By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Xbox One and PS4 Doomed to follow in the footsteps of Wii U?

The doom and gloom seems to be focused squarely on Wii U.  Not even Nintendo as a whole since they have been selling the most console with the 3ds and sales of their software has also been fantastic, through again the 3ds.  What I'm wondering is how will the Xbox one and ps4 do after the initial release sometime this holiday season?

I'll be first to say it, the PS4 and XBox one are magnificent devices, powerful, beautiful and even a little bit intimidating.  Great stuff, but who is going to buy it.  I'm not.  I want to, don't get me wrong.  I have the xbox 360 and ps3 to tide me over, plus i'm never impressed by any launch game so I'll be trying to catch both about a year and a half later.  If I had the money, I would scoop both up day 1, but I don't, so sad for me.

My question is, are the xbox one and PS4 going to suffer the same thing Wii U is going through now?  There are many factors that may just have it play that way.  For one, the two systems are very identical.  It's another red ocean for both consoles.  Fans will either opt for one and not get both.  The starting price is over $400.  Remember the PS3 and Xbox 360 slow slumps in 2007?  COD: Ghosts will be on the ps3 and xbox, no need to get it on PS4 or xbone.  Software sells consoles, they both have to have something killer if they want to start pumping those machines to the masses.

What do you think?  Is the Wii U a harbinger of what's to come for these two arriving consoles? 

Around the Network

nope, they are not betting on the casual who are long gone (probably dead) or on some sort of gimmick as their main selling point and the pre-orders are at record high plus they have plenty of games for the first year

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I was talking about this eariler.. its completely possible for this to happen. mainly because current generation console still have alot of life still in them, i know alot of my friends who aren't ready to move to next generation console ether there not to interested in the ps4/xbox one or they see no need to upgrade yet

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

If they deliver a steady stream of exclusives, then no I don't see them suffering the same fate as the Wii U. If the Wii U delivers all the way to Christmas and beyond as promised, I can see it actually competing.

It will, but I don't think it'll be as bad as the Wii U. At launch, they'll already have a lot of games that people want.

Around the Network

I think they will sell similarly to PS360 first year, 6-8 million, not horrible but nothing amazing

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Most gaming consoles seem to go through this curve - initial hype with good day 1 sales, then a slump for 6-12 months accompanied by proclamations of doom and gloom, then a gradual increase in sales, peaking around year 3-4 accompanied by proclamations of "best console ever".

I can't think of any reason why XB1 and PS4 won't follow this pattern.

no

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I sure hope not. I'd hate to see a video game crash occur at this time. Who knows they might start off sluggish or average, but after that I expect them to pick up.

PS2 and Wii are the only console released this century that havent had a slow post launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.