By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft committed to supporting Xbox 360 with new content, Will support the ageing platform for "years".

VideoGamer

Microsoft has vowed to continue supporting the Xbox 360 for "years," despite the imminent arrival of its successor, the Xbox One.

Quizzed by OXM on how much longer the platform holder will be supporting the Xbox 360, corporate VP of Microsoft Studios Phil Spencer said: "Years. Last generation was different for us, we moved pretty quickly. This time, you will see us staying committed to the Xbox 360."

He added: "I think it's a great platform. In certain areas, like trying to switch apps quickly, it shows that it was built in a different era, but in terms of the price point, the content library - I don't have the stats, but I bet it's the largest content library ever created in the history of the game space."

Spencer believes now is a great time to get into the Xbox 360, and added that you can expect more games for the system in the future.

"It's something we'll remain committed to on the content side as well as the platform itself," he concluded.

VideoGamer.com Analysis

The Xbox 360 is creeping its way towards the magical £99 price point, making it a hugely tempting platform given its wealth of games and services – something the similarly powered Wii U simply can't offer.

As an entry level console the Xbox 360 shouldn't hurt sales of Xbox One either.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_committed_to_supporting_xbox_360_with_new_content.html

Around the Network

Calling BS as well, are there any first party games announced that aren't out yet?

i'm looking forward to new forza, new fable, new halo or... maybe some new IPs on the 360.
let's see what they have, when they talk about "support".

aaaah, now i know. they mean you can call the user support. and annual sports games like fifa will release. good to know!

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Xenostar said:
Calling BS as well, are there any first party games announced that aren't out yet?

Yes.

Wright said:
Xenostar said:

Yes.

Cool what are they?

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
They've barely supported it the last few years, ignoring Kinect. Calling bollocks on this.

Why ignore Kinect? Isn't Kinect part of X360? When you launch a hardware add-on, you need to release games to support it, don't you? I think Microsoft did a wonder job to support Kinect, much better than Sonly supported Move.

The strategy of Microsoft is 1st party studios focus on Kinect games (because 3rd parties don't care Kinect) and leave the core games to 3rd parties.

Since 2010, I enjoyed more X360. When I play core games, I can play 3rd party titles. When I play games with my wife and kids, then we play  wonderful 1st party Kinect games.

In my eyes, MS is supporting X360 as always.

And now, World of Tanks comes to X360. Well, new experienece to look forward. And there are many console exclusive XBLA titles I can enjoy as well.

Xenostar said:
Wright said:
Xenostar said:

Yes.

Cool what are they?

(Lives and Deaths)

I'll believe it when I see it, they have barely given the 360 any core exclusives since 2009, why would they start now?
microsoft just doesnt support their consoles as well as Sony after a certain amount of time

sniper989 said:
I'll believe it when I see it, they have barely given the 360 any core exclusives since 2009

Man, you definitively need glasses.

This thread went downhill fast...