By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Xbox One and PS4 Doomed to follow in the footsteps of Wii U?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that WiiU didn't have a single first party release after day one until just recently with Luigi and Pikmin. When you factor that in with the lacking 3rd party support and the fact that it's the most expensive console on the market, it's quite clear why it has done abysmally.

The new consoles won't have that kind of game drought to worry about, so I really don't expect either to sell quite so poorly.

However, will their sales drop off in 2014 more than many people here expect them to? Very possible.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that WiiU didn't have a single first party release after day one until just recently with Luigi and Pikmin. When you factor that in with the lacking 3rd party support and the fact that it's the most expensive console on the market, it's quite clear why it has done abysmally.

The new consoles won't have that kind of game drought to worry about, so I really don't expect either to sell quite so poorly.

However, will their sales drop off in 2014 more than many people here expect them to? Very possible.

Ur wrong, Game & Wario was released in between. But I completely agree with what ur saying, G&W and Lego City were the only exclusives released in the first half of the year and Injustice was the only major multiplat that easnt a late port.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

anthony64641 said:

I was talking about this eariler.. its completely possible for this to happen. mainly because current generation console still have alot of life still in them, i know alot of my friends who aren't ready to move to next generation console ether there not to interested in the ps4/xbox one or they see no need to upgrade yet

what the hell they're older than Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube were when their successors came!  Why can't people move on this time?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Hype for PS4 is far beyond anything I saw for WiiU or even PS3 to be honest. People love a cheaper PS home console. I think people are underestimating the PS brand especially outside the US for home consoles.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

The ps4 hype kinda remind me of the hype the vita had.....

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
anthony64641 said:

I was talking about this eariler.. its completely possible for this to happen. mainly because current generation console still have alot of life still in them, i know alot of my friends who aren't ready to move to next generation console ether there not to interested in the ps4/xbox one or they see no need to upgrade yet

what the hell they're older than Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube were when their successors came!  Why can't people move on this time?

"Hardcore gamers" aside (which in fact represent a relatively small market), most people are indeed not ready to jump to next gen, why? because developers aren't ready either. As long as the big games keep coming to the PS360 the normal consumer won't have any need to upgrade, but like many people already said, this will change when publishers and developers completely ignore the current gen consoles.

Given that dev cost are ridiculously high, most publishers will be scared to just simple ignore a 156 million user base (both the PS3 and 360) and thus the reason why we are seeing a lot of games (especially from Ubisoft) which are coming to almost all platforms. I personally believe this won't change until both the PS4 and X1 are 1 year on the market (and who knows maybe even longer). The next CoD (not Ghost) will most likely going to be on the PS360 as well.

Nintendo and PC gamer

All I know, is that doom and gloom articles will be all over the place once the X1 and PS4 is launched and they will pounce on any sign of slow sales.

Games rule. Doesn't really matter how powerful a console is. Sony and Microsoft both have ample games to meet everyone's needs early on to grab the all important early adopters. Nintendo, no matter how much I love its games failed to understand the need for a decent launch selection of games and failed to provide a console seller.

I obviously don't know, but I think we will see all consoles struggle at least for some time after their launch. I believe that the console market will shrink this generation, and I also think that the PS360 which are still going strong will hurt sales of PS4 and Xbone just as they hurt Wii U's sales. It's similar to PS2 hurting PS360 initially, with Wii being an exception because of its wide-spread appeal at the time due to the novelty of motion controls back then. So yes, we may see PS4 and Xbone struggling similar to Wii U, though I believe they will perform a bit better than Wii U. In the end it will probably be similar to this generation, and I expect all 3 consoles to profit their respective manufactures. No doom here, even though it is a strong possibility that it will seem like it at first.

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

teigaga said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
teigaga said:
Ouroboros24 said:

lol, people don't buy things just because they can afford them. That'd be uber foolish as you'd be broke in no time. The real question is why would anyone pay $460+ to play a game they could buy for $60? Even if you don't already have a console, it'd still make more sense to buy a PS3 or 360 instead of an 8th gen console for any of the many cross gen games. Also, GTA5 may be releasing before the holidays, but it will still play a major role during them, so add that to the list of PS360 exclusives aswell.

You've missed my point though. These are consoles which people HAVE to buy at some point if they want to experience the future of gaming (FFXV, Witcher, Devision, Battlefield, Mirrors edge 2, Mass Effect, New Ips and obviously exclusives: Halo,  infamous, the order, naughty dogs title etc). Becuase informed gamers know these systems are garunteed a bright future there is less need for incentive at launch although their is still plenty of benefits if you do make the dip (exclusives :more then current gen+ superior versions of 3rd party titles+better services /OS/unique console features. They are not paying $460 for a game they can buy for $60, they are payin $400 for the future of games. Also lets not pretend that PS4/Xbox1 do not have better exclusives at  launch then their predecessors or the Wii U did in the same period.  Already they are in a better position.

And of course gamers who are more tight with their wallets may wait, but that has ALWAYS been the case. This is why systems sell their most in the 3rd/4th year when developers have completely abondoned the last gen consoles, and the new consoles are normally $100/$150 cheaper then they were at launch.
Neither the Xbox 1, nor the PS4 need that audience in order to have a very successfull year 1. 

As for GTA, it comes out in september, the majority of people who wait till the holiday to buy it probably not the demographic who buy consoles at launch anyway. 

Well first let me say that I'm not saying they wont launch well. Like all consoles, even the Wii U, they will launch well due to them hardcore gamers you're talking about. They'll no doubt sell out at launch, but that's not what this thread is about. It's on discussing how well they'll do right after launch. Thread title ask if they'll follow the Wii U's footsteps afterall. So what I'm saying is that while people will of course buy the consoles eventually, it just might not be for a while, hence a slow start for PS4/XO after launch. Like you said, people will always wait to buy, hence why this slow start has went down with every other console that isn't the PS2/Wii. I actually don't remember past launch line-ups, so I can't comment there, but I also don't remember such fierce competition from the previous gen either.