By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It Looks like Yakuza 1&2 HD Bombed on Wii U

Sega sent this out on the market to die. This had a slimmer chance of success than the port of Mass Effect 3.

Around the Network

I think anyone with common sense could instantly tell this would bomb the moment they revealed it.

NoirSon said:

Had this been a different collection of Yakuza games, such as 3, 4, 5 or Dead Souls, instead of a port of the two oldest games and one that was just released the year before, it probably would have had a stronger showing. But that has been the problem Nintendo and 3rd parties have had since the Wii, they put out the easiest port they can muster and then wonder why people aren't buying the same game that can buy cheaper used or new on a different system they may or may not already have.

Do you reckon?  I don't think it would've really made much of a difference.  Certainly I think Dead Souls would've bombed equally as badly - probably Yakuza 5 as well, since that released pretty much the same time as the HD Collection on PS3.

A 3 & 4 Collection, maybe that would've done slightly better, but I'd imagine it'd still be fumbling around the 10k mark.

swii26 said:

I love how when a port of a port does bad on Wii U it becomes headline news. I would assume that most people in Japan already own this title on PS3 or have the originals on PS2. There really is no incentive to owning this on Wii U, especially at MSRP. But at least Nintendo gamers have another game on their console.

Given how Nintendo spent a decent-sized chunk of a Japanese Nintendo Direct talking about this game; combined with the fact they put out some advertising for it (example) & it's one of the few pieces of third party support for the year, I think people's expectations were heightened.

It was never going to sell well, but we'll see just how badly it did in fact sell in about a hour, I guess.

well i would have bought it if this was localized. doesn't matter if its on the wiiu or ps360.

sega should have saved that money and localized yakuza5 instead. would have made them more money.
even if this was a lazy port i think they still have spend ~$1mio for the port ... more enough for a few translators ...

Around the Network

Sega should've spent the time and investments into bringing it to the rest of the world on PS3; it would've sold alot more.

Who wants to buy pS2 ports in 2013?

I never understood this remake.

I guess the market for shitty HD Collections is exclusively on Sony consoles. Who knew?

Moderated - Kresnik.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.