By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft committed to supporting Xbox 360 with new content, Will support the ageing platform for "years".

MonstaMack said:
Typical derailment of topics... not sure how much longer I'll post here myself. If it wasn't for NSanity posting news right away I'd be less inclined to be here for sure. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes.

Funny , sometimes I feel the same way.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sony doesn't try to differentiate themselves in Japan either. They just let 3rd parties do that for them. Sony's primary focus is creating games western audiences want.

MS could pay Japanese developers for exclusives. But the Japanese audience simply isn't worth the money to do that.

If MS paid Japanese developers to simply port games on their platforms that would otherwise be Playstation exclusives, it would still boost the sales of MS hardware in Japan. But once again, not a worthwhile endeavor.

Sonys goal for the gaming industry outside of getting back at Nintendo was to create a wider brand of games than Nintendo had the aspiration to create but by primarily focusing on the element of popular culture which was 3D movies getting over with kids. They wanted it to be taken seriously as a form of electronics and multimedia (since thats what they were good at). Nintendo was ok with being a toy company and still making good games for their product. Microsoft joined up once Sony had expanded the market and done this. In America and the west people can look over major similarities and differentiate an outside brand by the smallest of subtle differences, but in Japan if they are too similar they stick with the home brand. Japan has their own commoner vehicles and luxury cars, but you would be crazy not to see a BMW or Mercedes over there. Why? Because those are cars that are just in a class of their own.They have the Acura and the Lexus, but its just not the BMW or Mercedes. They have Starbucks and McDonalds....companies with very little competition. Apple products are also pretty popular.

Mmmmhmmm...

You say lots of words but I'm not sure what you're arguing.

My point is Sony doesn't really care about Japanese consumers. Based on the games they develop they clearly want a bigger western audience. Sony hopes and relies on 3rd parties to cater to their Japanese userbase.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sony doesn't try to differentiate themselves in Japan either. They just let 3rd parties do that for them. Sony's primary focus is creating games western audiences want.

MS could pay Japanese developers for exclusives. But the Japanese audience simply isn't worth the money to do that.

If MS paid Japanese developers to simply port games on their platforms that would otherwise be Playstation exclusives, it would still boost the sales of MS hardware in Japan. But once again, not a worthwhile endeavor.

Sonys goal for the gaming industry outside of getting back at Nintendo was to create a wider brand of games than Nintendo had the aspiration to create but by primarily focusing on the element of popular culture which was 3D movies getting over with kids. They wanted it to be taken seriously as a form of electronics and multimedia (since thats what they were good at). Nintendo was ok with being a toy company and still making good games for their product. Microsoft joined up once Sony had expanded the market and done this. In America and the west people can look over major similarities and differentiate an outside brand by the smallest of subtle differences, but in Japan if they are too similar they stick with the home brand. Japan has their own commoner vehicles and luxury cars, but you would be crazy not to see a BMW or Mercedes over there. Why? Because those are cars that are just in a class of their own.They have the Acura and the Lexus, but its just not the BMW or Mercedes. They have Starbucks and McDonalds....companies with very little competition. Apple products are also pretty popular.

Mmmmhmmm...

My point is Sony doesn't really care about Japanese consumers. Based on the games they develop they clearly want a bigger western audience. Sony hopes and relies on 3rd parties to cater to their Japanese userbase.

You said Sony doesn't try to differentiate themselves. Technically they did and I just made that point.

Sony cares about Japanese gamers and so does Square Enix. Its their home turf but the Japanese are not really reacting so hot to the products and this have everything to do with Sonys lack of Japanese first party and second party support unlike their first gen or even their second gen where they brought third parties in by the boatload. Legend of Dragoon is one of my favorite JRPG's of all time and its Sony first party. If they made another I would blow up out of sheer childhood joy. The fact is that westerners spend more money and the Japanese pay more attention to what they spend money on, but to the corporations money talks. If Sony first party started focusing on Japan again Sony would be the company to bring Japanese style games back into the forefront. They did it with the PS and PS2 and never before and after have I seen a reception to games as such, even as third party. Sony had it all back then...they need to mix it up and stop focusing 100% on the westerners.

