By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 surpassing total sells of XBOX360

that is very flawed - the sales will fluctuate a lot based on game releases and price drops

Around the Network

microsoft is six times bigger than sony in terms of market capitalization
microsoft had 14 billion dollars profit last year, sony 1 billion
microsoft's margins are many times better that sony's
sony is bleeding money on the ps3 already

point is microsoft can afford a price war much easier than sony can

Microsoft is making a profit on computer sales not video game sales

^_^

and sony needed 70 billion dollars of revenue to make 1 billion dollars of profit. that isn't a robust performance, i would venture to say that sony is losing big time with the ps3 and microSOFT sells software, not computers, sony sells computers, phones, consoles, tvs. you name it!

So, how many years till the PS3 passes the Wii?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ripper said:
and sony needed 70 billion dollars of revenue to make 1 billion dollars of profit. that isn't a robust performance, i would venture to say that sony is losing big time with the ps3 and microSOFT sells software, not computers, sony sells computers, phones, consoles, tvs. you name it!

This is why MS fails at making consoles. If you want to compete in leading edge consumer electronics, you have to be very good at manufacturing. Sony only makes 1 billion off of 70 because the cooperative market of hardware only allows them too.

Nintendo knows they can never compete with Sony on high end electronics manufacturing (they tried and failed twice), and because they seem smarter then MS in this regard, went a different direction.

Basically, Is MS playing in Sony's sandbox, and they are about to get there ass kicked for it... again.

Same thing would happen to Sony if they tried to compete with Microsoft Office.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
So, how many years till the PS3 passes the Wii?

Never.

Then again, when is the Wii going to take over PC's?

Never.

Being the HD consoles don't compete with the Wii, and the Wii does not compete with PC's, both comparisons are pointless ;) 

@realmafoo
Wii is competing with the HD consoles. All 3 are still dedicated home gaming machines. PC is seperate since gaming is not its primary function.

Welcome to VGCHARTZ Black RL. Though I think that your analysis is flawed, since a system does not always sell the same amount each week, I agree with your thinking that PS3 will overtake 360 in around 3 years as well.

ssj12 said:
I'm still leaning on the PS3 outselling the 360 by Fall/Winter 2008

That seems incredibly optimistic, though admittedly I would be quite pleased if it happened.

I think that the ps3 will pass up the 360 no later than 2010, but possibly mid to late '09 depending on when key games hit, price drops, how much the general public embraces Blu-Ray, etc.

If GT5 and FFXIII (as well as a few other smaller games [by comparison] like God of War 3 and whatever Team ICO is cooking up) are out in all territories by mid-2009, then I think the ps3 will have surpased the 360 by that point in time.

ikilledkenny said:
@realmafoo
Wii is competing with the HD consoles. All 3 are still dedicated home gaming machines. PC is seperate since gaming is not its primary function.

Welcome to VGCHARTZ Black RL. Though I think that your analysis is flawed, since a system does not always sell the same amount each week, I agree with your thinking that PS3 will overtake 360 in around 3 years as well.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that was the criteria. I guess the winning consoles at the moment than is the PS2, as it's still on the market and meets your definition.

So when will the Wii outsells the PS2 should be the question.