By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Xbox One and PS4 Doomed to follow in the footsteps of Wii U?

teigaga said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Well first let me say that I'm not saying they wont launch well. Like all consoles, even the Wii U, they will launch well due to them hardcore gamers you're talking about. They'll no doubt sell out at launch, but that's not what this thread is about. It's on discussing how well they'll do right after launch. Thread title ask if they'll follow the Wii U's footsteps afterall. So what I'm saying is that while people will of course buy the consoles eventually, it just might not be for a while, hence a slow start for PS4/XO after launch. Like you said, people will always wait to buy, hence why this slow start has went down with every other console that isn't the PS2/Wii. I actually don't remember past launch line-ups, so I can't comment there, but I also don't remember such fierce competition from the previous gen either.

Yeah, I was refering to the whole launch window and following summer. Not just launch month.

For the same reasons above, I simply can't see them suffering the same fate. Again I think people underestimate the amount that went wrong with the Wii U:

-Its name, the poorly communicated gimmick, not even nintendo knows what to do with the pad
-who on earth was the system aimed at? If at core gamers, the fact that it couldn't demonstrate a clear leap over 7 old consoles was clearly a weak point.
-The fact that ALL the most anticipated 3rd party titles skipped it
-The fact that it had no strong support of any kind until last week (pikmin 3)
-The fact that it in early 2013, the only games that were even announced for it were Rayman, Pikmin and Wonderful 101.

Its simply not logical to think that the ps4/X1 will suffer the same fate, because they won't be presented with the same circumstances.
-Microsoft and Sony's advertising is already better,  they've put a focus on the console, not a control. Plus their names are not stupid :p
-Their initial audience is hardcore gamers, there is no confusing that.
-The only big 2014 titles not coming to next gen is Lightning returns and Dark souls 2. 
-We haven't even reached gamescon, but there are already more next gen exclusives announced for 2014 then there are current gen. 

Will their sales drop? Sure... No one is saying that they will sell wii numbers and constantly be sold out throughout 2014. But to say they will suffer the same fate of the Wii U is to suggest that they will drop to 10k in each region. Chances of that happening in North America and Europe are very slim IMO.

But you're forgetting the ps4 and xone will have to face wii u + being more expensive than it was at launch. I haven't seen any advertising for those, how can it be better?

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
teigaga said:

Yeah, I was refering to the whole launch window and following summer. Not just launch month.

For the same reasons above, I simply can't see them suffering the same fate. Again I think people underestimate the amount that went wrong with the Wii U:

-Its name, the poorly communicated gimmick, not even nintendo knows what to do with the pad
-who on earth was the system aimed at? If at core gamers, the fact that it couldn't demonstrate a clear leap over 7 old consoles was clearly a weak point.
-The fact that ALL the most anticipated 3rd party titles skipped it
-The fact that it had no strong support of any kind until last week (pikmin 3)
-The fact that it in early 2013, the only games that were even announced for it were Rayman, Pikmin and Wonderful 101.

Its simply not logical to think that the ps4/X1 will suffer the same fate, because they won't be presented with the same circumstances.
-Microsoft and Sony's advertising is already better,  they've put a focus on the console, not a control. Plus their names are not stupid :p
-Their initial audience is hardcore gamers, there is no confusing that.
-The only big 2014 titles not coming to next gen is Lightning returns and Dark souls 2. 
-We haven't even reached gamescon, but there are already more next gen exclusives announced for 2014 then there are current gen. 

Will their sales drop? Sure... No one is saying that they will sell wii numbers and constantly be sold out throughout 2014. But to say they will suffer the same fate of the Wii U is to suggest that they will drop to 10k in each region. Chances of that happening in North America and Europe are very slim IMO.

But you're forgetting the ps4 and xone will have to face wii u + being more expensive than it was at launch. I haven't seen any advertising for those, how can it be better?

Nintendo's fall line up is largely targeting a different demographic, its exclusive are soley platformers (mario, sonic, DK). Its 3rd party line up is redundant, if you care about 3rd party titles you would probably buy a ps4/X1.

Promotional pics for the Wii U- It looks like a peripheral, the console is pushed to back and looks too similar to the 1st wii.

