By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amazing Awesome Sonic Lost World Footage! Day 1, Must Buy!

How about you two predict here...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=162757

Im not sure wat you 2 are arguing about anymore? O.ó

Around the Network
forethought14 said:
curl-6 said:
forethought14 said:

Hype can exist and not result in a sale, that's what I call questionable hype because there's a chance of it reducing. True hype is the end result of constant fluctuations in hype.

OK, and what about that? But like I said, that happened because specific conditions occured, Wii Sports happened. If Wii Sports never existed, then I can guarantee that Wii Sports Resort (if released how it was released) would not have come close to 30million. It's the only time this has happened, which is why it's an anomally that doesn't destroy the idea that sales and hype have a relationship with eachother. (like how the Laws of Physics still apply everywhere except in the black hole, the ONE exception,). 

You're talking about hype as if it's the act of buying, when it's really pre-release excitement.

I never said there wasn't a relationship in most cases, just that you can have one without the other.

Excitement = "hype" though, the definition itself.

OK, but you're making it seem like it has happened elsewhere though, or that this particular condition will occur again in the near future.

It's just one example; a lot of really high selling casual games didn't really have hype, simply because hype is a practice typically undertaken by "core" gamers. Casuals generally don't care enough or stay in touch with upcoming games enough to get hyped, they often don't even know about the game til they see it in a shop or play it at a friend's house, then buy it.

curl-6 said:

It's just one example; a lot of really high selling casual games didn't really have hype, simply because hype is a practice typically undertaken by "core" gamers. Casuals generally don't care enough or stay in touch with upcoming games enough to get hyped, they often don't even know about the game til they see it in a shop or play it at a friend's house, then buy it.

If that's the case, Wii Sports Resort did in fact have hype then, because it sold 500 thousand + in the US in its first week, and since according to you casuals don't care to enough to stay in touch with releases, those who bought it within that launch week bought it with the prior knowledge of knowing full well that it released on *insert release date*. Since that's the case, WSR isn't an anomally. 

forethought14 said:
curl-6 said:

If that's the case, Wii Sports Resort did in fact have hype then, because it sold 500 thousand + in the US in its first week, and since according to you casuals don't care to enough to stay in touch with releases, those who bought it within that launch week bought it with the prior knowledge of knowing full well that it released on *insert release date*. Since that's the case, WSR isn't an anomally. 

WSR didn't have hype because hype isn't something its audience does.

Xxain said:
Nyleveia said:
Pah, there are no good 3d sonics, 1, 2, 3 and knuckles are the only true sonic games, its been going downhill since Sonic CD

I'm going to believe that Mr. Khan banned him because of this ridiculous statement.

Actually he banned me as a result of wrongly making the assumption that my comment was "stereotyping" directly at "nintendo fans" in general rather than the few in the thread claiming that the game was "very like" sm galaxy, i guess hes being overly sensitive, or in his mind hes thinking in a stereotyping manner and then, without really thinking, applied that stereotype to my words himself.

But hey, ever heard of a moderator admitting they were wrong?, no, me neither, he will probably just ban me again rather than deal with his own problem.

Around the Network
Nyleveia said:
Xxain said:
Nyleveia said:
Pah, there are no good 3d sonics, 1, 2, 3 and knuckles are the only true sonic games, its been going downhill since Sonic CD

I'm going to believe that Mr. Khan banned him because of this ridiculous statement.

But hey, ever heard of a moderator admitting they were wrong?, no, me neither, he will probably just ban me again rather than deal with his own problem.

Funny you ask that question. I had a mod tell me he was wrong just yesterday. 

curl-6 said:

What? You're not making sense. Clearly 500,000 + people bought WSR knowing full well the release date, you wouldn't go out to buy a game at lauch as quick as possible unless you had some excitement over it (key word SOME). Excitement = hype; therefore WSR had enough hype to sell that much, though probably much of that was purchased by the people who were already fans of Wii Sports, which is likely a lot of people (that still counts as hype, even if they aren't spending countless hours on the internet talking about it like us gamers do about games). Like I said, everything has hype, it's the level of hype that'll determine how much it sells at launch. I wasn't the very hyped up person who bought it at launch (like I stated earlier), I didn't even buy WSR until late 2010 when I cared to even do it.

And plus, all this wasted time and I still don't see why you even brought up Wii Sports Resort in the first place. Sonic Lost World isn't Wii Sports Resort nor will it ever sell that well, (quite frankly, I don't think there will be another WSR-like phenomenon that'll happen anytime in the future. Even the mighty PS2's best selling game was roughly 20 million sold, 10 million short of WSR, and that's coming from a 155+million install base, over 55million more than Wii). WSR's results don't apply to SLW simply because there are no special circumstances (there is no Sonic version of the Wii Sports phenomenon) that would cause a sudden disconnection from the hype/sales relationship. So while WSR overall from its 30+million sales is sort of an anomally, Sonic Lost World is nothing out of the ordinary, releasing into the market like every other game releases: SM3DW, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty Ghosts, just another game releasing into the market, nothing different about any ordinary well-known personell.

forethought14 said:
curl-6 said:

What? You're not making sense. Clearly 500,000 + people bought WSR knowing full well the release date, you wouldn't go out to buy a game at lauch as quick as possible unless you had some excitement over it (key word SOME). Excitement = hype; therefore WSR had enough hype to sell that much, though probably much of that was purchased by the people who were already fans of Wii Sports, which is likely a lot of people (that still counts as hype, even if they aren't spending countless hours on the internet talking about it like us gamers do about games). Like I said, everything has hype, it's the level of hype that'll determine how much it sells at launch. I wasn't the very hyped up person who bought it at launch (like I stated earlier), I didn't even buy WSR until late 2010 when I cared to even do it.

And plus, all this wasted time and I still don't see why you even brought up Wii Sports Resort in the first place. Sonic Lost World isn't Wii Sports Resort nor will it ever sell that well, (quite frankly, I don't think there will be another WSR-like phenomenon that'll happen anytime in the future. Even the mighty PS2's best selling game was roughly 20 million sold, 10 million short of WSR, and that's coming from a 155+million install base, over 55million more than Wii). WSR's results don't apply to SLW simply because there are no special circumstances (there is no Sonic version of the Wii Sports phenomenon) that would cause a sudden disconnection from the hype/sales relationship. So while WSR overall from its 30+million sales is sort of an anomally, Sonic Lost World is nothing out of the ordinary, releasing into the market like every other game releases: SM3DW, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty Ghosts, just another game releasing into the market, nothing different about any ordinary well-known personell.

Hype's relative. WSR didn't really have it in that there was no raging buzz prior to release.

You're right about one thing though, this discussion is a waste of time, it's long since gotten boring.

curl-6 said:

Hype's relative. WSR didn't really have it in that there was no raging buzz prior to release.

You're right about one thing though, this discussion is a waste of time, it's long since gotten boring.

Didn't have it? Then explain the 500,000+ customers then. Like I said, a bunch of likely customers were Wii Sports fans, a game which almost every Wii owner has. It may not be hyped up for you, but it sure was for those 500,000 + customers, which likely were not "core" gamers like us. Hype is universal, not only made for "core" gamers and game sites. 

WSR just was a terrible example because SLW isn't meeting the conditions WSR had; therefore, that entire discussion of WSR was completely irrelevant to it. Anyway, carry on I suppose....

forethought14 said:
curl-6 said:

Didn't have it? Then explain the 500,000+ customers then. Like I said, a bunch of likely customers were Wii Sports fans, a game which almost every Wii owner has. It may not be hyped up for you, but it sure was for those 500,000 + customers, which likely were not "core" gamers like us. Hype is universal, not only made for "core" gamers and game sites. 

WSR just was a terrible example because SLW isn't meeting the conditions WSR had; therefore, that entire discussion of WSR was completely irrelevant to it. Anyway, carry on I suppose....

Again, casuals don't care enough about gaming to engage in hype.

It didnt need to relate to Sonic specifically, just to show that sales and hype are not one and the same.