By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What If: Nintendo and Sony joined up, like they planned to do?

It begins in 1988 when Sony and Nintendo were working together to develop the Super Disc. The Super Disc was going to be a CD-ROM attachment that was intended to be part of Nintendo's soon to be released Super Nintendo game.

The SNES CD-Rom is an infamous addition to the SNES that ultimately never saw the light of day. It did, however, see many ups and downs and a multitude of collaborations with companies such as Sony and Philips, though nothing ended up working to the way Nintendo wanted it to, and oddly neither this nor the hope for CD based games on the Nintendo 64 were ever fulfilled.

Sony and Nintendo planned to release the PlayStation (now a household name - though not because of Nintendo). The PlayStation could play both discs and SNES cartridges. These discs were obviously more impressive than the cartridges, and were rightfully called "Super Discs". However, things went utterly wrong when Nintendo found that a deal with Sony that occurred way back in 1988 gave Sony full control on all games played on a CD for this new collaboration.
While claiming not to have abandoned Sony and the PlayStation, Nintendo went back to Philips to announce that they were also back together due to superior technology, as Nintendo gracefully put it. Nintendo at the same time explained that this new collaboration, or rather a resurrection of a previous collaboration, wouldn't effect the bond Nintendo and Sony had once Sony threatened to sue.

Well, come C.E.S. in 1991, Sony expected that Nintendo would promote the PlayStation as much as possible. That didn't turn about to be the case when Nintendo announced their exclusive devotion to Philips. In short, it made Sony extremely angry, stating that Nintendo had violated their deal, which technically they had.

Next, Sony knew they could manage on their own without the help from Nintendo, and thus announced the Sony PlayStation at TIES. The new console was described by Sony as both an education tool and a game machine. While no games were announced, they had explained that SNES cartridges would still be able to play on it. Come 1992 Nintendo confirmed that they will not work with Sony, and explained their devotion to Philips.

Only two hundred models of the first Playstation (that could play Super Nintendo game cartridges) were manufactured by Sony

In 1994, the new PlayStation X (PSX) was released that was no longer compatable with Nintendo game cartridges and only played CD-ROM based games. A smart move that soon made Playstations the best selling game console.

It seems that Nintendo and Sony not working together helped (in Sonys favor) but WHAT IF they did, and the Super Nintendo CD was made?

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Also its worth noting that the partner with Nintendo and Philips gave Philips the right to make a few games on the CD-I with nintendo characters... The outcome was 2 of the absolute worse Zelda games ever made, most (if not all) ignore the games all to together and do not include them into tbe series and there was on 'decent' mario game

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Sony wouldn't be bribing Nintendo with free Vitas to put Mario on their handhelds.

That add-on would have bombed just as badly as the Philips Cdi and Sega CD.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

They already both suck at marketing, two negatives doesn't equal good.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
They already both suck at marketing, two negatives doesn't equal good.

A negative times a negative is a positive!

Anyway, No bad idea  I will refuse to pay  for online !

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

RolStoppable said:
Then there would be one hell of a lot more people who praise Nintendo games.

The acrobatics would be fun to watch.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sony+ Nintendo= PS4 with Nintendo first party.

The game industry would probably be a very, very different place today.

The "Nintendo 64" probably instead would've been a custom Sony chip made by Ken Kutaragi with a Sony CD drive (and perhaps a cartridge slot too ala the Saturn) and Sony Imagesoft would've become a Nintendo 2nd party in effect I'm guessing for a few software titles.

The "Playstation" IMO wouldn't exist, it would've just been like the Panasonic Q, a odd collectible type of thing, but Nintendo + Sony would've carried on their relationship to the successor to the Super NES.

And Sega may still be making hardware today if that's the case.

also Naughty Dog would make games for Nintendo consoles (or nintendo/sony's console). The sega saturn wasnt a good choice.

-Shigeru Miyamoto