By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Xbox One and PS4 Doomed to follow in the footsteps of Wii U?

chapset said:
nope, they are not betting on the casual who are long gone (probably dead) or on some sort of gimmick as their main selling point and the pre-orders are at record high plus they have plenty of games for the first year

Nintendo is betting on the hardcore this gen.. which is precisely why they are failing. Which is also part of the reason the Xbone and PS4 will fail, or at least sell far less than their predecessors. Designing a console around the hardcore is a VERY poor business move, as Nintendo is currently learning the hard way with the Wii U.

I contend that Xbone will perform similarly, if not even worse than the Wii U. Think nearly twice the price of Wii U, in a shitty economy, with absolutely zero support from Japan and little from Europe, and there ya go..

PS4 will perhaps "win" by default if you really call it winning, but they will sell far less than even the PS3. Remember, Wii U also had "record pre orders" and a plethora of games in its first year, or so it seemed. But anyway, in the end, I do think Sony will sell the most hardware, with Wii U taking a close second, and the Xbone being left in the dust. This is going to be one hell of a depressing generation though sales wise, and there won't be a "winner" as much as a "best loser."

People are REALLY going to be in for a rude awakening when they see the sales of the next consoles from Sony and MS. Yes, Nintendo screwed a lot of things up, but a major part of the reason they are failing is because of the economy, and Sony and MS are about to feel the effects of that as well.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
chapset said:
nope, they are not betting on the casual who are long gone (probably dead) or on some sort of gimmick as their main selling point and the pre-orders are at record high plus they have plenty of games for the first year

Nintendo is betting on the hardcore this gen.. which is precisely why they are failing. Which is also part of the reason the Xbone and PS4 will fail, or at least sell far less than their predecessors.

I contend that Xbone will perform similarly, if not even worse than the Wii U. Think twice the price of Wii U, in a shitty economy, with absolutely zero support from Japan and little from Europe, and there ya go..

PS4 will perhaps "win" by default if you really call it winning, but they will sell far less than even the PS3. In the end, I think Sony will sell the most hardware, with Wii U taking a close second, and the Xbone being left in the dust.

People are REALLY going to be in for a rude awakening when they see the sales of the next consoles from Sony and MS. Yes, Nintendo screwed a lot of things up, but a major part of the reason they are failing is because of the economy, and Sony and MS are about to feel the effects of that as well.

The industry is growing not shrinking were do you think those sales are going? To the Ouya? you really expect a 400$ PS4 to sell less than the 600$ PS3 did, I mean come on. The industry is making more and more money yet because the wii U failed so many people hope the same thing will happen with the two others, not gonna happen guys, at least one of them will be a huge success if not both.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
Metallicube said:
chapset said:

Nintendo is betting on the hardcore this gen.. which is precisely why they are failing. Which is also part of the reason the Xbone and PS4 will fail, or at least sell far less than their predecessors.

I contend that Xbone will perform similarly, if not even worse than the Wii U. Think twice the price of Wii U, in a shitty economy, with absolutely zero support from Japan and little from Europe, and there ya go..

PS4 will perhaps "win" by default if you really call it winning, but they will sell far less than even the PS3. In the end, I think Sony will sell the most hardware, with Wii U taking a close second, and the Xbone being left in the dust.

The industry is growing not shrinking were do you think those sales are going? To the Ouya? you really expect a 400$ PS4 to sell less than the 600$ PS3 did, I mean come on. The industry is making more and more money yet because the wii U failed so many people hope the same thing will happen with the two others, not gonna happen guys, at least one of them will be a huge success if not both.

The industry is abolutely NOT growing, quite the opposite.. It's in a major decline and hemoraging money. There are company merges, buyouts, and bankrupcies all the time. Not sure where on earth you get that information that the industry is doing well.. Probably from the industry itself. The only thing that is growing is costs, which are skyrocketting to an unsuttainable pace. Nintendo was very aware of this, and they created the cheaper Wii essentially to prepare for and perhaps slow this massive decline, but alas, the industry foolishly shunned and ignored it, and now is headed back to its rapid decline once again.

Metallicube said:
chapset said:

The industry is abolutely NOT growing, quite the opposite.. It's in a major decline and hemoraging money. There are company merges, buyouts, and bankrupcies all the time. Not sure where on earth you get that information that the industry is doing well.. Probably from the industry itself. The only thing that is growing is costs, which are skyrocketting to an unsuttainable pace. Nintendo was very aware of this, and they created the cheaper Wii essentially to prepare for and perhaps slow this massive decline, but alas, the industry foolishly shunned and ignored it, and now is headed back to its rapid decline once again.

