By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One will detect heat, power down to avoid meltdown

kupomogli said:

Don't worry, your Xbox One won't get RRoD.  It'll just auto power off every 30 minutes so it doesn't overheat.

If the console was built properly there wouldn't need to be a safeguard function like this in the first place. 

The Xbone is likely built just fine, nothing wrong with extra safety if it costs you barley anything.

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:
endimion said:

the XB1 will not have any issues with heat and will never shut down unless you rap it in a towel or put it in a very small closed TV stand.... heck even the last one didn't over heat the component.... nothing in the core hardware ever failed due to heat.... the soldering work was shit and the component got displaced.... so unless they fuck the soldering again I have no worries that the XB will be quiet and run smooth 100% of the time under normal use (yeah if you are in the middle of the jungle on a really scoarching hot day with 95% humidity it might have issues, and even then I could take the bet because when you see under how much constrain they put the surface tablet in their lab, I'm sure they pushed the One far enough to handle that too)

humidity is something that effects our percieved heat because it stops us being able to perspire due to water in the air. No computer components should be affected by this unless they have skin which sweats. As for the first model of the X1 coming out of the box and running quiet all the time, doubtful, would need to make some amount of noise for the later remodel in a few years which will have quieter fans :D can't sell slim models of stuff if you design it perfect first time.

agreed for humidity but if it gets high enough you can have condensation issues which is not really good for your electronics.... but that goes for everything you would have in your household.... that's more what I meant with air humidity....

and it will be quieter than the first XB that's what I meant we should almost never see that huge fan go 100% rpm.... like it's said in the article if does you should check if there isn't something covering up the vent openings because it shouldn't be ramping up.... of course you will have noise.... you always do with fans.... but I think it should be one of the impressive point of the XB1 this time around.... we'll see...

superchunk said:
endimion said:
superchunk said:
So it will have a fail safe mode.

Something that should be standard by now I'd think.

Well, at least they've learned some very real lessons from RROD.
- much larger casing/room to vent heat
- much better design/raw components for this type of box
- much better approach to keeping it from actually breaking (this fail safe mode)

I seriously doubt Xbone will have to 30%+ failure rate original X360 had.

once again on board components didn't fail on 360 and certainly didn't fail because of heat... the heat was desoldering them from the board....  and they corrected that on 360 already.... so unless they decide for some obscure reasons to go back to the old soldering method.... there is no worries to have, they've always done an excellent work at venting the components.... the issue wasn't there

So it took them multiple years and had to wait for the size of the chip fabrication move to a smaller nm all because the soldering was wrong? Seems like if you are in any form correct, that would have been fixed in manufacturing very early on.

I mean first redesign had smaller nm and it went from 30%+ defect rate to a more normalized level and then another redesign to make it near perfect. However both accompanied smaller fab processes which focus on reduction in overall heat as well as power usage (and of course per item costs).

Fact is, it failed A LOT all due to poor design and this time around the impression is that everything is being done to ensure there is no repeating those mistakes.

at least every report and news and anything remotely official or unofficial back then were pointing at that issue being the reason for failure.... and that is why it was easily fixable at home with the right tools...  now I'm no psychic ....  heat was responsible but not by destroying the chips... of course you had some failures probably there too.... I never had a RRoD personally, but I did buy a RRoD fix kit once my warranty ran out and fixed several of my friends that were out of warranty.... haven't seen a single one burn out.... heat was either warping the board which in turn made the soldering give way or directly the heat was affecting those soldering....

but the chip was fine.... that's the main reason the towel trick came up... it basically heated up the soldering and would in some cases get things back to normal....

like you said it was a major design flaw but not a chip flaw.... so yeah smaller chips=less heat= less warping=less constraints on the soldering... and I don't know  where you have seen it took 3 years to fix it... the major issue for it lasting long was inventory in stores that had to be sold....

but who cares lets put the issue to rest and make it a bad memory nothing more.... lets talk about the future and how cool (literally) and quiet the Bone will be :)

superchunk said:
endimion said:
superchunk said:
So it will have a fail safe mode.

Something that should be standard by now I'd think.

Well, at least they've learned some very real lessons from RROD.
- much larger casing/room to vent heat
- much better design/raw components for this type of box
- much better approach to keeping it from actually breaking (this fail safe mode)

I seriously doubt Xbone will have to 30%+ failure rate original X360 had.

once again on board components didn't fail on 360 and certainly didn't fail because of heat... the heat was desoldering them from the board....  and they corrected that on 360 already.... so unless they decide for some obscure reasons to go back to the old soldering method.... there is no worries to have, they've always done an excellent work at venting the components.... the issue wasn't there

So it took them multiple years and had to wait for the size of the chip fabrication move to a smaller nm all because the soldering was wrong? Seems like if you are in any form correct, that would have been fixed in manufacturing very early on.

I mean first redesign had smaller nm and it went from 30%+ defect rate to a more normalized level and then another redesign to make it near perfect. However both accompanied smaller fab processes which focus on reduction in overall heat as well as power usage (and of course per item costs).

Fact is, it failed A LOT all due to poor design and this time around the impression is that everything is being done to ensure there is no repeating those mistakes.

The guy is right, the solder was the main culprit.
Usually when you solder something onto a PCB you use a Lead-based-solder which has a fairly high melting point and doesn't get metal fatigue.
However, the Xbox 360 used a type of lead-free solder, which would crack thus causing failures.

A direct cause of the problem was heat, you lower the heat either by making the processors on a smaller fabrication process or throw in better cooling, both of which would help prevent the lead-free solder from cracking.

This is why the "towl" trick worked for allot of people as essentially it allows the console to get hot enough to cause the solder to become soft and fix the cracks itself.

So the cause is heat, the problem was the solder and it's the greenies over in Europe that pushed for that change.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--