The PS4 box has the console standing out, bold design, highly distinguished from its predecessor. Same with the Xbox.

anthony64641 said:

@Captain_Tom 

Stating that it COULD happen doesnt mean with Will or that i want it too.

Well then I would have to ask why you think it will?   Nothing indicates it, and everything indicates they will do very well.  

Also if you don't want it to happen, ok that's fine.  But I you have no idea how many people would say "Yes."

chapset said:
archbrix said:

Wow, you really don't get it do you?

What he's saying is that the industry is not sustainable under the current model.  Unless you're someone like Activision or EA it's becoming more and more apparent that many of these big games are not making enough for what they cost to make.

Why do you think that SE was disappointed by the sales of Tomb Raider despite the game selling over 3m copies in its first month?

Why do you think that so many Sony studios were closed recently?  Did Zipper, Psygnosis, 989 Studios, Incognito, Lightbox Interactive, SuperBot, Sony Liverpool and Sony Cambridge just decide they didn't like making video games anymore?

How about THQ, Factor 5, Bizzare Creations and dozens of other devs in the last five years?

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/depressing-list-of-studios-that-have-closed-in-this-generation/

Did they just shut down for the hell of it?

Perhaps you should try reading this article, also from Forbes.com, and watch the following YT video:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/06/14/why-xbox-one-and-ps4-have-me-worried-for-the-future-of-games/

Sony, Microsoft, nintendo are posting profits the biggest players in the industry are making money  yet it's tha Doooooooooooooooomed ho noes!!! console gaming is now the new pc gaming doomed for eternity, This gen must have been the first gen were gaming companies closed down it's not like other new companies were made as if they Respawned

Way to miss the point... again.

But your @bolded response above is typical from someone with nothing more to say, so, carry on...

No, I believe that both companies will learn from Nintendo's massive stumbling with the Wii U and manage to have better stability with sales after launch, mainly due to the fact that even if there is a delay in first party, they at least have third party to fall back on where the Wii U does not have that support.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network
archbrix said:
chapset said:
archbrix said:

Wow, you really don't get it do you?

What he's saying is that the industry is not sustainable under the current model.  Unless you're someone like Activision or EA it's becoming more and more apparent that many of these big games are not making enough for what they cost to make.

Why do you think that SE was disappointed by the sales of Tomb Raider despite the game selling over 3m copies in its first month?

Why do you think that so many Sony studios were closed recently?  Did Zipper, Psygnosis, 989 Studios, Incognito, Lightbox Interactive, SuperBot, Sony Liverpool and Sony Cambridge just decide they didn't like making video games anymore?

How about THQ, Factor 5, Bizzare Creations and dozens of other devs in the last five years?

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/depressing-list-of-studios-that-have-closed-in-this-generation/

Did they just shut down for the hell of it?

Perhaps you should try reading this article, also from Forbes.com, and watch the following YT video:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/06/14/why-xbox-one-and-ps4-have-me-worried-for-the-future-of-games/

Sony, Microsoft, nintendo are posting profits the biggest players in the industry are making money  yet it's tha Doooooooooooooooomed ho noes!!! console gaming is now the new pc gaming doomed for eternity, This gen must have been the first gen were gaming companies closed down it's not like other new companies were made as if they Respawned

But your @bolded response above is typical from someone with nothing more to say, so, carry on...

yeah and you keep hoping for the industry to collapse because your beloved Nintendo isn't doing so hot

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
archbrix said:
chapset said:

yeah and you keep hoping for the industry to collapse because your beloved Nintendo isn't doing so hot

Right... because the market collapsing would mean great things for Nintendo...

archbrix said:
chapset said:
archbrix said:
chapset said:

So they can save it like they did last time dummy, you didn't go to your last Nintendomination briefing it seems

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
archbrix said:
chapset said:

So they can save it like they did last time dummy, you didn't go to your last Nintendomination briefing it seems

Nice generalization there.  And resorting to name calling?  I see I struck a nerve, lol.

archbrix said:
chapset said:
archbrix said:
chapset said:

Nice generalization there.  And resorting to name calling?  I see I struck a nerve, lol.

you sure did random guy from the Internet