By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Unboxing Vid w/ Major Nelson - Headset Now Included

riderz13371 said:
Why does this console still have a power brick...Come on Microsoft. 

Seen the mainboard? No? We have found an answer.

Around the Network
Wright said:

I've never understood the reach of Major Nelson's involvement in the Xbox Division, but he sure is cool. Way too quick the unboxing, but yeah!

I think, very wisely, Microsoft decided it needed a face to the Xbox division.  Larry Hyrb was hired on to be that face.  He has a communications background, so you can put him in front of people and he knows how to communicate the product, features, etc.

Not many people have that ability.

Adinnieken said:
Wright said:

I've never understood the reach of Major Nelson's involvement in the Xbox Division, but he sure is cool. Way too quick the unboxing, but yeah!

I think, very wisely, Microsoft decided it needed a face to the Xbox division.  Larry Hyrb was hired on to be that face.  He has a communications background, so you can put him in front of people and he knows how to communicate the product, features, etc.

Not many people have that ability.

He's also a flip switcher! Not many people have that ability.

They've put a lot of ventilation air way in that thing and the fan is huge

I wonder how noisy its get after a few months of use

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Adinnieken said:
Munkeh111 said:
I'm a bit pissed off at M$ because of Halo 2 at the moment, but seriously, why would anyone believe anything that they say now? They have changed most of the things about this console. It is one thing listening to fans, but what is the point of designing the console in the first place, why not just make a poll on a website to decide the design in the first place

Anyway, I am now going to go and actually watch the video, but having a headset is a good idea as I have said before

Actually, any good company, before they ever bring a product to market does focus testing.

If you've never worked in the corporate world, you don't know or understand the power of the bean counters, the accountants and CFO.  I've worked in a company where the amount of floor space your cubicle occupied, and the cost to heat/cool that space was measured for every employee and figured into the cost of that employee.  Sometimes you have people who look too closely at the numbers. 

I think the other problem is that the Xbox One as a product, including all of its services and features, are coming together in the here and now.  I think the rumors that Microsoft was caught off-guard by Sony releasing this year were likely true.  I think Microsoft anticipate it had another year to bring everything into focus, but when Sony announced the PS4 would release this year it caught them unprepared.  That doesn't mean that they didn't have everything in the works, just that instead of 15-16 months before they had to have all their plans ironed out, they only had 3 - 4.

The reveal, for example, seemed like something better suited for CES rather than any other event.  If you compare the Xbox 360 reveal to the Xbox One reveal, they're completely different.  The style, the energy, and the information.  

I don't see how M$ were not prepared, the 360 is 8 years old! The problem hasn't just been that they haven't got their plans in order, it has been that they have completely thrown out the window. I can see how some more time might have been better for their always online strategy and yes, if they had more time maybe they would have actually communicated their ideas properly, but that is clearly their fault

I really don't think that they have any excuse for being caughty off guard by the PS4, there is no way that they could have left the Xbox One for another year given how it is currently selling.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
riderz13371 said:

No. What's wrong with the mainboard? And why doesn't Sony have this problem with the PS4?

Munkeh111 said:
I do like that on/off switch!

But change the packaging, the first thing that you should see is the console, not the other way around! Oh and nice big power brick

I was slightly confused by "the kinect is an IR blaster" part. I know that the Xbox One controls your satellite box by IR, but does this mean that the Kinect fires the commands out to your box? I was actually discussing this with a friend, does this mean that your Kinect beams out the signal and relies on it reflecting off the back wall onto your satellite box?

No, you want the heaviest component at the bottom, so when you stack them then don't crush the box. 

If you really want to see the console first, pull out the accessory box, then the console.  You can pull the accessory box out as a complete layer without unboxing everything in it.  Then unbox the accessory box.

Yeah, I'm guessing Kinect 2 emits a strong IR signal that reflects off of surfaces back into the TV or satellite/cable box. 

riderz13371 said:
walsufnir said:
riderz13371 said:

No. What's wrong with the mainboard? And why doesn't Sony have this problem with the PS4?

Two different engineering teams at two different companies with different experiences regarding console-heat, two designer-teams and philosophies on intended use. Tada, two different looking consoles. Amazing how stuff works, isn't it?

Adinnieken said:
Munkeh111 said:
I do like that on/off switch!

But change the packaging, the first thing that you should see is the console, not the other way around! Oh and nice big power brick

I was slightly confused by "the kinect is an IR blaster" part. I know that the Xbox One controls your satellite box by IR, but does this mean that the Kinect fires the commands out to your box? I was actually discussing this with a friend, does this mean that your Kinect beams out the signal and relies on it reflecting off the back wall onto your satellite box?

No, you want the heaviest component at the bottom, so when you stack them then don't crush the box. 

If you really want to see the console first, pull out the accessory box, then the console.  You can pull the accessory box out as a complete layer without unboxing everything in it.  Then unbox the accessory box.

Yeah, I'm guessing Kinect 2 emits a strong IR signal that reflects off of surfaces back into the TV or satellite/cable box. 

Why would it matter where the heaviest component was? If it was on the bottom, what would happen if you flipped the box? Would it not be on the top?

walsufnir said:
riderz13371 said:
walsufnir said:
riderz13371 said:

Two different engineering teams at two different companies with different experiences regarding console-heat, two designer-teams and philosophies on intended use. Tada, two different looking consoles. Amazing how stuff works, isn't it?

So Sony has a better engineering team?

thanks