How dare you bring facts into this - it's clearly just because the WiiU fans want to see the PS4/XB1 fail... ¬_¬

Metallicube said:
chapset said:
Metallicube said:
chapset said:

Year Video game industry revenue Source(s) Inflation (2012)

[43]

2011 $65 billion Reuters $66.2 billion
2010 $62.7 billion Reuters $65.88 billion
2009 $60.4 billion [14] [15] $64.5 billion
2008 $54 billion [16] $57.46 billion
2007 $41.7 billion [17] $46.08 billion

come on man, stop making things up

''A series of new reports from DFC Intelligence forecasts that the global market for video games is expected to grow from $67 billion in 2012 to $82 billion in 2017. This forecast includes revenue from dedicated console hardware and software (both physical and online), dedicated portable hardware and software, PC games and games for mobile devices such as mobile phones, tablets, music players and other devices that can play games as a secondary feature.''

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/18/new-reports-forecasts-global-video-game-industry-will-reach-82-billion-by-2017/

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
chapset said:
Metallicube said:

Year Video game industry revenue Source(s) Inflation (2012)

[43]

2011 $65 billion Reuters $66.2 billion
2010 $62.7 billion Reuters $65.88 billion
2009 $60.4 billion [14] [15] $64.5 billion
2008 $54 billion [16] $57.46 billion
2007 $41.7 billion [17] $46.08 billion

come on man, stop making things up

''A series of new reports from DFC Intelligence forecasts that the global market for video games is expected to grow from $67 billion in 2012 to $82 billion in 2017. This forecast includes revenue from dedicated console hardware and software (both physical and online), dedicated portable hardware and software, PC games and games for mobile devices such as mobile phones, tablets, music players and other devices that can play games as a secondary feature.''

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/18/new-reports-forecasts-global-video-game-industry-will-reach-82-billion-by-2017/

Wow, you really don't get it do you?

What he's saying is that the industry is not sustainable under the current model.  Unless you're someone like Activision or EA it's becoming more and more apparent that many of these big games are not making enough for what they cost to make.

Why do you think that SE was disappointed by the sales of Tomb Raider despite the game selling over 3m copies in its first month?

Why do you think that so many Sony studios were closed recently?  Did Zipper, Psygnosis, 989 Studios, Incognito, Lightbox Interactive, SuperBot, Sony Liverpool and Sony Cambridge just decide they didn't like making video games anymore?

How about THQ, Factor 5, Bizzare Creations and dozens of other devs in the last five years?

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/depressing-list-of-studios-that-have-closed-in-this-generation/

Did they just shut down for the hell of it?

Perhaps you should try reading this article, also from Forbes.com, and watch the following YT video:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/06/14/why-xbox-one-and-ps4-have-me-worried-for-the-future-of-games/

landguy1 said:
scottie said:
kljesta64 said:
right now games dont play a big role..PS4 and XOX are more defined then Wii U and that is what will sell them.

Yep, because people sit in the shops thinking "Well, this console has the games I want to play, but this one has a better definition"

Sales are 70% games, 20% price, 8% marketing/definition, 2% other

If you think sales are only 8% marketing, you are crazy.  For the core gamers, its about the games probably 60% of the time, but most of them end up getting both or all of the consoles.  But for most of the casuals or genreal population it is all about marketing.  They don't research meta scores or come to gaming websites to get insight from people using the system.  They read or see ads for products and when they think that they need a new game system, they buy the one they recognize the most from the advertising.  Of course they may be infuenced by what friends/relatives buy too, but most of them also bought based on the advertising.

Ok, lets say we have 2 consoles. Core gamers are told that if they buy either console, they will be shot immediately.

Console A only has one game, it is Fire Emblem. It is advertised on Opera, in women's interest magazines, on tv.

Console B has one game, it is Wii Sports. It is not advertised, and has to rely on word of mouth.

Which console will sell better to the casual market?

Marketing is not really important, if you have the right games, and the price isn't ludicrously high, word of mouth will provide better advertising than the actual advertising. True for Wii Sports, true for Halo, true for Wii, for PS2, for pretty much everything.

Cubedramirez said:

Games rule. Doesn't really matter how powerful a console is. Sony and Microsoft both have ample games to meet everyone's needs early on to grab the all important early adopters. Nintendo, no matter how much I love its games failed to understand the need for a decent launch selection of games and failed to provide a console seller.

PS4 and Xone's lauches have similar multiplatforms compared to wii u's launch. and they don't have a system seller either.

Yes. They are doomed and anybody that disagrees is a racist. The PS3 and 360 are such awesome beasts that they will discourage the vast majority from upgrading. Sorry.

I don't think Xbox One and PS4 will have a bad launch compare to the Wii U, but I do feel these upcoming big triple A game will crash the industry, I predict 2015. Some games development cost, I heard, are close to reaching the billion  point which explain this "80$" deal.

Its bound to happen next gen and if it does.......

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke