X1 has a giant fan and has a safeguard just in case. This means no RROD scandals. And here you go fishing to make it negative. lol is all.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

How this is news is beyond me.

Yet, ironically, Xbox1 will continue to be the number one source of meltdowns in the gaming industry 

OT: Actually a really great implementation. Hopefully, there is some kind of monitor or warning system in place to help prevent annoying shutdowns.

sales2099 said:
kupomogli said:

Don't worry, your Xbox One won't get RRoD.  It'll just auto power off every 30 minutes so it doesn't overheat.

If the console was built properly there wouldn't need to be a safeguard function like this in the first place. 

Since PCs have this feature.......and PS fans LOVE to use the PC in console debates, I don't get where you are coming from.

The X1 has a giant fan and has a safeguard just in case. This means no RROD scandals. And here you go fishing to make it negative. lol is all.

the RRoD wasn't caused by overheating, it was caused by the a bad lead based solder being used which became brittle when cooling from normal operating temps inside the 360, so this is an obvious measure to have but at the same time it doesn't rule out poor choice of materials.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Pemalite said:

Bing! Nailed it.
x86 CPU's (And thus by extension, APU's) have had Thermal protection mechanisms for years, thus it will be highly likely that the same functionality is going to be in the Playstation 4 too as it's implemented at the silicon level on pretty much every single x86 chip today.

However, it should only be in extreme cases that it should happen for any machine. For example: Fans fail or 70'C ambient temperatures due to being stuck in a cupboard and having the console full of dust. (AMD generally recommends 61'C as the thermal limit for it's CPU's as stated in it's whitepapers, although will function fine with higher than that.)

Wow, that is pretty hot.  (61° Celsius = 141.8° Fahrenheit)

I'm glad they are designing the system with these safeguards.  I know the 360 could do some things like turn off a CPU or two if not needed, but this sounds like it expands on that.

Never under estimate errors by their customers.  Especially for people like my Mom who will accidentally leave a book covering the big vent on my 360 sometimes.

Hopefully the PS4 will have something like this too.  Nobody wants their console breaking.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
Pemalite said:

Bing! Nailed it.
x86 CPU's (And thus by extension, APU's) have had Thermal protection mechanisms for years, thus it will be highly likely that the same functionality is going to be in the Playstation 4 too as it's implemented at the silicon level on pretty much every single x86 chip today.

However, it should only be in extreme cases that it should happen for any machine. For example: Fans fail or 70'C ambient temperatures due to being stuck in a cupboard and having the console full of dust. (AMD generally recommends 61'C as the thermal limit for it's CPU's as stated in it's whitepapers, although will function fine with higher than that.)

Wow, that is pretty hot.  (61° Celsius = 141.8° Fahrenheit)

I'm glad they are designing the system with these safeguards.  I know the 360 could do some things like turn off a CPU or two if not needed, but this sounds like it expands on that.

Never under estimate errors by their customers.  Especially for people like my Mom who will accidentally leave a book covering the big vent on my 360 sometimes.

Hopefully the PS4 will have something like this too.  Nobody wants their console breaking.

Lol I had way worst back in the days.... I had an old computer I built.... it was end of life.... the CPU would get to 90C=194F on a regular basis and even over..... I had to keep the ultra tower completely open and I had 2 industrial fans on each side the size of the tower to create a strong air flow.... LOL

those were my uber nerds days :D

the XB1 will not have any issues with heat and will never shut down unless you rap it in a towel or put it in a very small closed TV stand.... heck even the last one didn't over heat the component.... nothing in the core hardware ever failed due to heat.... the soldering work was shit and the component got displaced.... so unless they fuck the soldering again I have no worries that the XB will be quiet and run smooth 100% of the time under normal use (yeah if you are in the middle of the jungle on a really scoarching hot day with 95% humidity it might have issues, and even then I could take the bet because when you see under how much constrain they put the surface tablet in their lab, I'm sure they pushed the One far enough to handle that too)

So it will have a fail safe mode.

Something that should be standard by now I'd think.

Well, at least they've learned some very real lessons from RROD.
- much larger casing/room to vent heat
- much better design/raw components for this type of box
- much better approach to keeping it from actually breaking (this fail safe mode)

I seriously doubt Xbone will have to 30%+ failure rate original X360 had.

superchunk said:

- much better approach to keeping it from actually breaking (this fail safe mode)

once again on board components didn't fail on 360 and certainly didn't fail because of heat... the heat was desoldering them from the board....  and they corrected that on 360 already.... so unless they decide for some obscure reasons to go back to the old soldering method.... there is no worries to have, they've always done an excellent work at venting the components.... the issue wasn't there

endimion said:

the XB1 will not have any issues with heat and will never shut down unless you rap it in a towel or put it in a very small closed TV stand.... heck even the last one didn't over heat the component.... nothing in the core hardware ever failed due to heat.... the soldering work was shit and the component got displaced.... so unless they fuck the soldering again I have no worries that the XB will be quiet and run smooth 100% of the time under normal use (yeah if you are in the middle of the jungle on a really scoarching hot day with 95% humidity it might have issues, and even then I could take the bet because when you see under how much constrain they put the surface tablet in their lab, I'm sure they pushed the One far enough to handle that too)

humidity is something that effects our percieved heat because it stops us being able to perspire due to water in the air. No computer components should be affected by this unless they have skin which sweats. As for the first model of the X1 coming out of the box and running quiet all the time, doubtful, would need to make some amount of noise for the later remodel in a few years which will have quieter fans :D can't sell slim models of stuff if you design it perfect first time.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

endimion said:
superchunk said:

once again on board components didn't fail on 360 and certainly didn't fail because of heat... the heat was desoldering them from the board....  and they corrected that on 360 already.... so unless they decide for some obscure reasons to go back to the old soldering method.... there is no worries to have, they've always done an excellent work at venting the components.... the issue wasn't there

So it took them multiple years and had to wait for the size of the chip fabrication move to a smaller nm all because the soldering was wrong? Seems like if you are in any form correct, that would have been fixed in manufacturing very early on.

I mean first redesign had smaller nm and it went from 30%+ defect rate to a more normalized level and then another redesign to make it near perfect. However both accompanied smaller fab processes which focus on reduction in overall heat as well as power usage (and of course per item costs).

Fact is, it failed A LOT all due to poor design and this time around the impression is that everything is being done to ensure there is no repeating those mistakes.