By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

This is a funny thread. It feels like a GPU discussion thread but backwards. I thought 50% was either huge with the GPUs all along? Or nothing but it seems like everyone has changed their minds in this thread.

Also is the xbone really that memory constrained? I doubt games are using that much. It has 5GB of ram for games. I can run games that look a lot better on less with PC. And we all know PC just brute forces everything. Consoles should not need as much ram.

What I wanna know though is will the AMD gpu be like the ones for PC. The same games take more Vram on AMD vs Nvidia. Will this carry over?

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
RenCutypoison said:
walsufnir said:

Faster is not well said: more bandwidth, this is right. But whatever, every sane person would favor more ram over faster ram, especially such a big jump. 50% more ram is also a pretty large amount.

Wouldn't bandwith become more important since open world is the hype now ?

Especially with big open worlds more ram is crucial.

You don't need to see 500 m away, if textures are replaced faster, 8GB are more than enough, to me.

Plus PC gaming is not going 12 GB of RAM for a while (with SDDR4 coming), so multiplats will be optimized for 4-8 GB.

I don't think they would change as this would cause more changes in the design then only memory. Also from a marketing point of few this would show the world that MSFT is not so sure that they made the best gaming console and that they are afraid from Sony.

In games point of few I won't mind increasing the memory because I presume this will be in our favor in the future as the games on consoles will only get better. (or Devs will get lazy)

RenCutypoison said:
walsufnir said:
RenCutypoison said:
walsufnir said:

Faster is not well said: more bandwidth, this is right. But whatever, every sane person would favor more ram over faster ram, especially such a big jump. 50% more ram is also a pretty large amount.

Wouldn't bandwith become more important since open world is the hype now ?

You don't need to see 500 m away, if textures are replaced faster, 8GB are more than enough, to me.

Plus PC gaming is not going 12 GB of RAM for a while (with SDDR4 coming), so multiplats will be optimized for 4-8 GB.

PC gaming as it is now is limited because of current consoles. You will see a big increase of requirements with the release of PS4/Xbone. Also keep in mind that gaming-PCs already have a lot of memory installed.

Also this is not about opinion, it's about facts. You can do more with more ram, as easy as this. It also makes developping games easier. One of the most limiting hardware currently in consoles is ram. We would see better graphics and more open worlds even on current hardware if consoles had more ram.

walsufnir said:
RenCutypoison said:
walsufnir said:

PC gaming as it is now is limited because of current consoles. You will see a big increase of requirements with the release of PS4/Xbone. Also keep in mind that gaming-PCs already have a lot of memory installed.

Also this is not about opinion, it's about facts. You can do more with more ram, as easy as this. It also makes developping games easier. One of the most limiting hardware currently in consoles is ram. We would see better graphics and more open worlds even on current hardware if consoles had more ram.

On current hardware, we would see a boost. That said, as there is no other boost (that we know of, except the clock increase) on ONE's hardware, I don't think it will be a big boost.

Overpowering a part doesn't boost the whole machine a lot. It just unbalances.

Programming will require less optimization tough, you're totally right on that (and probably not just on that), but it seems that it makes devs lazier (did someone say Blow ?).

It's a good add, but I don't think it will really change that much.

Edit : and you're right on the gaming pc part, I'm just too used to doujin games, most are optimized to run on pentium 3 =p

Around the Network

I'll believe it when I see it

Doubtful. Why would MS play hardware wars when they could simply focus on their secondary ability as a benefit? For example "the cloud will have virtually limitless RAM".

So this will mean the Xbox 1 will have graphics very similar or better than the PS4? That would be good. So the PS4 will just be faster?
Wow, so that means MS has changed almost everything about the Xbox 1 except they haven't changed anything about the Kinect.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

RenCutypoison said:
walsufnir said:

On current hardware, we would see a boost. That said, as there is no other boost (that we know of, except the clock increase) on ONE's hardware, I don't think it will be a big boost.

Overpowering a part doesn't boost the whole machine a lot. It just unbalances.

Programming will require less optimization tough, you're totally right on that (and probably not just on that), but it seems that it makes devs lazier (did someone say Blow ?).

It's a good add, but I don't think it will really change that much.

Edit : and you're right on the gaming pc part, I'm just too used to doujin games, most are optimized to run on pentium 3 =p

You can doubt what you want, more ram is always better for a system and it will benefit on it. This is in now way overpowering because you can't have too much ram.

Yes, I read Blow and I have to say he blows. He is really a ranting-guy but if you give devs resources they will use them. Even if it's perhaps wasting resources.

What you *could* do: Because of GDDR5 being really fast you could swap certain parts of the ram forth and back so you can at least compensate less ram than a competitor. That most probably was Sony's plan right away when PS4 had only 4 GB ram and before luck kissed them ;)