By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It Looks like Yakuza 1&2 HD Bombed on Wii U

Nem said:
Zekkyou said:

What make bad business choices? :P

(I'm kidding of course, please don't hurt me)

I mean the customers. Japanese have a big sense of brand loyalty. The same thing happened when they tried to bring the Tales series to Nintendo systems.

I know what you meant, I just felt like making a dumb joke :P

But yes you are right; they have a much stronger sense of brand loyalty than us in the west. Another good example was Final Fantasy on the Xbox... (I think XIII-2 barely scratched 15k LT sales)

Around the Network

A late port of two already old games flops on a system with a small install base?

old port no big news here.

Save your bullets for the big games coming from Ubisoft like watch dogs and rayman. Granted they won't sell millions cause user base is small but for good games they should be able to manage at least 20%-30% attach rate to console.

Surprise

Lol at this thread. These games never had a chance to "not bomb".
Thus, they are selling just about everybody expected.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network
Nyleveia said:
my wifes playing Disney magic castle beside me right now as i type this, that shit sold like hotcakes here over the past 2 weeks, most stores stocking it were sold out for the first few days.
lots of interaction, signing in to 7spot wifi points to grab exclusive ingame items and so on, not my cup of tea but clearly a very well made game.

back to topic, not surpised, its a old port to a console on the brink of demise, anyone expecting good sales in these conditions is broken.

Really have to be careful with this.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

who would ve thought...misteries of the universe

Mr Khan said:
Nyleveia said:
my wifes playing Disney magic castle beside me right now as i type this, that shit sold like hotcakes here over the past 2 weeks, most stores stocking it were sold out for the first few days.
lots of interaction, signing in to 7spot wifi points to grab exclusive ingame items and so on, not my cup of tea but clearly a very well made game.

back to topic, not surpised, its a old port to a console on the brink of demise, anyone expecting good sales in these conditions is broken.

Really have to be careful with this.

Perhaps he means it in the Skyward Sword sense. :P

What a shocker.

Nem said:
Zekkyou said:
Nem said:
think-man said:
Yakuza is a Playstation game....Now Sega know this.

This is something the japanese do alot.

What make bad business choices? :P

(I'm kidding of course, please don't hurt me)

I mean the customers. Japanese have a big sense of brand loyalty. The same thing happened when they tried to bring the Tales series to Nintendo systems.

The bad business decision would be to not release it in the west as westerners dont have such a strong sense of brand loyalty.

I'm actually a bit surprised that Monster Hunter managed to make the transfer. But that was like grabbing the japanese by the balls. lol

It has a lot to do with the systems as it does brand.

The Tales games were initially released on the SNES but transistioned to the Playstation systems and those that had trouble in Japan after the initial game mainly had to deal with the hurdle of being released on unpopular systems (Symphonia) or questionable development (glitch filled initial Graces release). 

Had this been a different collection of Yakuza games, such as 3, 4, 5 or Dead Souls, instead of a port of the two oldest games and one that was just released the year before, it probably would have had a stronger showing. But that has been the problem Nintendo and 3rd parties have had since the Wii, they put out the easiest port they can muster and then wonder why people aren't buying the same game that can buy cheaper used or new on a different system they may or may not already have.

Monster Hunter made the transisition because they released a brand new exclusive game, then upgraded that game for a portable system that was pretty popular and only continued to grow. It doesn't matter if you add tiny extras that use the different hardware like Gamepad or motion control mini games, you have to give the gamers something that can't be found elsewhere otherwise why should they bother.