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Mmmmhmmm...

I think he is trying to credit Sony for being Japanese.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

You said Sony doesn't try to differentiate themselves. Technically they did and I just made that point.

Sony cares about Japanese gamers and so does Square Enix. Its their home turf but the Japanese are not really reacting so hot to the products and this have everything to do with Sonys lack of Japanese first party and second party support unlike their first gen or even their second gen where they brought third parties in by the boatload. Legend of Dragoon is one of my favorite JRPG's of all time and its Sony first party. If they made another I would blow up out of sheer childhood joy. The fact is that westerners spend more money and the Japanese pay more attention to what they spend money on, but to the corporations money talks. If Sony first party started focusing on Japan again Sony would be the company to bring Japanese style games back into the forefront. They did it with the PS and PS2 and never before and after have I seen a reception to games as such, even as third party. Sony had it all back then...they need to mix it up and stop focusing 100% on the westerners.

Sony doesn't really do much to differentiate themselves. They primarily just cater to what western audiences seem to care about. Shooting guns and watching cinematics.

Westerners have shown they're tired of Japanese style games. So Sony gave up on Japan and now they bring us cinematic experiences.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Mmmmhmmm...

I think he is trying to credit Sony for being Japanese.

Well he's trying to prove Sony cares about Japanese gamers. But the lack of noteworthy 1st party games aimed at Japanese audiences makes that difficult to prove.

Recently Completed

Wonder if they would consider Halo 5 for 360 & xbone....Id imagine the answer would be "No"

NightDragon83 said:
I still would love for someone to post all the amazing "AAA" titles the PS1 and PS2 had in their 8th year on the market.

I've already done a Google search myself, and the results ain't pretty. A port of a Japanese DBZ game from 1995 is the PS1's highlight, and the PS2's highlight is a port of a 4 year old GBA game... KH Chain of Memories.

Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Yakuza 2, Silent Hill Origins, and DBZ Infinite World

It's also not about the 360 being supported so far for eight years, it's that the PSX and PS2 received continued support well after the release of the next console.  PS3 was released in 2006.  God of War 2 came out in 2007.  The PS2 was still being supported with good games in 2008 and while fewer, 2009 and even 2010. 

We'll see how many good games are published on the 360 in the next two years.  We'll also see how many good first party titles are published. 

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony doesn't really do much to differentiate themselves. They primarily just cater to what western audiences seem to care about. Shooting guns and watching cinematics.

Westerners have shown they're tired of Japanese style games. So Sony gave up on Japan and now they bring us cinematic experiences.

Sony did focus on what mattered is the point, did, which is why I alluded to the greater times of the Playstation brand. Shooters are a big thing in the west and lead to big bucks which is why Sony has invested so heavily into it. They want a piece of that pie. 

Westerners aren't tired ot Japanese style games, they just need to be dumbed down, focus less on tactics and straight forward attacking. Watch FFXV will sell very well. The best selling Japanese games right now are all western influenced. Think about it.....this isn't just a Sony problem..the biggest companies in Japan are catering to westerners as well. Thank god the devs of Dragons Dogma and Demon Souls (which Sony co created) who now changed the name to Dark Souls (since Sony owns the IP) learned to keep their games challenging.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony did focus on what mattered is the point, did, which is why I alluded to the greater times of the Playstation brand. Shooters are a big thing in the west and lead to big bucks which is why Sony has invested so heavily into it. They want a piece of that pie. 

Westerners aren't tired ot Japanese style games, they just need to be dumbed down, focus less on tactics and straight forward attacking. Watch FFXV will sell very well. The best selling Japanese games right now are all western influenced. Think about it.....this isn't just a Sony problem..the biggest companies in Japan are catering to westerners as well. Thank god the devs of Dragons Dogma and Demon Souls (which Sony co created) who now changed the name to Dark Souls (since Sony owns the IP) learned to keep their games challenging.

You have proof of this?